Which is better for Mexican Riviera?

Planning to go on a cruise this upcoming October from Los Angeles/Long Beach to the Mexican Riviera.

I'll (31) be with my husband (34), son (2) and parents (76, 74). We've all sailed Princess before and my dad loves the quality of Princess (food, ship, etc).

We are looking to have a hopefully relatively inexpensive relaxing vacation, a ship with fun activities for my son (who will then be 3) and good food of course :) Not interested in a packed ship with little room to maneuver!

Which would be the better pick for us?

- Sapphire Princess

- Norwegian Star

- Royal Caribbean Mariner

Thanks!

We did this cruise on the Norwegian Star several years ago and preferred our Princess cruises much more (food, service, everything.) Can't speak for RC, but Princess would be my choice over Norwegian.

I would pick the Princess cruise. I have sailed RC, HAL and Princess and will be sailing RC's Mariner in Sept to MR. Love Princess and HAL but I had some unused on board credit towards a RC trip so picked that.

Princess allows you to carry on two bottles of wine and RC does not. Princess' Caribe deck balconies are very big and half covered which I also love. I also think that I got better deals in the past from Princess as RC does not discount cruises for travel agents. That being said though-I got a terrific deal on my Royal cruise.

Good luck picking!:)

Planning to go on a cruise this upcoming October from Los Angeles/Long Beach to the Mexican Riviera.

I'll (31) be with my husband (34), son (2) and parents (76, 74). We've all sailed Princess before and my dad loves the quality of Princess (food, ship, etc).

We are looking to have a hopefully relatively inexpensive relaxing vacation, a ship with fun activities for my son (who will then be 3) and good food of course :) Not interested in a packed ship with little room to maneuver!

- Sapphire Princess

- Norwegian Star

Thanks!

We did this cruise on the RC Vision and it was great. Is the Mariner the same as the Voyageur? I loved that ship, too.

Viv

We love the Mariner (a Voyager class ship). Ice skating, rock wall climbing and good childrens programs. Check out pictures and reviews of the ships you are looking at. We have been to the MR many times. The Mariner seems to give us more to do its a destination by itself.

As far as I know, they all do the same itinerary (as does the Carnival Splendor, which leaves from Long Beach).

I haven't been on RC or NCL, but from what I've heard about NCL from friends, I would just assume to skip that line. RC would be good for those interested in rock walls, ice skating, etc., but your child probably is too young.

Princess does have a great kids' program, but your child will have to be at least 3 years of age at the time of the cruise (they do check b.c.'s) to participate. My child went on her Princess cruises at age 5, 7, and 8, and enjoyed the activities (she also went on Carnival at 23 months, 3, and 4...and found it fun too). I know that on her first Princess cruise, she was in pull-ups, which was okay then, but you might want to double check on what the rule on potty training is currently as some kids aren't completely trained by 3.

What was nice about Princess is that adults can find plenty to do, too. A wide variety of activities from trivia to classes. If you want to go off the ship for a couple of hours, just the two of you, Princess has in-port kidsitting for free (just be sure to doublecheck any hours they close for meals), and post 10-pm kidsitting is pretty reasonable ($5 or $6 per hour, prorated by the 1/4 hour).

We were on the Sapphire Princess for our Alaskan cruise in 2004 and it is a beautiful ship. I know I'm not the only one who felt it doesn't feel crowded even when every cabin is booked.

We just got off Sapphire from Alaska with our 2 year old and are taking it again to Mexico at the end of Sept. She had a blast - you can accompany the child to all of the kid's activities and the children's room and staff were fantastic! We did RCI Serenade last year and, although we enjoyed it, would not choose them over Princess - the food, staff, and entertainment on Princess was far better!

- Sapphire Princess

- Norwegian Star

Thanks!

MOS was a great ship and we never felt crowded on board. The food is just OK in the main dining room but both Chops and Portofino's are quite good for an extra fee.

though i prefer CCL..on the Mex. Riv. we prefer d the Star..

it started out as a experiment in their Freestyle dining..with so many

activities we just wanted to be able to plan our meal s around our

activities rather than visa versa..

we are seniors..and we liked coming back from a long excursion..*its going to be hot*..then getting bite at the Blue Lagoon..then taking a power nap befor going to late seating..actually you can seat anytime..

as we studied the dining options..it became apparent that we were going to be spending alot of time in their specialty restraunts..

we ve seen all the show s..but, for the first timer on the Star it ll be a

nice change and experience..

too bad they no longer sail to Acapolco..

Archived