When Does Tip Talk On a Tour Get On Your Nerves?

SamFritz

You shouldn't pressure people to tip or you most likely won't get anything.
Makes you sound like you're economically desperate, which you may well be! :cool:

You're not going to get rich doing Tours

but no doubt that has become clear to you by now

Get a real job, with AIG or Goldman Sachs

where the real money is counted in billions, not in fives and singles. :D

As Jan&John has stated earlier, us Aussies don't tip in our own country as we get paid a decent wage in the first place.

I would be asking....just who makes all the money then? I presume that people on your tour have already paid for the joy of travelling on "your" tour bus. So, if you are soooo lowly paid and have to resort to harrassing and begging money from your passengers, where does all the money go to. I would be asking your boss for a decent wage in the first place.

We are not ignorant of how your system works over there. We don't need reminding that we are expected to tip. If we were repeatedly reminded you would get nothing! And I and my DH would probably tell you why you would get nothing, so you could add another to your list of complaints.

There would be no tip from me if a tour guide did what you state you do. I find the comment you said you make at the end (regarding shaking my hands and taking the tip) to be passive-aggressive, presumptuous, and unprofessional. I do not mind the sign per se (I agree some people do need some gently prompting or they will not realize a tip is appropriate for good service) but would object to the 15% comment on the sign. You are not a waiter at a restauraunt. The 15% does not apply to a tour bus driver/guide.

A sign stating that a tip is appreciated if one enjoys their tour is sufficient. A gentle comment at the end of the tour about how a tip is appreciated would also not bother me.

I believe in tipping. In fact, I LOVE to tip and show my appreciation. However, Gonzo's comments accurately sum up how I would feel about the situation being discussed.

Especially offensive to me would be the last statement about the handshake.

Kathy

I had a situation similar to what the OP is describing when I took a tour in Key West. There was a sign, but there were also frequent reminders to tip when we got off. The tour wasn't that great and he didn't get a tip from me!

I know that I put myself in a position to be criticized when I started this post. I am not whining, or angry about responses that have fairly criticized my approach to "gratuity education" on the tour. I have been disappointed by the few who have found it necessary to twist, misrepresent, or lie about what I say and do and then to inslut me for their falsely presented version of reality. The rest of this post is cut and pasted from another thread where someone from this thread decided to continue the false representations. Consider it my swan song from this thread.

I put an honest question out in my post and most people responded politely, even as they expressed their negative opinions. And I thanked them for their input; with their help I'm considering rewording a few parts of what I say. A handful characterized my 35 seconds of talk about tips as: constant, incessant, begging, extortion, coersion. My comment to "get a life" was not directed to those who kindly shared their thoughts, it was to that very small number who found it necessary to inslut me. They implied that I am unhappy with my job; I love it. They implied that people are leaving my tour feeling guilted into giving me a few dollars; in eight years, (over 900 tours) I've never had a complaint to me or to my company about any aspect of my service. People leave my tours smiling, happy and telling me that it couldn't have been better.

The only part of my experience with this tip talking post that has upset me are the people who have mis-stated the facts about what I say and do. Honest, feedback has been apprecaited and considered.

Peace.

All I can say now is that your term "Gratuity Education" is nothing but a twisted version of "Solicitation" that you feel is acceptable. I personally have travelled around the world and am very familiar with tipping guidelines, and do not need your lessons of how to, who to and when to tip.

I have been to Niagra Falls on numerous occasions on both the US and Canadian side.....Taken many tours from different operators....NEVER been approached for a tip via your "Gratuity Education" methods.

You sir are a joke in the tour industry, and I would hope that you get reprimanded for your actions by your company followed by dismissal if continuing your panhandeling afterwards.....You sir give a bad name to those tour operators who are provided a Gratuity for their services w/out "Begging" for them ! :mad:

Edited by travelntreats

I will be in your area for a quick 2 day. What are some MUST SEES in that time ?

BTW, to answer your question , 1 quick mention at the end is MORE than enough. I don't find the signs offensive.

Edited by saltmom1

My circle of close friends and traveling companions is made up mostly of hardworking employees of a nonprofit organization. Salaries are low, and the satisfaction comes from a job well done.

When they travel, they do not have a large amount of extra money. They budget for the trip and also budget tip money, but probably not 15 percent of a tour cost. They no doubt make less per hour than the tour guide--even before you count the tips. (Not the same for wait staff, of course.)

One other comment:

When I was in London MANY years ago, we booked a bus tour from London to Bath. We had a guide and a driver. Our guide told us from the outset that it was customary to tip her 10 percent of the (high) cost of the tour and to tip the driver an additional amount--I don't remember how much was suggested for him.

It was a lousy tour. She made a few comments during the long drive, and when we reached Bath, which is rich in history and culture, she just left us there on our own and told us where to pick up the bus for the return trip. So in essence, all we got for the high cost of the tour, was a bus trip to Bath.

