Old news, but keep an eye on your Delta flights

pcur

I know this has happened to others, because I read about it here.

I was checking my Delta flights for this September, LAX - HNL, and Delta had change us from a nonstop out of LAX - HNL to LAX-SLC-HNL. I was shocked to find us going EAST to Salt Lake City and then WEST to Honolulu.

What was even stranger to me is our original flight was still on their schedule!! They had just bumped us from a nonstop over to a 1-stop. So, I called them up and said I wanted back on the flight I had paid for, and I had a ship to catch, so arriving 3.5 hours later than planned wasn't good for us. She changed us back to the nonstop out of LAX, and I signed up for a one-time alert if there's anymore changes. I'll have to re-sign up each time there's a change, but at least I can keep on top of it.

My guess is they could sell my seat for a higher price on the nonstop. We got our fares for $335 pp roundtrip, and they are more expensive now.

Even with the alert, you may not be notified of a change. Keep checking your reservation................

Delta/NWA changed our itineraries yesterday so much so that the only things we recognized were the 'from' and 'to' parts of it. I could not believe what I was seeing!!! The connections would not work, no way-no how. We did not get a notification either. Had gotten them before for this trip. So, it is a good idea to check from time to time to see what they have done to you. Be careful changing tickets as they may try to charge extra fees for this 'service'. The agent I talked to had to make sure that 'her' agent waived the change fees that would have more than doubled our ticket price. I 'love' to spend my holidays keeping an eye on Delta....later....rog

I know this has happened to others, because I read about it here.

I was checking my Delta flights for this September, LAX - HNL, and Delta had change us from a nonstop out of LAX - HNL to LAX-SLC-HNL. I was shocked to find us going EAST to Salt Lake City and then WEST to Honolulu.

What was even stranger to me is our original flight was still on their schedule!! They had just bumped us from a nonstop over to a 1-stop. So, I called them up and said I wanted back on the flight I had paid for, and I had a ship to catch, so arriving 3.5 hours later than planned wasn't good for us. She changed us back to the nonstop out of LAX, and I signed up for a one-time alert if there's anymore changes. I'll have to re-sign up each time there's a change, but at least I can keep on top of it.

My guess is they could sell my seat for a higher price on the nonstop. We got our fares for $335 pp roundtrip, and they are more expensive now.

I suspect your guess is wrong, and that what has happened is an equipment change from a larger to a smaller aircraft. so they moved some people off to deal with that situation, and leave space on the original flight for high $ walkup traffic.

I suspect your guess is wrong, and that what has happened is an equipment change from a larger to a smaller aircraft. so they moved some people off to deal with that situation, and leave space on the original flight for high $ walkup traffic.

That's interesting. Well, I guess I was one of their "walk-ups", because when I called yesterday I told her (nicely) that I would please like to get back on the flight that I paid for to begin with!!!

Delta/NWA changed our itineraries yesterday so much so that the only things we recognized were the 'from' and 'to' parts of it. I could not believe what I was seeing!!! The connections would not work, no way-no how. We did not get a notification either. Had gotten them before for this trip. So, it is a good idea to check from time to time to see what they have done to you. Be careful changing tickets as they may try to charge extra fees for this 'service'. The agent I talked to had to make sure that 'her' agent waived the change fees that would have more than doubled our ticket price. I 'love' to spend my holidays keeping an eye on Delta....later....rog

I know, I sat here trying to figure out what they had done, and why. When I finally realized they were sending me EAST instead of WEST, I said, "Oh, H**L no, I'm not doing that!!", and called them. :D

I know, I sat here trying to figure out what they had done, and why. When I finally realized they were sending me EAST instead of WEST, I said, "Oh, H**L no, I'm not doing that!!", and called them. :D

Hi Peggy, I mentioned this situation on our cruise roll-call thread and it seems it was done to others as well. No notice of change to these people either! Very bad or unmakable connections, totally non-sensical! I don't know if our original JFK/EZE flights were really eliminated or Delta was trying to free up some space for much better paying walk-up sales. We didn't want to go through Atlanta, but Delta 'made it happen'!!You know, we 'are' cattle?.... We booked early and paid a little more than we wanted to, so as we could get the exact flights/sched. we wanted. Guess again, Rog, not if Delta has anything to say about it, sorry sucker!!!.....later....r

Hi Peggy, I mentioned this situation on our cruise roll-call thread and it seems it was done to others as well. No notice of change to these people either! Very bad or unmakable connections, totally non-sensical! I don't know if our original JFK/EZE flights were really eliminated or Delta was trying to free up some space for much better paying walk-up sales. We didn't want to go through Atlanta, but Delta 'made it happen'!!You know, we 'are' cattle?.... We booked early and paid a little more than we wanted to, so as we could get the exact flights/sched. we wanted. Guess again, Rog, not if Delta has anything to say about it, sorry sucker!!!.....later....r

But, what I also read, and what happened with us, is Delta will change you to a better itinerary if you tell them the connections are not going to work for you and your end travel plans. I told them I had a ship to catch, and they were cutting it too close to sailaway for my comfort. I think telling them their changes will make you miss your connections is the way to go, even if those "connections" are a land appointment or a figment of our imaginations!!!! :D:D

But, what I also read, and what happened with us, is Delta will change you to a better itinerary if you tell them the connections are not going to work for you and your end travel plans. I told them I had a ship to catch, and they were cutting it too close to sailaway for my comfort. I think telling them their changes will make you miss your connections is the way to go, even if those "connections" are a land appointment or a figment of our imaginations!!!! :D:D

Yeah Peggy I hear Ya! Hope there are no more 'surprises' coming from Delta. The guy running it now used to run Northwest, so what pray tell do you think will happen with them 'merged'? I think we will get to BA alright, it just might be on a Piper Cub!.....later....rog

Some information to eliminate speculation:

The JFK-EZE flight was seasonal last year, and was tentatively in the schedule for "winter". This has been canceled and all DL traffic to EZE will be via ATL.

It was never mentioned what DL flight was being discussed from LAX (details ALWAYS makes for accurate responses). Fact is, there have been equipment swaps LAX-HNL. Changes involve 757 for 767 and vice versa. Given that there are 30 some seats of difference, it is quite likely that's the reason for the change.

Finally, the East to go West isn't as crazy as you might think. Especially if your choice is a 757 from LAX or a 767 from SLC. Better experience on the latter, IMO.

Excellent advice to check your reservations frequently on DL website. When I last flew with them in early May, MHT-ATL-LAX, they changed flight numbers and schedules 4 times before I actually traveled. At one point they had me leaving ATL before I was scheduled to arrive there, not the first time DL has done this to me!

This has only happened on DL. My TA tells me that DL computers are not yet programed to look ahead at connecting flights when there is a schedule change on earlier flight.

In my case it wasn't critical as I was flying to LAX a day early, but I hate to think of the potential problems if I had been flying on embarkation day.

Bob

Excellent advice to check your reservations frequently on DL website. When I last flew with them in early May, MHT-ATL-LAX, they changed flight numbers and schedules 4 times before I actually traveled. At one point they had me leaving ATL before I was scheduled to arrive there, not the first time DL has done this to me!

This has only happened on DL. My TA tells me that DL computers are not yet programed to look ahead at connecting flights when there is a schedule change on earlier flight.

In my case it wasn't critical as I was flying to LAX a day early, but I hate to think of the potential problems if I had been flying on embarkation day.

Bob

Hi Bob, Yeah that's the same situation we had, 'leaving' JFK at 1:50 pm after 'getting' there at 6:24 pm. Delta agent couldn't say for sure 'who or what' was re-programming their flight schedules. I just said that it couldn't have been looked at by anyone with any knowledge of air connections. She also said to check your flights often during this merger. If you don't, you could be in for a nasty surprise as Delta/NWA are not always notifying passengers by electronic devices or any other means.... I sometimes get them, then others times do not......later.....

I just checked my Delta flight from SAN to CLT via ATL (the ship docks in Ensenada, Mexico). My original flight was at 1:10pm. Kind of difficult to dock at 8 am and make an earlier flight when the dock is 90 miles from the airport and you have to clear USA/Mexican border!

Anyway, Delta changed our flight to a 11:15 am because the original flight time changed to 1:20 departure. Does this make sense??? Anyway, I spent a hour on the phone with two different agents. I very calmly explained the problem and said we could fly after 2pm from LAX. The first agent offered a flight at 11:30 PM or they could refund my money. The agent was going to check with a supervisor and let me know. Fortunately (!) she disconnected me.

I checked Orbitz - our original flight was still available - departing 10 minutes later and the price doubled! (Could this be the reason for our change???). In an case, I called Delta back and once again explained the problem and insisted that they reconfirm my confirmed reservation on the original flight. Thankfully Delta did change us back to the original flights.

If PCUR hadn't make the suggestion, I wouldn't have checked until a week or two before we left. THANK YOU!!! I will be checking our flights weekly. Who knows, if we get changed again, I am going to ask about the US Air direct flight from SAN to CLT!

