britannia dining - upper vs. lower

rednblackstar

i see one can request upper level dining in britannia restuarant.

any veterans have opinions on preference?

QM2?

As I normally eat breakfast and lunch on the lower level I like to eat dinner on the upper level.

This adds to the variety (you get different tables for the earlier meals each day) rather than always being downstairs for every meal.

That way I get the the best of both worlds, upstairs and down!

The three tiers on deck 3 also give a more intimate atmosphere (rather than the flat 135ft wide lower level) and many tables have either great sea views or enable you to look down into the well and those dining below you.

However I was once placed on the lower level for a cruise and discovered I had been assigned a table hosted by several of the ship's officers on every formal night. I wouldn't have missed that! Wonderful.

Edited by pepperrn

On QM2 I prefer the lower restaurant as the upper level has raised floor levels/platforms which seem to almost put you at ceiling height. The lower level is very spacious and airy.

Edited by capnpugwash

On our last QM2 voyage we were seated upstairs by a window and actually enjoyed it very much. We have great tables throughout the downstairs area of Britannia, but, we found the upper level to be a bit more intimate and quiet.

If you are seated on the upper level you will still be able to experience the grandeur of sitting downstairs during breakfast and lunch.

Have a good cruise.

Jonathan

• 5 years later...

I see that you are booked on the Britannia which is a P&O ship. You are now on the Cunard Line forum and on all the Cunard ships there is a restaurant called "Britannia." Confusing, I'm sure. There is no "freedom dining" on Cunard ships. You should go over to the P&O forum and ask your question there.

However I was once placed on the lower level for a cruise and discovered I had been assigned a table hosted by several of the ship's officers on every formal night. I wouldn't have missed that! Wonderful.

Can you please elaborate on this?

Twice on formal nights we were invited to eat at an officer's table on the lower floor--that big table right behind the concierge desk. Both times everyone at the table was a special invitee, not someone normally assigned to the table. In retrospect I did wonder later what they did with the people who were normally assigned to that table.

Can you shed any light on this?

Edited by PunkiC

The attached pictures (QV QM2 and QE) are of the location of the Captains Table on each of the 3 Queens.

These tables are only used during Late Dinner when the Captain or Deputy Host Formal Nights, On these occasions you receive an invite delivered to your stateroom on the Morning of the Dinner. You reply to the Captains secretary should you accept or decline.

The Captains Table may be used by anyone during Breakfast or Lunch .

Scattered around are several other large round tables which have been allocated to passengers for use throughout their voyage, these are' hosted tables' were the Chief Engineer or other Officers Host these on formal Nights. You can ask for consideration be given, to booking a hosted table (But not Captains) on your booking.

It is a nice surprise to receive ' that ' invitation in your stateroom.

IMG_1676.jpg.ec24b89d4fd0a8db3bfec7b7a7afb3a3.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg.9273488871ae018da78ca0e9f24843f6.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg.b55481a3a617a6fd1649198846c5aa75.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

Can you please elaborate on this? Twice on formal nights we were invited to eat at an officer's table on the lower floor--that big table right behind the concierge desk. Both times everyone at the table was a special invitee, not someone normally assigned to the table. In retrospect I did wonder later what they did with the people who were normally assigned to that table. Can you shed any light on this?
Hi PunkiC,

Thanks for your post, gosh this is an old thread!

(Re-reading my clumsily written post... :o dreadful...)

Anyway... Simple answer.

You were invited, along with others, on a specific evening, to dine at a table "hosted" by an officer.

(So obviously there would have been an empty seat(s) at your usual table that night)

This is the usual procedure when dining at the captain's table for example.

However, on a QM2 Caribbean cruise I was allocated* a seat at a table for eight. There were six of us dining there on non-formal nights (obviously plus two empty chairs).

(I was travelling as a single passenger, my fellow diners were a young couple on honeymoon, a retired gent travelling alone, and two young ladies sharing a cabin)

On formal nights however, we six were joined by a senior officer (different officer each time) and on one occasion, a junior officer as well (their seats being marked with a place card marked "Host"). If I remember correctly there were four such formal "hosted" evenings.

The officers answered our questions, and regaled us with entertaining tales of life on board QM2 (and other ships). They bought the wine, and complimentary group photograph of the evening was delivered to our cabins the next day.

We were also invited to attend a cocktail party, hosted by Commodore Bernard Warner and his officers in G32, despite five of us being on our first Cunard trip (and me on only my third at that time).

On one of these evenings the Staff Captain (with a junior officer alongside) hosted. He invited us to tour the Bridge a couple of days later (this was long before the days of the "Behind the Scenes Tour", which I've since paid to go on, and enjoyed). In those days they didn't mind passengers taking photographs on the Bridge (so I did ;) ). The navigation and safety systems were explained in great detail during a long visit (more information than is given on the current tours).

I hope this answers your question, it is totally my fault if it doesn't, so please ask for more detail. Only too happy to help further :) .

All best wishes and many happy sailings for the future.

