Old news, but keep an eye on your Delta flights

pcur

All direct flights from Atlanta to Stockholm in Sept. have been cancelled. Flights now go on Air France to PARIS with a change to Stockhom or Northwest from Atlanta to Amsterdam with a change to Stockholm.

I know this has happened to others, because I read about it here.

I was checking my Delta flights for this September, LAX - HNL, and Delta had change us from a nonstop out of LAX - HNL to LAX-SLC-HNL. I was shocked to find us going EAST to Salt Lake City and then WEST to Honolulu.

What was even stranger to me is our original flight was still on their schedule!! They had just bumped us from a nonstop over to a 1-stop. So, I called them up and said I wanted back on the flight I had paid for, and I had a ship to catch, so arriving 3.5 hours later than planned wasn't good for us. She changed us back to the nonstop out of LAX, and I signed up for a one-time alert if there's anymore changes. I'll have to re-sign up each time there's a change, but at least I can keep on top of it.

My guess is they could sell my seat for a higher price on the nonstop. We got our fares for $335 pp roundtrip, and they are more expensive now.

A question for those in the know: What method do carriers use in determining why or how to reschedule passengers? Is it totally random? In the OP's case her original flight hadn't even changed, so why rebook her? And in my case a connecting flight was cancelled but why then reschedule me on a connecting flight that I can't possibly make, unless it happens to be delayed for 3+ hours? If I hadn't checked my flight until my scheduled flight was approaching and then tried to change and found most flights booked am I then S.O.L.? Is there any recourse for passengers if this happens?

Sorry for the million questions. :)

My flight from SAN to ATL was changed, the original flight left at 1:10, new departure was 1:20 pm. I was changed to a 11:15 am flight - no way would I make that flight.

When I checked, the original flight was still available, but the cost more than doubled from what I paid. Was DL trying to fill the seat with a passenger who paid more??

From what I could determine, the type of aircraft did not change, just the departure time and the cost.

There is a lot of fleet and schedule rationalization going on right now. I subscribe to a Twitter feed on routings and get lots of changes happening - both with frequencies and equipment. It's not a big conspiracy to screw you over and resell your seat to someone else. The OP was most likely changed due to an equipment swap, which is happening LAX-HNL. Without more specifics, and without the OP presenting what the original and revised equipment was, it's impossible to be certain, but that's the most likely.

For others who have been switched and say their original flight is "still there", it may very well have been a subtle equipment swap. For example, DL has at least 7 different 757 configurations and changing one for another may trigger the reservation change. It all depends on the specific criteria that each airline has in their internal systems.

I'll be the first to admit that the "automatic" rescheduling systems have a ton of bugs in the programming. I too have had changes made that were impossibilities. But every time, it has worked out in the end.

A couple of "rules" to remember:

1) Your airline ticket is to get you from ABC to XYZ. The times and routings are NOT locked in stone. Neither are your seat assignments.

2) It is ultimately your own responsibility to keep on top of your travel plans. As such, know your flights, times, routing and equipment so that you can be aware of anything that changes.

3) As part of #2, have a routine for checking on a regular basis. Determine your own "comfort level" and do it daily, weekly, monthly or whatever YOU are comfortable with. (my suggestion - once or twice a week. Less and you may miss a change for a while and get stuck with a bad alternative - more and it might become obsessive).

4) Know what your alternatives might be and keep an eye on them as well.

For those who are curious, the airline route changes blog page is HERE. The Twitter page is HERE.

There is a lot of fleet and schedule rationalization going on right now. I subscribe to a Twitter feed on routings and get lots of changes happening - both with frequencies and equipment. It's not a big conspiracy to screw you over and resell your seat to someone else. The OP was most likely changed due to an equipment swap, which is happening LAX-HNL. Without more specifics, and without the OP presenting what the original and revised equipment was, it's impossible to be certain, but that's the most likely.

For others who have been switched and say their original flight is "still there", it may very well have been a subtle equipment swap. For example, DL has at least 7 different 757 configurations and changing one for another may trigger the reservation change. It all depends on the specific criteria that each airline has in their internal systems.

I'll be the first to admit that the "automatic" rescheduling systems have a ton of bugs in the programming. I too have had changes made that were impossibilities. But every time, it has worked out in the end.

A couple of "rules" to remember:

1) Your airline ticket is to get you from ABC to XYZ. The times and routings are NOT locked in stone. Neither are your seat assignments.

2) It is ultimately your own responsibility to keep on top of your travel plans. As such, know your flights, times, routing and equipment so that you can be aware of anything that changes.

3) As part of #2, have a routine for checking on a regular basis. Determine your own "comfort level" and do it daily, weekly, monthly or whatever YOU are comfortable with. (my suggestion - once or twice a week. Less and you may miss a change for a while and get stuck with a bad alternative - more and it might become obsessive).

4) Know what your alternatives might be and keep an eye on them as well.

For those who are curious, the airline route changes blog page is HERE. The Twitter page is HERE.

FlyTalker, is the information in that blog 100% accurate? If so, how long before the carrier's website updates their information? For instance that blog stated that starting September 1st Delta would switch from flying a 747-400 on their ATL-HNL flights to an Airbus 330-300, but Delta still has a 747-400 listed for their November dates....?

And on a side note, for people that have flown both, which is preferrable?

He takes the info from the GDS system updates.

All information are based on the flight schedule data loaded in the airline GDS system on the day of posting. Further changes is expected as individual airlines reserve the rights to modify flights at anytime, and is subject to change without notice

Note these information posted here are forgeneral reference only.

I would be in the A330 over the formerly NW 747s. Better AVOD in coach, 2-4-2 layout. Newer aircraft.

Part of all the equipment changes of late involve Delta's shuffling of "former" NWA's aircraft onto Delta routes, especially longhaul. I'm not quite sure why there is a 747 on ATL-HNL, but it's there (for now). The change to an A330 may be seasonal, or perhaps the 747 is needed somewhere else during the Fall.

I noted this earlier, but I flew a NWA 747 DTW-AMS, and then an A330-300 AMS-MEM. The A330 is a much more comfortable aircraft, in my opinion. The newer paneling and seats make the aircraft seem more spacious, and the AVOD is definitely a big plus. The window seats (and a few others in each row) have badly chopped legroom, unfortunately, due to the entertainment system box below the seat, so choose your seat wisely on the Airbus. I'm not particularly pleased to hear that Delta is getting rid of NWA's comfy seats fitting the aircraft with new leather ones, but still it should be a much more comfortable flight than one on the 747-400. It's also nice to have the 2X3X2 arrangement, so if you are travelling as a pair, one can have the aisle and one can have the window.

But I do have to again say that Delta DOES seem to be the worst US airline with regards to flight changes. And rarely have they notified me of them. Airlines are still offering passengers a service that is paid for, and I do think they hold the responsibility of notifying passengers when they change a flight.

Ok, we are flying from ATL to HNL on Sept 25, 2009. According to Delta seat arrangement, it is a 747 - 400, seat configuration 3-4-3. At least, this is the aircraft showing for my flight as of 30 minutes ago. I will have to keep checking. Fly Talker, thank you for your suggestions, I will check twice a week for changes.

Well I must say you guys have really got me worrying now. I just booked myself, DH and 2 friends a Delta flight from LAX to FLL in Feb next year. We arrive in LAX at 6.30 pm and are going direct to FLL on the 10.30pm flight with Delta.

What are the chances that the flight will change. We want to go direct because we will probably get lost if we don't - first time in USA. We also liked the idea of getting in early into Fort Lauderdale and having a whole day and night before the ship sails the following day.

I must say also that Delta is just starting to get aggressive in the Australian market. They are trying to compete against Qantas and our newest airline V Australia. They will need to "pull their socks up" regarding customer service if they are wanting to get anywhere in our market. We just don't tolerate cancellations or rescheduling especially if we aren't even notified. They wouldn't last long at all. Interesting. Time will tell.

Most people in Aus will pay that little bit more for comfort and service and loyalty plays a big part. This is the first time we will not be travelling Qantas - either internationally or domestic. We will be trying V Australia - they have been getting some really good reviews. But if they don't come up to scratch - we will ditch them and go back to Qantas. They only get once chance.

Well I must say you guys have really got me worrying now. I just booked myself' date=' DH and 2 friends a Delta flight from LAX to FLL in Feb next year. We arrive in LAX at 6.30 pm and are going direct to FLL on the 10.30pm flight with Delta.

What are the chances that the flight will change. We want to go direct because we will probably get lost if we don't - first time in USA. We also liked the idea of getting in early into Fort Lauderdale and having a whole day and night before the ship sails the following day.