I just checked my Delta flight from SAN to CLT via ATL (the ship docks in Ensenada, Mexico). My original flight was at 1:10pm. Kind of difficult to dock at 8 am and make an earlier flight when the dock is 90 miles from the airport and you have to clear USA/Mexican border!

Anyway, Delta changed our flight to a 11:15 am because the original flight time changed to 1:20 departure. Does this make sense??? Anyway, I spent a hour on the phone with two different agents. I very calmly explained the problem and said we could fly after 2pm from LAX. The first agent offered a flight at 11:30 PM or they could refund my money. The agent was going to check with a supervisor and let me know. Fortunately (!) she disconnected me.

I checked Orbitz - our original flight was still available - departing 10 minutes later and the price doubled! (Could this be the reason for our change???). In an case, I called Delta back and once again explained the problem and insisted that they reconfirm my confirmed reservation on the original flight. Thankfully Delta did change us back to the original flights.

If PCUR hadn't make the suggestion, I wouldn't have checked until a week or two before we left. THANK YOU!!! I will be checking our flights weekly. Who knows, if we get changed again, I am going to ask about the US Air direct flight from SAN to CLT!

You are VERY welcome. I just cannot understand the whole hour on the phone thing. You must have reached a newbie on the first call. I'm just adding my Delta flight to my "check the price" routine I do daily for my cruises. I'll check my itinerary on Delta, too.

I'm sorry you had this sort of experience with Delta too. Being new to Cruise Critic, I'm not sure if you are familiar with the the acronym D (on't) E (ver) L (eave) T (he) A (irport). It seems to hold true every time I fly with them. Last time, I chose them to fly back to school to catch my Wake Forest Demon Deacs play (destroy) Duke, and they changed the entire itinerary five days beforehand.

I have noticed that they are particularly bad with this compared to everyone else. Though it is very strange that they "bumped" you after having booked the flight; you really have to be tough with their phone staff to get anywhere. Thorough checks (weekly, even bi-daily) of your schedule are always beneficial as well. What may have occurred was an equipment swap- I know DL used to send 767-400s to LAX, and that has been cut to 757's now, as LAX is reduced and the 767's are sent to Europe.

Just booked my flights to Orlando leaving in October about a month ago. Delta had already made 2 schedule changes and I had not checked my flights in over a week. After seeing this thread I decided to look at my itinerary. Delta has changed a 9pm arrival with 1 connection to a 12am arrival with 2 connections. I always do a precruise stay for airport delays but not for airline schedule changes. Since I am late getting off work I don't feel like dealing with their customer service agents right now. Thanks for the warning, although this probably won't be the last time they change my flights.

Northwest (the dominant carrier here in Minneapolis) would always send me an email saying my flight times have changed.

Delta has always been the worst when it comes to changing flight times. They do it often and almost never tell the customer. I never get an email or phone call even though I booked it on Delta's website and they have my contact info.

My Delta flight has been changed 6 times now and no one has notified me. It leaves 55 minutes earlier than originally scheduled so I would have easily missed it if I didn't keep checking.

I'm so glad Southwest has moved in here because they have never changed flight times or play games like other airlines.

We were scheduled to fly in November from Boston to SLC before flying from SLC to Honolulu but I checked yesterday and eventhough the first leg was unchanged, they know had us flying from SLC to LAX and than onto Honolulu....Doesn't seem like a big deal except the flight from SLC was scheduled to depart at 7AM and we wouldn't arrive in SLC until after 10:00!!!....Anyway, I had originally chosen that flight because it seemed like a pretty direct route and broke up the lengthy journey into 2 approx. equal flights....But after calling Delta we are now flying to Atlanta and than flying from ATL to Honolulu on a 747. The 9+ flight is gonna stink and I'm not too fond of flying on a 747 (never done it, but it seems like a lot of people and less space...?), but the one positive is we'll be getting into Honolulu 1/2 hour earlier than we were originaly scheduled to....

We were scheduled to fly in November from Boston to SLC before flying from SLC to Honolulu but I checked yesterday and eventhough the first leg was unchanged, they know had us flying from SLC to LAX and than onto Honolulu....Doesn't seem like a big deal except the flight from SLC was scheduled to depart at 7AM and we wouldn't arrive in SLC until after 10:00!!!....Anyway, I had originally chosen that flight because it seemed like a pretty direct route and broke up the lengthy journey into 2 approx. equal flights....But after calling Delta we are now flying to Atlanta and than flying from ATL to Honolulu on a 747. The 9+ flight is gonna stink and I'm not too fond of flying on a 747 (never done it, but it seems like a lot of people and less space...?), but the one positive is we'll be getting into Honolulu 1/2 hour earlier than we were originaly scheduled to....