(* I had requested late seating on my booking. When I embarked in New York for the cruise, in my cabin, on the usual card, was my restaurant table number. However the card indicated "early dining". I went to see the maitre 'd (Jamie Firth) and politely explained the issue. He apologised and told me he had now allocated me a place on late seating at a different table (67), furthermore he said "I think you'll like this table". I checked it, but could see nothing special about it. Until the first formal night came when I noted the place card "Hosted" :) :) )

Edited by pepperrn

Whats the difference and how do i know what i got. I am booked as freedom dining so what do I get with this. Can I sit upstairs and downstairs

The P&O board is here, hopefully they can help you. Have a good cruise.

I see that you are booked on the Britannia which is a P&O ship. You are now on the Cunard Line forum and on all the Cunard ships there is a restaurant called "Britannia." Confusing, I'm sure. There is no "freedom dining" on Cunard ships. You should go over to the P&O forum and ask your question there.

Good spot, I wonder how much that is going to happen ?

Wow, it is old. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. :)

Your dining experience sounds really interesting. You must have felt quite fortunate as we always do when we are invited to dine with officers and, of course, we always enjoy the free flowing wine.

On our last cruise our special dinner lasted until.about 11:00 when the waiters started flashing the lights off and on as a gentle reminder. That it was time to go.

What I had been wondering was what happened to the people who normally sat at the table we used when we ate with the officers at that big table right in front of the dining room. Next time, if we are lucky enough to get invited again, I will ask.

Oh dear ! this has just made me chuckle :D Earlier today I did the exact same thing, but on the P&O board.

Forgot I was surfing the P&O site and noticed a post relating to Britannia ....(Which incidentally I couldn't make head nor tale of the question) but never the less I started to give a reply to the posters question , until I had to delete it ......Yes ,ok you've guessed it :o

Well the only Britannia I know is on Cunard :confused:

Wow, it is old. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. :)

Your dining experience sounds really interesting. You must have felt quite fortunate as we always do when we are invited to dine with officers and, of course, we always enjoy the free flowing wine.

On our last cruise our special dinner lasted until.about 11:00 when the waiters started flashing the lights off and on as a gentle reminder. That it was time to go.

What I had been wondering was what happened to the people who normally sat at the table we used when we ate with the officers at that big table right in front of the dining room. Next time, if we are lucky enough to get invited again, I will ask.

Well Nothing, There not there !

The Captains Table is left empty during Dinner, unless he hosts the table and you have acknowledged the invite!:confused:

Edited by Pennbank

i see one can request upper level dining in britannia restuarant.

any veterans have opinions on preference?

On the QM2 I prefer the upper level & here's why. If you're seated on the lower level nearer the center, that's fine. If,however you're seated in the corners(especially by the stairs)it feels like a confined area. As Douglas Ward of Berlitz Guide to cruise ships calls it..an "inferior space". Having lunch & breakfast there a few times I totally agree with his feeling.

We have been seated in both locations and have no complaints about either.

Nothing better than pleasant mealtimes with pleasant tablemates in a relaxed atmosphere--either on a crossing or longer voyage.

Upper or lower? Really makes little difference to me.

Congenial company is what I remember from all our Cunard travel and that isn't more likely to occur on one level more than the other.

Happy Sailing everyone!

Well Nothing, There not there !

The Captains Table is left empty during Dinner, unless he hosts the table and you have acknowledged the invite!:confused:

On our last cruise on QV there was definitely an assigned group that usually filled the table in question on smart casual nights with no officers or other staff present. I can remember walking by the table and wondering where this group sat when officers hosted special formal night dinners and used that table.

I wish I would have inquired. Oh well, I will pay more attention and ask about on our next cruise.

OBTW, I thought I had posted this earlier but couldn't find the post. Are we notified if a post is ever removed or does it just disappear?

On the upper level (Deck 3) I overheard someone, who was gazing across the full width of the ship, and who was amazed at the size of QM2's Britannia Restaurant, say innocently...

"And the people having dinner way over there, near those windows, are they on the same ship as us?" ;)

Never forgotten that comment :)

Edited by pepperrn

I have dined on the various levels and do have several tables I prefer but I have a favourite waiter and generally sit at one of his tables so for me it is wherever my guy is working.

The attached pictures (QV QM2 and QE) are of the location of the Captains Table on each of the 3 Queens.

These tables are only used during Late Dinner when the Captain or Deputy Host Formal Nights, On these occasions you receive an invite delivered to your stateroom on the Morning of the Dinner. You reply to the Captains secretary should you accept or decline.

The Captains Table may be used by anyone during Breakfast or Lunch .

Scattered around are several other large round tables which have been allocated to passengers for use throughout their voyage, these are' hosted tables' were the Chief Engineer or other Officers Host these on formal Nights. You can ask for consideration be given, to booking a hosted table (But not Captains) on your booking.

It is a nice surprise to receive ' that ' invitation in your stateroom.

I guess I must have missed this post and the pictures and, yes, those are the tables where we sat with the officers. I am certain that there was a group assigned to those tables on ordinary nights, although it may have been for early dining. On our last cruise, the demand for early dining was overwhelming with long lines of people waiting to talk to the concierge to get switched from late, to early dining. Perhaps they finally decided to seat people at that table in desperation as there were so many angry passengers trying to get early dining.