I hope this is an error on HAL's part

cdkempton

I was viewing the "what to pack" for Alaska on the HAL web site and came upon this: "Laundry Service

Holland America Line has laundry service, dry cleaning and pressing service on all ships.

There are self-serve laundry rooms complete with ironing boards and irons (laundry soap is available for purchase) on all ships but the Vista Class Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam and Zuiderdam

Self-service laundry facilities also are available at many of the hotels at which cruisetour passengers stay."

I have never had to purchase laundry soap on an R or S class ship. Please tell me that the web typist made a mistake. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Nowadays - nearly everything HAL does is an error...

...however, this time they're right - the Vistas don't have laundry rooms, and it wouldn't surprise me if HAL has started charging for soap, etc. aboard the S and R Class.

All I can assume is that as HAL has to pay for the laundry soap, the time has come to pass that cost along to the consumer.

We had to pay for laundry soap on Princess, for what it's worth. Not a lot of $$$.

I believe the reason it's been complimentary was to maintain the quantity used and the type (environmentally safe?) to, hopefully, keep the machines running better, longer. I certainly wouldn't mind paying for it or bringing my own for that matter but I have a feeling you would not be allowed to use your own for reasons previously stated. We'll see. I plan on using the ship's laundry as usual, but have always done at least 1 or 2 loads on my own along the way.

I'm sure you are probably right about them wanting to be sure which detergent is used in the machines..... as well as the amount.

I've used the ironing boards in the laundry rooms from time to time and a dryer once (after hand washing articles I didn't want to send out) but I have never used the washers.

I'm shocked they haven't charged for laundry detergent all along. They really should IMO I would never have expected it would be complimentary.

JMHO......

Well of course they haven't charged for laundry detergent since they have determined which detergent must be used, despite a passenger's personal preference. I'm sure that this is an environmental decision and I have no problem with that, but if you want me to pay for laundry detergent then I think I have the right to choose which detergent I want to use (could be an allergy problem, for example).

Personally, I just send my stuff to the ship's laundry and have no idea of what kind of detergent they use, but then again I have no allergies other than to pollen and green peppers, neither of which would be affected by any laundry detergent.

Valerie

Are we sure they are currently charging? Has anyone here actually reported they paid?

:) I agree, Amy. I use a dab of shampoo to hand wash my 'dainties'. I send DH's things out but I don't send many of my things. Maybe a jersey or such but very few things.

:confused: Whenever we've used the machines the detergent was dispensed by pushing a button on the machine, so it was included in the price of the wash. Maybe they mean if you don't want to use the dispensed type you can use something else that is for sale? :confused::confused:

BTW that list of ships that don't have machines should now include the Eurodam.

I suspect that's old copy that hasn't been changed to delete the reference to purchasing detergent. There was a time there was a choice of using HAL's provided liquid detergent without charge, or purchasing Tide in the shop. The opportunity to purchase Tide, or any other detergent, was discontinued a long time ago.

It wouldn't be the first time that printed copy (which is what we had in those days) was copied verbatim to a website without anyone reading it to see if it was still correct.

I use HAL self-service laundries, have for many, many years, and have never paid for the detergent.

A week ago on the Amsterdam the detergent was also dispensed by pressing the button and at no extra charge. (Of course I also sent out the bag for them to do some laundry for me because I love how it comes back all wrapped in tissue and pressed:))

:confused: Whenever we've used the machines the detergent was dispensed by pushing a button on the machine, so it was included in the price of the wash. Maybe they mean if you don't want to use the dispensed type you can use something else that is for sale? :confused::confused:

BTW that list of ships that don't have machines should now include the Eurodam.

Yep; that's how I remember it when the child bride shoved the laundry in my arms and send me on a mission to "go get it done" Push your quarters in the slots, rack 'em, then push the button for the detergent - one stop shopping! It's included in the price of admission. Not too many guys in there:eek:; you learn a lot about different 'stuff' while waiting for the rinse cycle:cool:

If you really want to learn about "different stuff," the ladies room in a club (read, bar) can be very informative. ;)

Diane

If that's the same as your run of the mill ladies restroom, I'll take a rain check. I just know you guys got wine tasting going on in the ladies' heads.:eek: Only explanation I can come up with for us guys passing "considerable" time outside until our significant others make a grand reappearance

If that's the same as your run of the mill ladies restroom, I'll take a rain check. I just know you guys got wine tasting going on in the ladies' heads.:eek: Only explanation I can come up with for us guys passing "considerable" time outside until our significant others make a grand reappearance

Hahahaha...yeh, that's what's going on, a wine tasting. Another little known fact is that the butlers in there are very strict about us reappearing with hair and makeup intact. No one is allowed out until they have properly primped.

Diane

Hahahaha...yeh, that's what's going on, a wine tasting. Another little known fact is that the butlers in there are very strict about us reappearing with hair and makeup intact. No one is allowed out until they have properly primped.

Diane

Unbelievable............but not surprising!:cool:

I recently sailed the Rotterdam for 24 days. Laundry soap was dispensed thru the washer by pushing the button, but I always pack my own (hubby gets hives from some soaps, so we don't risk it). If you're concerned just put a cup of your own in a ziploc bag and drop it in your luggage. Those washers are so small, it doesn't take much soap. I always take bounce sheets in a ziploc too. Don't be surprised by the lack of running washers though. Of the 3 laundry rooms on the nearest decks, by the middle of the cruise only 1 washer in each room was working. Be prepared to take a book and wait in line cause people get really ugly if you try to cut line or are late to claim your laundry. I even saw a lady pull someone elses laundry out of a dryer when all 4 of those were in service because that one gave the best time for the $1 and so she wanted to use only it.

All I can assume is that as HAL has to pay for the laundry soap, the time has come to pass that cost along to the consumer.

We had to pay for laundry soap on Princess, for what it's worth. Not a lot of $$$.

We just cruised on the Pacific Princess. We paid $1.00 per load for the washer and $1.00 per load for the drier which I felt was very reasonable. We did not have to pay for soap.

DON

and it wouldn't surprise me if HAL has started charging for soap, etc.
I don't know, but to me this sounds mighty petty. Shouldn't the cost of the soap be factored into the cost of using the machine? I think that would be a far better way to do it. So, okay ... if it now costs a dollar to wash a load, charge $1.25 or $1.50 to compensate for the cost of the soap.

It just seems that all the cruise lines are really getting into the nickle and diming thing way too much lately.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived