How much is a taxi to Rum Point

serene56

I hae been to Cayman Islands soo many times that I ran out of stuff to do.

Did stingrays 3 times- did island tours,,even st pedro James Place,

Looking for JUST the beach but many tours take you elsewhere first-- meaning I arrive at the beach when it is very crowded.

How much to take a taxi to just the beach

yikes. they drive on the wrong side of the road:rolleyes:

and traffic on he main road that leads to the cruise ship--is too much for me.

Actually, it's really easy driving on the left...you get used to it very quickly.

And, the majority of the drive out to Rum Point has very little traffic. If you pick up the rental at the airport, taking the shuttle to/from the rental agency, you actually avoid the whole section of town where the cruise ships are.

However, if you don't want to drive, you'll definitely have to book ahead since only a couple of the tours have stops at Rum Point. Or, just take a taxi to Seven Mile Beach without bothering with an excursion, and you'll be at the beach well ahead of the crowds...

yikes. they drive on the wrong side of the road:rolleyes:

and traffic on he main road that leads to the cruise ship--is too much for me.

Actually, we drive on the left. If you are planning on driving on the wrong side of the road here, please give me adequate warning so I can get off the road. :p

To answer the original question, a one way taxi fare to Rum Point would be about US$70. You would need to arrange your return trip since there will be no taxis waiting for the trip back to the port.

The public bus only goes to Hutland - about 4 miles short of Rum Point.

I hae been to Cayman Islands soo many times that I ran out of stuff to do.

Did stingrays 3 times- did island tours,,even st pedro James Place,

Looking for JUST the beach but many tours take you elsewhere first-- meaning I arrive at the beach when it is very crowded.

How much to take a taxi to just the beach

I was on GC for awhile and it's small enough it can be a bit of a challenge to see something different. I took the bus a lot of places, but as mentioned, it doesn't go to Rum Point. It also doesn't run as frequently towards the East End, so taking it that direction from a cruise ship could be a bit risky. I sometimes went to the beach in Bodden town, but it was still littered with hurricane debris, and the water is full of sea grass. 7 mile beach is still the best beach, and if you go further out, towards West Bay there's another public beach area off the main road, accessible by bus. Not sure the taxi cost to there, but it's a lot closer than Rum Point. There are washrooms there, but nothing else really (no chair rentals or bars etc) so it was a pretty quiet area (not remote though... just not so touristy) But you have to be ok sacrificing chairs and umbrellas. I'd sit there for a bit then walk from there all the way to Sea Grape (which is about half way... and be ready for a beer!), or from Sea Grape to town other days. So I've seen the whole stretch. DH worked and I went sight-seeing. The beach down at the far end is just as nice, or better IMO, and not nearly as busy. Very close to town is awful I think, as it gets really rocky.

Archived