S7S et al, suite location on Maasdam?

LVSue

We are planning on booking the Canada/NE repo trip from Montreal to FL. We have never been on the Maasdam and wondered if you all had any advice on cabin location for us.

I was thinking that maybe starboard would be better since the US coast would be on that side. Another consideration—we really like to be close to the Lido for popping up for things. (I know—there's always the Neptune)

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of no elevators in the middle!

Help!

Actually -- you won't see the coast line.

We did the Ft lauderdale to Montreal a few years ago and saw only the coast as we were pulling into the ports.

On the R and S class ships we prefer to select an SA close to the bow -- that way we aren't under the pool area and not bothered by the movement of chairs above.

On all ships, we prefer mid-ship "S" / "SA" cabins near the Neptune Lounge.

On the "S" class ships, if you are mid-ship, you are halfway to stairs and elevators in either direction. The "S" ships are such a great size that nothing is very far away. :) We never miss the center staircase when on 'our' Maasdam. :)

Whether to have port or starboard cabin is a toss up. IMO

You can't be sure which side the ship will dock as we have been to the same ports a number of times and the ship can dock either side. On our recent b-to-b's, Maasdam docked most of the time starboard to the dock but in Halifax on the Montreal to Boston cruise, we were port to the dock.

Hope you have a great cruise and love Maasdam as much as we do.

Not having elevators in midship is something you adjust to very quickly. Just about any of the suites are very convenient .. the real issue is how often you would visit Neptune Lounge .. for coffee, snacks, canapes, etc ... if you do not anticipate, then closer to elevator is better; otherwise, fight S7S for the ones around Neptune as we do .. lol! Regarding side of ship, I agree with S7S as it is a crap shoot .. depends on how many ships in port, which port, for side docking next to noisy port. Offshore, you are generally too far from land to see much. When there is something really great such as the Stromboli volcano near Italy or a large iceberg calfing near Greenland, the HAL captain is courteous enough to sail around it on both sides so everyone gets a good view.

harry

<snip>... if you do not anticipate, then closer to elevator is better; otherwise, fight S7S for the ones around Neptune as we do .. lol! Regarding side of ship, I agree with S7S as it is a crap shoot .. depends on how many ships in port, which port, for side docking next to noisy port. harry

Uh oh! I do like being close to the NL, so looks like there might be a battle for cabins! Thanks, all, for the input!

Harry and I seem to be enjoy the same cabin - the number of which I shall not post. :D

Happy to have you join in the race to secure 'our' cabin, Sue. :)

Harry and I seem to be enjoy the same cabin - the number of which I shall not post. :D

Happy to have you join in the race to secure 'our' cabin, Sue. :)

Me too! Me too! I know that special cabin, and it's fabulous! :) :)

aliaschief, I hope you are talking about the 2009 cruise! We are thinking of the 2010 one.

Another question: is there a special venue for breakfast? We really enjoyed breakfast in the Pinnacle on the Oosterdam, but never tried it on the Amsterdam or Volendam.

aliaschief, I hope you are talking about the 2009 cruise! We are thinking of the 2010 one.

Another question: is there a special venue for breakfast? We really enjoyed breakfast in the Pinnacle on the Oosterdam, but never tried it on the Amsterdam or Volendam.

Yes I was talking about the 2009 cruise. I will add that our repositioning cruise from FL to Montreal was fantastic and we are so looking forward to cruising in October from Montreal back to Florida.

On the Amsterdam and Volendam all Delux Suite guests can have breakfast in the King's Room -- not the Pinnacle.

On the Amsterdam and Volendam all Delux Suite guests can have breakfast in the King's Room -- not the Pinnacle.

I believe the Zaandam is the same way, or at least it was when we last sailed it in 2006.

harry

Actually, that's why we never did the SA breakfast on the Amsterdam/Volendam--the King's room never looked that appealing.

I know I am quite overthinking this, but I'm beginning to think port might be better because of the inside cabins opening onto the starboard side. I know some folks book balcony suites for themselves and put their kids across the hall. Only once have we had "kid" problems (running up and down the halls, etc.), but that has made me wary.

Archived