Advice needed for post cruise hotel in Athens

cotto22

Hi everyone. We are booked on the October 1 cruise from Nice to Athens which includes free promo air. I have just seen our flight arrangements, and our flight leaves Athens too early for us to do even a short tour. I am very disappointed, so have put a call into our TA to see what can be done. SS put us on Delta, and a quick look at their website looks as if they are no later flights.

So, I guess we could stay a night in Athens. Has anyone done a SS postcruise hotel stay there? Or if not, any hotel recommendations? I will certainly discuss this with our TA, but was hopeful that some of you very experienced travelers could give us some advice and directions also. TIA.

Cathy

We just joined the Whisper at Athens, (Piraeus).

Before joining the ship we stayed at the Hilton which was VERY convenient. It's on a Metro line, it's walking distance to many sights and the rooms and service were very good.

I highly recommend the Grande Bretagne. Great rooms and an excellent location right on Constitution Square. If you book be sure and get breakfast included as it is served on the roof terrace with a spectacular view of the Acropolis.

The Grande Bretagne appears to be a great hotel right at the centre of the fashionable district of Athens, with everything close by. The King George also appear very good. For us cats with limited means, we stayed at the Electra on Emou Street last October, a local four star that was good enough in a superb location, right in the middle of the walking-shopping street, where the sight seeing trolly started and ended. And it was economical, at only 160 euros per night including breakfast, about half the rate of the Grande Bretagne.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. I will check out your suggestions along with that of our TA. We are still awaiting SS's reply to our question on the air arrangements. Guess they are super busy with their new promotions for 2010.

The Elecktra Palace (different from the Elecktra), it's on a relatively quiet street, some rooms have a peek a boo view of the Acropolis & the roof top pool & deck have a spectacular view. Once again, a Virtuoso agent can probably get you a deal. We loved it!

And it was economical, at only 160 euros per night including breakfast, about half the rate of the Grande Bretagne.

If looking for a high-quality economical solution, look into Priceline for a 4 or 5 star bid. You almost always get the Hilton, Intercontinental or Marriott for under $100 per night. All top notch - the Marriott has a rooftop bar with a nice nightime view of the Parthenon.

Archived