Actually, it's been a good while since anybody has sent 747's into HNL. I rode on one DTW-AMS on my last trip. Delta actually does not technically "fly" 747's, they are operated by NWA, and still have the old NWA interiors. Coach seats are pretty beat up, and for some reason, the 747 (which flies primarily to Asia?) does not have PTV's. You'll have the big projection monitors in the center row, so make sure not to sit too far away. If you have WorldPerks or Sky Miles status, try to get seat 36K, or anything in row 35; they're exit rows.

However, the 747 is still the "Queen of the Skies" in my book, and you'll deifnitely feel like you're flying on a large aircraft (you will be!). On the numerous 747 flights I have flown, I have not once felt as a constituent of a sardine can, so I'm sure your flight will be fine.

I'm so glad Southwest has moved in here because they have never changed flight times or play games like other airlines.

Southwest doesn't change flight schedules for a simple reason....they only have a short schedule window open at any given time, not the rolling 330 (appx) day window of most airlines. So they set it for the relevant block of time and that's it. Other carriers are in a dynamic, rolling timeframe that keeps moving forward.

If I only had a schedule for a fixed 2-3 months forward, I wouldn't make changes either.

Apples and oranges.

Actually, it's been a good while since anybody has sent 747's into HNL. I rode on one DTW-AMS on my last trip. Delta actually does not technically "fly" 747's, they are operated by NWA, and still have the old NWA interiors. Coach seats are pretty beat up, and for some reason, the 747 (which flies primarily to Asia?) does not have PTV's. You'll have the big projection monitors in the center row, so make sure not to sit too far away. If you have WorldPerks or Sky Miles status, try to get seat 36K, or anything in row 35; they're exit rows.

However, the 747 is still the "Queen of the Skies" in my book, and you'll deifnitely feel like you're flying on a large aircraft (you will be!). On the numerous 747 flights I have flown, I have not once felt as a constituent of a sardine can, so I'm sure your flight will be fine.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately the row you recommended is already taken, so I opted for row 63 (the first row in the back that only has 2 seats on the sides) since it looked like that offered a little more room than the typical 3-seat window rows...

Also, we'd love to be able to upgrade to 1st class since this is our honeymoon (if the cost is reasonable), but we're not getting our hopes up. I am a skymiles member and will just ask if there are open 1st class seats available and if so, what the upgrade fee will be at the gate? (I've never even inquired about upgrading before, so I have no idea how that works, or the likelihood, but I guess it can't hurt to ask)...

Upgrades to HNL are difficult for even elite FF to obtain. I would seriously doubt that upgrades would be sold for cash at the gate. Mileage upgrades are capacity controlled and you would have to be on a high coach fare (likely Y, B, or M) to be eligible. Operational upgrades almost always go to elite FF first. And telling them it's your honeymoon won't work.

If you want to upgrade, my suggestion is to be on the phone and find out whether your fare basis can be upgraded with miles. If not, check both 1) what the cost would be to change to a fare that can be upgraded and 2) is there any upgrade availability. No sense paying the higher fare if there are no upgrade seats available.

As for, "it can't hurt to ask"....as long as you are prepared for a "no".

Upgrades to HNL are difficult for even elite FF to obtain. I would seriously doubt that upgrades would be sold for cash at the gate. Mileage upgrades are capacity controlled and you would have to be on a high coach fare (likely Y, B, or M) to be eligible. Operational upgrades almost always go to elite FF first. And telling them it's your honeymoon won't work.

If you want to upgrade, my suggestion is to be on the phone and find out whether your fare basis can be upgraded with miles. If not, check both 1) what the cost would be to change to a fare that can be upgraded and 2) is there any upgrade availability. No sense paying the higher fare if there are no upgrade seats available.

As for, "it can't hurt to ask"....as long as you are prepared for a "no".

Thanks for the advice. I've never flown to Hawaii before and wasn't aware of that. In past experience with Delta I've heard them announce at the gate that for "$XXX" you could upgrade to first class and wasn't sure if flights to Honolulu would work the same way...

I don't know what my fare category is, but considering what I paid I doubt it's one of the higher coach fares that would be eligible for an upgrade.

Oh well, I wasn't counting on an upgrade....

Archived