Scopamine patch questions

Got patches in hand - just wondering:

1. Whether anyone has ever had a bad experience with it?

2. Drinking alcohol while wearing it OK? (in your experience)

3. Did it fail to work for anyone?

4. Anyone take Bonine as a backup?

T minus 3 counting!!!!

My friend did a no-no and drank alcohol while wearing the patch (at least I think that's a no-no, I don't need the patch) and she noticed a much higher level of intensity of the alcohol she drank. She pulled off her patch about mid cruise and did fine without it.

Bonine makes me sleepy but I know these things affect everyone differently.

I took along a bottle of ginger pills from the health food store and only once did I find the need for them and they worked great.

Not sure which ship you are taking but I can attest for the great stabilizers on the Mariner. If things get a little choppy, I'd stear clear of the rear of the ship and the higher level floors during that time.

I have used them twice. The first thing I noticed is that your eye on the side you are wearing the patch dialates (making you look rather weird). I did not like the feeling I had wearing it.

As mentioned above, Bonine makes me a bit sleepy. What works for us is the electronic Relief Band since it has no side effects. It is quite pricey -- here is a link to one place that sells it http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ABMJLW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Although it works 100% for us, there is the tiny worry that someday it won't. . . . so, we take 1/4 of a Bonine and are 100% confident that we will not get seasick.

I always use the scopolomine patch and have had good results over nine cruises. One of those cruises was a TransAtlantic where we had very rough seas for three days.

My eyes will slighly dilate and I have just a touch of dry mouth, but otherwise I have no side effects. I can drink cocktails and wine without any "enhanced" effects. Compare that to meclizine (the active ingredient in Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine) which just puts me to sleep. Some people seem to be able to stay awake if they take the mecllzine (or 1/2 tablet) before bed, but for me it's still too much of a sleep inducer.

My niece had difficulties with scopolomine, but I suspect that was because she is quite small (maybe 120 lbs) and the patch had too much medication for her small body. If you and your doctor decide that the patch is right for you and you are not of "average" weight then you may ask about getting scopolomine in pill form.

P.S. If you are in the U.S. you will need a prescription for scopolomine. The patch is available OTC in Canada.

I always use the scopolomine patch and have had good results over nine cruises. One of those cruises was a TransAtlantic where we had very rough seas for three days.

My eyes will slighly dilate and I have just a touch of dry mouth, but otherwise I have no side effects. I can drink cocktails and wine without any "enhanced" effects. Compare that to meclizine (the active ingredient in Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine) which just puts me to sleep. Some people seem to be able to stay awake if they take the mecllzine (or 1/2 tablet) before bed, but for me it's still too much of a sleep inducer.

My niece had difficulties with scopolomine, but I suspect that was because she is quite small (maybe 120 lbs) and the patch had too much medication for her small body. If you and your doctor decide that the patch is right for you and you are not of "average" weight then you may ask about getting scopolomine in pill form.

P.S. If you are in the U.S. you will need a prescription for scopolomine. The patch is available OTC in Canada.

Can you use the patch while taking Bonine? Thought I don't know why I would, unless I put on the patch, remove it & take the Bonine.

If only I were 120 lbs. . . .;)

I have used them twice. The first thing I noticed is that your eye on the side you are wearing the patch dialates (making you look rather weird). I did not like the feeling I had wearing it.

As mentioned above, Bonine makes me a bit sleepy. What works for us is the electronic Relief Band since it has no side effects. It is quite pricey -- here is a link to one place that sells it http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ABMJLW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Although it works 100% for us, there is the tiny worry that someday it won't. . . . so, we take 1/4 of a Bonine and are 100% confident that we will not get seasick.

Good info to know. I do have the accupressure bands, though haven't tested them. And I didn't think to split the Bonine - great idea, thanks!!

My friend did a no-no and drank alcohol while wearing the patch (at least I think that's a no-no, I don't need the patch) and she noticed a much higher level of intensity of the alcohol she drank. She pulled off her patch about mid cruise and did fine without it.

Bonine makes me sleepy but I know these things affect everyone differently.

I took along a bottle of ginger pills from the health food store and only once did I find the need for them and they worked great.

Not sure which ship you are taking but I can attest for the great stabilizers on the Mariner. If things get a little choppy, I'd stear clear of the rear of the ship and the higher level floors during that time.

Well, yes, instructions say that alcohol effects are enhanced; doc said it would just make me groggy. I wasn't planning on revisiting my college days, but a drink or so a day would be nice . . .

YES - I do have the ginger pills, and will be taking them as well.

I am actually most concerned with the excursions I'll be taking - helicopter, floatplane, catamaran, etc. Of course, our cabin is on Deck 11, so I'll just hope it doesn't get choppy :D

I may end up pulling it off post helicopter ride & rely on the psi bands, ginger, and bonine for the rest. Though I think it takes 24 hrs. to leave your system.

Good info everyone, thank you so much!!

Got patches in hand - just wondering:

1. Whether anyone has ever had a bad experience with it?

I used it for rough waters while deep sea fishing out of West Palm Beach, FL, never on a cruise (all of 2!:p). I put it on about 2 hours before we went out - and took it off after being on the boat for 30 minutes. It was awful - dry mouth, fast heartbeart, nausea, sweats.

2. Drinking alcohol while wearing it OK? (in your experience)

No - I can only imagine what that have done!

3. Did it fail to work for anyone?

4. Anyone take Bonine as a backup?

The one time I was seasick, I used this. I was sleepy for a couple of hours, but able to eat again! I only had to take it once, and felt better the rest of the cruise.

T minus 3 counting!!!!

Bon Voyage

I don't use any anti-sea sickness treatments as I generally am not affected; however, my sister (same size as I, about 120 lbs) uses 1/2 of a Scop patch and thinks it works great.

The pressure bands are really just placebo effect--no randomized controlled trials have demonstrated any effect above that of placebo.

Bonine actually works, but makes some people very sleepy. I have given it to my sons when they were younger, and they just went to sleep.

With either Scop patches or Bonine, technically you shouldn't drink alcohol as the effects may be much enhanced. This may not be a problem for most people, but I would be cautious at first.

I don't use any anti-sea sickness treatments as I generally am not affected; however, my sister (same size as I, about 120 lbs) uses 1/2 of a Scop patch and thinks it works great.

The pressure bands are really just placebo effect--no randomized controlled trials have demonstrated any effect above that of placebo.

Bonine actually works, but makes some people very sleepy. I have given it to my sons when they were younger, and they just went to sleep.

With either Scop patches or Bonine, technically you shouldn't drink alcohol as the effects may be much enhanced. This may not be a problem for most people, but I would be cautious at first.

Hi Rachel,

I bought Bonine for my sons. It says that one dose lasts for 24 hours. Do you think I should give it to them at night before bed? I plan on giving it to them every night. Makes sense to me...Thanks for your input!

Yes that was it, my friend is a "lightweight", small person and while she did not drink to excess (she drank what we drank and we were not inebreated) the patch affected her even more than probably someone twice her size.

Re-the Bonine, everyone is different, but I personally wouldn't give it to my kids every night unless there really was the need for it. For me, it would be too hard to get them up in the morning and my kids would have been in a fog and not able to get up and go on the excursions.

Novice, my husband and kids took the helicopter to the glaciers in Juneau and he said they were extremely comfortable and stable helicopters. Noone got anywhere near queazy.

Have a fabulous trip!

My wife regularly wears the patch while cruising, as she is prone to getting sea sick. She does drink while aboard, typically a couple drinks per night, and hasn't had any problems from the combination. (Fortunately, she's not driving or operating heavy machinery!;)) Everyone reacts differently, so I'd take it slowly at first to see how it affects you (if at all), but you don't necessarily have to completely abstain from drinking. Also be aware that the patch isn't something you pop on and off and get instant results -- you're supposed to put it on at least 4 hours before you need it, and it will remain in your bloodstream some hours after you take it off. Be sure to read the other warnings and instructions for application that come with the patch or on the web site (transdermscop.com).

-- Eric

I've done speed read of this. I get sea sick in really rough seas. All those things make me sleepy. Have tried the non-drowsy formulas, and still get sleepy. It is still better to take a pill than being seasick, if you have ever experienced it!

the patch and had horrible, horrible side-effects. It contains Formaldahyde, you know. A lot of people don't care and use it and it is successful for them. Personally I would not like that in my system. He is a huge man, so size doesn't matter. I almost had to take him to the hospital the reaction was so severe..it is a person's system though.

He doesn't like Bonine as he doesn't like the dry mouth and it makes him sleepy.

We had a yacht at the time (he got seasick while it was in our dock!) and the guy who sold the boat told him about the wrist bands that have electric pulses on them (Travelsmith has them). He has worn those for years now and he doesn't have to worry about medication reactions and they DO help. He has not been seasick for years.

Recently someone told him about ginger. We get it at Mothers Market. They are like candy. He says they really help (when he hasn't put on his electric bands).

I am not prone to medication, so I think this is a much safer decision myself.

the patch and had horrible, horrible side-effects. It contains Formaldahyde, you know. A lot of people don't care and use it and it is successful for them. Personally I would not like that in my system. He is a huge man, so size doesn't matter. I almost had to take him to the hospital the reaction was so severe..it is a person's system though.

He doesn't like Bonine as he doesn't like the dry mouth and it makes him sleepy.