I still remember that experience from 35 years ago. Just goes to show that something like that lingers in your mind as a not-so-happy experience. Perhaps OP gives a great tour, so this is not directly on point, but his closing comments will definitely leave a bad taste in many people's mouths to the point that they may forget the good tour he provides.

Kathy

I will be in your area for a quick 2 day. What are some MUST SEES in that time ?

BTW, to answer your question , 1 quick mention at the end is MORE than enough. I don't find the signs offensive.

Ya know, said I wasn't going to say anything more on this thread, but... since you're asking about the falls:

AMERICAN SIDE:

Cave of the Winds - the best attraction in the falls. Walks you right into the Bridal Veil. If you want to get soaked, you can.

Niagara Falls State Park - The park itself has many beautiful views. Once you've paid for parking the park is free. The food is not. Eat somewhere else.

Daredevil Museum - Free to go in. Mainly it's a souvenir shop, but they do have three barrels that have gone over the falls and lots of other cool stuff. It's on the corner of Rainbow Ave. and Third Street.

Whirlpool Jet Boats - A little expensive at $55.00 but it is a 45 minute thrill ride up class four rapids in the gorge.

CANADIAN SIDE:

Whirlpool Cable Car - $8.00 per person ride over the Whirlpool Section of the Gorge.

Journey Behind the Falls - man made tunnels carved out so that you can see the falls from behind.

Skylon or Minolta Towers - Fantastic Big Picture Views of the Falls.

You can take the Maid of the Mist from either side. Also a must do.

Enjoy your trip.:)

Edited by SamFritz

I know that I put myself in a position to be criticized when I started this post. I am not whining, or angry about responses that have fairly criticized my approach to "gratuity education" on the tour. I have been disappointed by the few who have found it necessary to twist, misrepresent, or lie about what I say and do and then to inslut me for their falsely presented version of reality. The rest of this post is cut and pasted from another thread where someone from this thread decided to continue the false representations. Consider it my swan song from this thread.

I put an honest question out in my post and most people responded politely, even as they expressed their negative opinions. And I thanked them for their input; with their help I'm considering rewording a few parts of what I say. A handful characterized my 35 seconds of talk about tips as: constant, incessant, begging, extortion, coersion. My comment to "get a life" was not directed to those who kindly shared their thoughts, it was to that very small number who found it necessary to inslut me. They implied that I am unhappy with my job; I love it. They implied that people are leaving my tour feeling guilted into giving me a few dollars; in eight years, (over 900 tours) I've never had a complaint to me or to my company about any aspect of my service. People leave my tours smiling, happy and telling me that it couldn't have been better.

The only part of my experience with this tip talking post that has upset me are the people who have mis-stated the facts about what I say and do. Honest, feedback has been apprecaited and considered.

Peace.

Sir, after reading your last post I can only say that from my vantage point you have not heard what people have really said.

As for no complaints. It's amazing how willing people are to smile even when angry because they are being polite and then once away from the situation talking about how awful something was. I've done it myself rather than make a scene. It's also true in my experience that people don't complain to tour companies unless the service was truly horrible.

Well, it's clear to all of us that our thoughts have been dismissed out of hand. I wish you good things with your tour guiding but do hope you will take time to consider that whether or not anyone complains and even if you get bigger tips your behavior is not appreciated.

Those are the "ONLY" tipping reminders? You're pretty blatant, IMO. That would turn me off and I'd probably give you nothing.

To me it doesnt seem to bad think if u went to a job interview and didnt suggest a set rate of pay, they would try to pay you as little as they can it seems to me that that is what the OP is doing.

To me it doesnt seem to bad think if u went to a job interview and didnt suggest a set rate of pay, they would try to pay you as little as they can it seems to me that that is what the OP is doing.

I'm not there to pay the driver directly. I did that when I paid for the tour - one that included a driver/guide. I'm there to have a relaxing enjoyable tour. If he wants to negotiate a new "rate of pay" he should do it with his employer, not his customers.

I guess where the breakdown is coming from is this - he is NOT entitled to a tip. It is something that one earns for special services rendered. And, where he gets the "its standard to give a bus driver/guide a 15% gratuity" from I sure don't know. I've never seen that in any tour book I've read. Maybe the OP can give us his source and help us all with his "gratuity education". On a $50 tour for 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids), he thinks he deserves a $30 tip? I don't think so.

I'm not there to pay the driver directly. I did that when I paid for the tour - one that included a driver/guide. I'm there to have a relaxing enjoyable tour. If he wants to negotiate a new "rate of pay" he should do it with his employer, not his customers.

I guess where the breakdown is coming from is this - he is NOT entitled to a tip. It is something that one earns for special services rendered. And, where he gets the "its standard to give a bus driver/guide a 15% gratuity" from I sure don't know. I've never seen that in any tour book I've read. Maybe the OP can give us his source and help us all with his "gratuity education". On a $50 tour for 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids), he thinks he deserves a $30 tip? I don't think so.

Surprisingly it is listed as 15% in many sources. Just google "Tipping Tour Guides" and browse what comes up. I don't agree with tipping a tour guide 15%, as so many things go into the price of a tour that have absolutely nothing to do with the amount of work the tour guide must do, and more importantly the quality of the service they provide. I highly doubt that more than a small percentage of people tip tour guides 15% on tours that cost more than $40 per person. IMHO $2 to $5 per person (if any - depending on the level of service provided) is far more typical and apporpriate for a standard tour.

The sign is enough. Verbal reminders are tacky and annoying.

I agree! We had one tour guide (both driver and guide) driving us in one of the Italian ports and he got very annoyed by me asking questions along the way saying "you talk too much." Well, of all the nerve! After that comment, I felt like crying and there's nothing my poor husband could do to comfort me so I told him "you are NOT to tip him and I'm NOT going to recommend his company to anyone." We wish we had the son to drive us around; he seemed a lot nicer. Our guide was also bothered that we had to make one additional bathroom stop! A tip is earned for good service and should never be solicited in my opinion. I'm a bartender part-time and we are not allowed to solicit in any way shape or form. If I made a good drink, a guest will recognize it!

Ya know, said I wasn't going to say anything more on this thread, but... since you're asking about the falls:

AMERICAN SIDE:

Cave of the Winds - the best attraction in the falls. Walks you right into the Bridal Veil. If you want to get soaked, you can.

Niagara Falls State Park - The park itself has many beautiful views. Once you've paid for parking the park is free. The food is not. Eat somewhere else.

Daredevil Museum - Free to go in. Mainly it's a souvenir shop, but they do have three barrels that have gone over the falls and lots of other cool stuff. It's on the corner of Rainbow Ave. and Third Street.

Whirlpool Jet Boats - A little expensive at $55.00 but it is a 45 minute thrill ride up class four rapids in the gorge.

CANADIAN SIDE:

Whirlpool Cable Car - $8.00 per person ride over the Whirlpool Section of the Gorge.

Journey Behind the Falls - man made tunnels carved out so that you can see the falls from behind.

Skylon or Minolta Towers - Fantastic Big Picture Views of the Falls.

You can take the Maid of the Mist from either side. Also a must do.

Enjoy your trip.:)

Thanks. Enjoy your yolur cruise.

With regard to the recommended percentage a tip should be...

I'm old school: that's a clear-cut 10% --if I feel like tipping you.

I will not be racheted up to 15% suddenly -next thing you know it'll be 20%. :cool:

In case you're unaware of it, I already paid full price for the product? Remember?

A tip is extra -At my discretion -Not yours?

And here's my tip to you: guilt doesn't work -never did!

I just did the math & a tour that cost $35pp @ 15% tip = $5.25pp times approx. 25 persons on the bus = $131.25 per day times 5 days = $656.25 per week plus the driver/guides pay.. Not a bad weeks work in todays economy.

Or $20pp @15%tip = $3pp times 25 persons = $75 per day times 5 days = $375 per week + pay..

Minumum wage in Penna. $7.25 X 40 hrs = $290 a week before taxes. Way more in both scenerios then a lot of people earn today & the bulk of the income is TAX FREE as the government can not know what they actually make & which in the long run is a bonus in itself. So please stop the whinning. As I said before I am a generous tipper but not when someone trys to put me on a guilt trip because this is the work they chose to do...

Edited by EJ'S MOM-MOM

With regard to the recommended percentage a tip should be...

I'm old school: that's a clear-cut 10% --if I feel like tipping you.

I will not be racheted up to 15% suddenly -next thing you know it'll be 20%. :cool:

In case you're unaware of it, I already paid full price for the product? Remember?

A tip is extra -At my discretion -Not yours?

And here's my tip to you: guilt doesn't work -never did!

Bravo! On all points!! :D

I don't have a real problem with the sign . . other than the suggested percentage (tacky) . . . . . it would be my choice how much to tip you.

Your initial 'plea' for a tip is bothersome and I would have no problem adjusting you tip downward because of it.

Your parting shot just smacks of greed. I would shake your hand and thank you for doing the job I paid for you to do.

As Goldryder wrote:

You just don't do it...no-one has the right to demand a tip from their guests, it is EARNED, not a right.

I don't know how the system works over there in the USA but if someones wages are made up of nearly all tips how does the person do their tax return. I presume that the percentage of people who are actually honest and report their actual takings ie tips and pay the appropriate taxes are a minute proportion of the workforce. Seems to me the OP is on a pretty good wicket the way he has it set up.

In Australia we get paid a wage, pay tax out of that wage each week and then at the end of the financial year we either get money back or pay extra. The majority of workers get money back. It seems to me a much fairer system than the one there where people who work for tips don't pay tax or very little.

How does it actually work over there, have I got it wrong? How does your IRA check whether people are actually paying the correct tax?