alaska/statendam,can dh wear longsleeved shirt /no jacket?

catergirl

wondering:confused: i've heard the alaska runs arent as ridgid. can dh get away with a longsleeved shirt and no jacket? we usually bring a suit but since we are doing the interior afterwards, thought maybe we could cut down on luggage. on the princess ships dh has been in a suit and shortsleeved shirt, but on the coral he was refused intto the diningroom on formal without a longsleeve so he went and put on longsleeved shirt. thanks for help:)

Following is HAL's suggested dress code:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

There have been reports of uneven enforcement ... on formal nights, men without jackets and ties sometimes turned away and sometimes permitted into the main diningroom.

For smart casual, long- or short-sleeved shirts are fine. No jacket and tie required.

The Lido and room service are other dinner alternatives on formal night for those not wishing to dress up.

I'd save the luggage space. If they won't let you in the dining room, eat in the Lido by a window (with your binoculars) so you don't miss any scenery!

Do you take binoculars into the dining room too? :rolleyes:

I am definitely bringing my dark suit on our upcoming Veendam cruise. Considering this is Alaska, and not the Caribbean, i was going to pack more long sleeved shirts to wear on non-formal nights. (Like many first time Alaska cruisers, I have been diligently reading anything dealing with what to pack. Passed the information to DW, but she is concerned that she will run out luggage space. Me being typical male, shesh, whatever I can fit in the luggage will do. ;-) )

wondering:confused: i've heard the alaska runs arent as ridgid. can dh get away with a longsleeved shirt and no jacket? we usually bring a suit but since we are doing the interior afterwards, thought maybe we could cut down on luggage. on the princess ships dh has been in a suit and shortsleeved shirt, but on the coral he was refused intto the diningroom on formal without a longsleeve so he went and put on longsleeved shirt. thanks for help:)

How did the HW know it was a short sleeved shirt?

Maybe a short sleeved jacket, too? :p

9 of us were on a 12 day Rotterdam cruise to the Baltic last year. We extended our vacation in Europe for another 10 days where we were traveling city to city. There were 4 men and none of them brought jackets for formal nights, they all wore shirts and ties and nothing was said. When you are traveling a long time and going a long way luggage weight is important.

HAL is not consistent about enforcing dress code. You take the chance DH could be refused into the dining room on formal nights if he does not have jacket and tie. He may be permitted in but he also might not be.

All of us would like to limit luggage but most (vast majority) bring the clothing required to meet HAL's dress code. Everyone has the same luggage issues.

Was he wearing a short sleeve business shirt with a tie? I can't imagine a man in a shirt, jacket and tie being turned away.

Archived