I must say also that Delta is just starting to get aggressive in the Australian market. They are trying to compete against Qantas and our newest airline V Australia. They will need to "pull their socks up" regarding customer service if they are wanting to get anywhere in our market. We just don't tolerate cancellations or rescheduling especially if we aren't even notified. They wouldn't last long at all. Interesting. Time will tell.

Most people in Aus will pay that little bit more for comfort and service and loyalty plays a big part. This is the first time we will not be travelling Qantas - either internationally or domestic. We will be trying V Australia - they have been getting some really good reviews. But if they don't come up to scratch - we will ditch them and go back to Qantas. They only get once chance.[/quote']

Since you are on a "red eye" (overnight flight) from LAX to FLL, my guess is they might move the time up earlier for your 10:30 flight, or put you on a later arrival in LAX than 6:30. But, with 4 hours layover in LAX already, you've go plenty of "wiggle room" as we say. Just keep an eye on your reservation so you know if there are any changes.

Since you are on a "red eye" (overnight flight) from LAX to FLL, my guess is they might move the time up earlier for your 10:30 flight,
One source shows that's a 10:10 departure now. Keep giving it a check. There will be little major difference unless the route gets canceled completely. Arrival around 6:30 in the morning makes for an excellent departure out of FLL for the remainder of the airplane's routing.

Give it a weekly check from now through November for those minor changes.

or put you on a later arrival in LAX than 6:30.
OP is arriving on V-Australia, so DL will not be changing THAT schedule.
But, with 4 hours layover in LAX already, you've go plenty of "wiggle room" as we say.
Note that you will have to clear immigration and customs, do luggage drop, then make your way from the TBIT to T5 at LAX. There, you will have security screening before making your way to the gate area.

Just checked our reservation for a quick long weekend trip we are taking from MSP to RSW this fall, and found that our return flight had been changed from a nonstop to a connection through DTW with a 4hr layover (just not worth it for a long weekend). Fortunately, was able to reroute on a later nonstop without penalty.

Patterson....GDS is now showing the ATL-HNL flight will be operated on a 330. So get those seats NOW, as there's a big cabin difference between the 747 and 330.

Airlineroute was right again. There are some guys with the "pipeline" in addition to the public GDS knowledge. He's in that bunch. A couple other on FT like that...amazing.

Patterson....GDS is now showing the ATL-HNL flight will be operated on a 330. So get those seats NOW, as there's a big cabin difference between the 747 and 330.

Airlineroute was right again. There are some guys with the "pipeline" in addition to the public GDS knowledge. He's in that bunch. A couple other on FT like that...amazing.

Thanks FlyerTalker, The airplane has also been changed on Delta's website! I'm really excited because the A330's apparently have personal TV's in each seat, which is a huge advantage on a 9 hr flight to large projections at the front of the cabin (Like on the 747)...The only downfall is it looks like the 747 is much faster than the A330 as our flight time is about 45 minutes longer than the 747 flight would've been....

I was told by Delta that they only notify you 45 days out from the flight.

I said, thanks but I do not want to sit in the back of the plane so lets go ahead and change my seats. They cancelled the early flight I was on so now I have only a 50 minute layover in Atlanta for an international flight.

here is a web site for you all to check your seats. It has saved me from having that one seat (usually 13) that does not have a window.

www.seatguru.com

It works.

K

I just checked our CLT to HNL flight for September - yes the aircraft changed from a 747 to an A330. Unfortunately, we lost our exit row seats.

I called Delta to discover what happened to our prefered seats (we paid extra for them) and was told someone with more miles claimed them.

At the same time, one leg of the return flight changed departure by 10 minutes - same aircraft, same flight number - but Delta reassigned seats. - again lost exit row and can't get them back.

I specifically asked why I wasn't notified, the person said with the NW merger, than had over 20,000 changes and were not able to notify all. Again, because my flight wasn't until the end of September, flights may change again.

It was strongly suggested that I frequently (weekly) check our flights. This was our first time on Delta, doesn't seem to be a positive experience. I would try to rebook on a different airline, except the fare has more than doubled.