We had a yacht at the time (he got seasick while it was in our dock!) and the guy who sold the boat told him about the wrist bands that have electric pulses on them (Travelsmith has them). He has worn those for years now and he doesn't have to worry about medication reactions and they DO help. He has not been seasick for years.

Recently someone told him about ginger. We get it at Mothers Market. They are like candy. He says they really help (when he hasn't put on his electric bands).

I am not prone to medication, so I think this is a much safer decision myself.

Formaldahyde??? Not to be an idiot, but it's not listed on the ingredient list in any fashion.

I, too, get seasick just from seeing things, so I have a whole bag of tricks with me.

I know everyone is different and will have different experiences. Trying to get a feel for what they are, so this is all helpful info!

My wife regularly wears the patch while cruising, as she is prone to getting sea sick. She does drink while aboard, typically a couple drinks per night, and hasn't had any problems from the combination. (Fortunately, she's not driving or operating heavy machinery!;)) Everyone reacts differently, so I'd take it slowly at first to see how it affects you (if at all), but you don't necessarily have to completely abstain from drinking. Also be aware that the patch isn't something you pop on and off and get instant results -- you're supposed to put it on at least 4 hours before you need it, and it will remain in your bloodstream some hours after you take it off. Be sure to read the other warnings and instructions for application that come with the patch or on the web site (transdermscop.com).

-- Eric

Thanks, Eric. Good to hear the positive stories as well!

Novice, my husband and kids took the helicopter to the glaciers in Juneau and he said they were extremely comfortable and stable helicopters. Noone got anywhere near queazy.

Have a fabulous trip!

Thank you - I can't wait!!

I am glad to hear the helicopters were stable :) I was told the same thing when we were taking a flight over the Grand Canyon, so I didn't do/take anything. I completely fantasized about that barf bag the whole trip back, but focused on how my fellow passengers would hate me and got through it :D Never want to feel like that again, that's for sure!!

I read on another thread about Scopace. They are tablets that have the same ingredients as the patch, but are taken only when needed. Apparently, you do not need to take them ahead of time. I am planning on talking to my doctor about it before my next trip, as generally, MotionEaze works well for me "most" of the time. Scopace would be great for unusual circumstances.

Thank you - I can't wait!!

I am glad to hear the helicopters were stable :) I was told the same thing when we were taking a flight over the Grand Canyon, so I didn't do/take anything. I completely fantasized about that barf bag the whole trip back, but focused on how my fellow passengers would hate me and got through it :D Never want to feel like that again, that's for sure!!

Good morning Novice, I sure understand about never wanting that feeling again. I've been sea sick before on smaller boats in choppy waters.

Your story about wanting to use that barf bag is funny (now, after the fact of course!). I held off on doing the heli trip with my husband and kids and did another excursion but I saw the helicopters after my excursion and I could tell immediately I would regret not doing that with them. My son has a sensitive stomach and he reported no problem at all with the helicopter ride. He actually used his barf bag to put glacier top soil in it to bring it home (???why?? Who knows, he's 12). Imagine us handing the barf bag to the customs agent when we got into Vancouver! They let us keep it and just said "don't leave it in Canada"!

Best wishes,

I just got a script for Scopace pills from my doctor. He didn't know it was available in pill form (Col. Wes had indicated that they were). So, he gave me a script for 80 (!), which we will never use. Also will back up with the ginger pills (first option). Only time I have been seasick was crossing the North Sea on Song of Flower...lousy feeling, so will take the pills with me just in case. Like the fact that--supposedly--you can pop one when you begin to feel a little seasick and they still work!

they are very effective for me but the dry mouth thing is too much. Can't taste anything so what's the point on a cruise? I tried cutting one in half & that seems to work better for me. Not sure if it's "legal" but whatever works. A benedryl tablet will work too but zzzzzzzzzzz.

Just wanted to add that patch is available on Canadian websites WITHOUT Dr. perscription at a FRACTION of overpriced US. charges. My BF has bad inter ear prob, cannot cruise without patches. He said Canad. patches were fresher than US. ones usually are. He enjoys his cocktails with no problems.

Hi Rachel,

I bought Bonine for my sons. It says that one dose lasts for 24 hours. Do you think I should give it to them at night before bed? I plan on giving it to them every night. Makes sense to me...Thanks for your input![/quote

Bonine works fairly rapidly and, unlike the Scop patch, is effective after the person feels sea-sick. So I probably wouldn't give it to them every night unless you KNOW they are going to be seasick. If they get car sick easily, I would be more prone to just give it to them at bedtime.

My oldest son was terribly prone to carsickness as a child, so I would give it to him if the seas seemed rough. However, on calm seas, he was fine.

My wife and I use the patch every cruise. We drink. It is very effective. We have had no problems of any sort.

Ditto! I wouldn't leave home without it! After awhile I may notice a little dry mouth but given a choice between that and seasickness, I'll take the dry mouth anyday.

Archived