DL and NW are more aggressively reserving exit row seating for elites. If you don't have status and they are unavailable, the best strategy for domestic travel is to be checking seat assignment availability at the 5, 3 and 1 day out points. Reason - this is when the automated upgrading of elites occurs, and their coach seats now become available. For example, was just upgraded for my flights this weekend. Two exit row aisle seats (myself and Mrs FT) came open as we moved up front. If nothing then, try at the 24 hour mark when you do OLCI - see if there are better seats then, as "elite" seats often get released then. Finally, check at the gate podium if there are elites receiving gate upgrades - if so, their seats in back are now "free" for reassignment.

Here is my story. Booked way back on Delta departing 9/23/09 Atlanta to Honolulu and return on 10/3/09. Aircraft has changed three times but flight times are pretty close to the same. The thing I experienced was when I went today just to look, we are in fact on the Air Bus 330 and we were now in two separate areas of the plane! I have put our seats back together. Also, look at how far back the power ports go. I gave up a good view window seat to be over the wing with a power port. Hope I made right choice. AND NOW, no wi-fi on these planes either!!! I was hoping to have more entertainment than a movie, but oh well. You folks are right! Check it often.

Okay. Husband has just come in and mentioned the 330's are the ones with pblm and crash stats more than usual he thought. It doesn't bother him, he was just messing with me, but can you smart flyer people ease my mind a little? I know I am safer in a plane than a car, but are these safe airplanes statistically, oh great flying minds?

The A330 has probably fewer hull losses and accidents than other aircraft with similar numbers and lifespan. With the exception of Soviet aircraft being maintained in 3rd (or 4th) world countries, I don't worry whether I'm on an Airbus or Boeing or MacDac or Embraer or Bombardier or whatever.

Also, there is no wifi on any NW aircraft, so I'm not sure what the "boo-hoo" is about. You weren't getting it on the 747, and even on DL planes with it, you don't have anywhere near the bandwidth to be watching streaming videos onboard. So just what was that "entertainment" you needed??

The A330 has probably the most advanced AVOD in the combined DL/NW fleet, so you should be happy. And if not, I'm not sure what you would want. As for giving up the nice window seat...your choice as to whether having onboard power is worth that tradeoff.

The A330 has probably fewer hull losses and accidents than other aircraft with similar numbers and lifespan. With the exception of Soviet aircraft being maintained in 3rd (or 4th) world countries, I don't worry whether I'm on an Airbus or Boeing or MacDac or Embraer or Bombardier or whatever.

Also, there is no wifi on any NW aircraft, so I'm not sure what the "boo-hoo" is about. You weren't getting it on the 747, and even on DL planes with it, you don't have anywhere near the bandwidth to be watching streaming videos onboard. So just what was that "entertainment" you needed??

The A330 has probably the most advanced AVOD in the combined DL/NW fleet, so you should be happy. And if not, I'm not sure what you would want. As for giving up the nice window seat...your choice as to whether having onboard power is worth that tradeoff.

Wasn't the Air France flight that went down in the Atlantic an A330? Or am I mistaken?...But even if it was, don't misunderstand me- I'm not worried at all about flying an A330 and am not saying they are more succeptable to crashes than any other airplane...just making an observation.

Wasn't the Air France flight that went down in the Atlantic an A330? Or am I mistaken?...But even if it was, don't misunderstand me- I'm not worried at all about flying an A330 and am not saying they are more succeptable to crashes than any other airplane...just making an observation.
Yes....and a 747 crashed in Japan...and a DC-10 crashed in Chicago.....and a 767 crashed in the Indian ocean.....and a 757 hit a mountain in Columbia....and........

Just making an observation.....

Let me put it as simply as I can. If I thought that an A330 (or 340) was in any way unsafe, I would be canceling ALL of my reservations on that aircraft. I haven't done so. If an individual wants to do that and avoid the aircraft, I can't stop them.

Let me just ask this one question to anyone thinking that: What kind of car do you drive? Has that model car ever been in an accident? Has anyone ever been killed in that car? Unless you are in a VERY specialized vehicle (with very limited production), I'd bet the answers would be yes. Yet you still get in your car and drive it every day.

You are just always on it. You are right. My "boo-hoo" was invalid as I just assumed all Delta flights were getting wi-fi. As far as entertainment, I may have wanted to go on line and see what your latest fly post was. :) Just to improve my knowledge!

Thanks, and I will keep my plugs. I believe after a little investigation I have to go get an adapter and will find out from the store on that one.

Archived