HELP....12 days until cruise

starboard59

HI,

This morning I booked a last minute cruise for myself and two sisters. It leaves NYC and travels to NE/Canada. I know I do not need a passport (mine is expired) and a birth certificate and another form of govt issued photo ID is okay. I ASKED three different times of carnival reps. I told them I had a military ID, expired passport, license, and B certificate. So I called with another question and decided to ask one more time because neither of my sisters have UTD passports either. SO CARNIVAL NOW tells me I also need a copy of my marriage or divorce papers because I use my married name which in everyones case, as far as I know, is different from their birth name.....I was divorced over 20 yrs ago, am out of state and dont plan on going home before the cruise because its impossible.God knows where the papers are anyway. Carnival supervisor said "its not their policy, but customs and immigration and they might let you go if their having a good day...and maybe not. There must be many people (less now and I will be getting my passport renewed for a jan cruise and I know I should have one etc) who bring their B certificate, and have been married that dont bring their marriage /divorce papers???What to do, any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Starboard, If I were you I would visit the Government travel sites. Do not contact Carnival, Go to the Passport information site, I'm under the impression that it was either June or July that passports were required between Canada and the States. Good Luck

If this is a closed loop itinerary starting and ending in the same US port (New York in this case), all you need for a cruise to Canada is your current DL and an official copy of your BC (raised seal or stamp). If you leave the ship early and travel by land back to the USA, there will not be a problem. However all air travel requires a passport between a foreign country (Canada in this case) and the USA (our rules).

The problem arises however when the name on the BC does not match exactly the name on the DL. Women who married and changed their name, children who were adopted and others are in this category. You may be asked for official documentation (not copies!) changing your name. Married women would need a marriage certificate, adopted children would need a court order, etc. On these boards it has been reported that the documents have been requested at times but evidentally not frequently. The Carnival rep is very correct in what (s)he is saying.

Current military ID is only good when accompanied with official travel orders. The Canadians will accept an expired passport to prove USA citizenship and a current DL, but the US side will not! Go figure.

I've NEVER needed a marriage certificate with my BC & DL---EVERY married woman's name will be different on the BC. as long as they are correct on the DL....

Exactly...as long as name on the drivers license is the same as the reservation. I used to work embarkations, and the birth certificate is used to compare birthdates, not names. As others have said, most woman's names will be different...

The rep was correct in that the marraige/divorce certificate/decree "could" be asked for but the chances of that are very very slim unless you've set off their alarm for some other reason. Doubt you'll even need it but take your military ID and expired passport as it can't hurt. Try to calm down and stop worrying as the chances are REALLY REALLY high that everything will be just fine. :)

I've NEVER needed a marriage certificate with my BC & DL---EVERY married woman's name will be different on the BC. as long as they are correct on the DL....

True, but we've had several members here who've reported with first-hand experience of being that "one in a thousand" woman who's required to show the documents for a name change (or the notarized letter from a non-traveling parent). You've never been asked for it, which is great. But that doesn't mean that no one is ever asked for it--As members here have attested numerous times over the years.

Exactly...as long as name on the drivers license is the same as the reservation. I used to work embarkations, and the birth certificate is used to compare birthdates, not names. As others have said, most woman's names will be different...

Did you work in embarkations as a government agent? If not, then your experience is great, but not quite relevant. I know that the cruise agents are primarily looking for birth dates and a matching name on the DL. But it's the Immigrations officers of various countries who can require any passenger to prove her/his identity with a paper trail leading from the BC to the current DL. This includes, and it seems especially during the past several years, returning to the US.

The rep was correct in that the marraige/divorce certificate/decree "could" be asked for but the chances of that are very very slim unless you've set off their alarm for some other reason. Doubt you'll even need it but take your military ID and expired passport as it can't hurt. Try to calm down and stop worrying as the chances are REALLY REALLY high that everything will be just fine. :)

It doesn't necessarily require setting off alarms for an agent to decide that today's the day to ask a few people for those extra documents. OTOH, it's probably best not to appear nervous or worried either. Perhaps the old adage "If you look and act like you belong somewhere, then people assume you do" works with Immigration agents too.;) It certainly is very, very, very unlikely that she'll be asked for those specific documents, especially based on the percentage of members here who report never having been asked for it (tiny) to never having been asked for (nearly everyone, including me).

starboard59:

I have to agree with grandmato4 (and others) that you should take a deep breath, calm yourself, and try not to fret about it. Could you be asked to show a copy of your marriage certificate and/or divorce decree? Well, yes. Is it very likely? No, not at all.

I would absolutely suggest you take your expired passport because it will have photo, birthdate, and other pertinent information. And what the heck, bring your military ID if you want because it's one more thing that could help bolster your argument that you have enough documentation to prove who the heck you are!

If by some slim chance one of the Immigration agents asks for your paper trail from BC to DL, IMO you should calmly explain the situation just as you have told us: Divorced 20 years ago; do not have access to papers at this time (but I do suggest you try to have them available for next time or go ahead and renew your passport); here are numerous photo identifications, including an expired passport that was issued by our own government. If that doesn't satisfy him/her, insist on speaking to a supervisor.

Now before you start worrying again, let me repeat: The chances of you being asked for you marriage certificate/divorce decree are teeny, tiny, and miniscule. If for some reason I'm not using my passport, I always bring a copy of our marriage certificate--and I've never once been asked for it. I honestly think you could easily make the case that your other IDs (especially your old passport) prove that you are who you say you are.

Finally, once you're onboard and all is well, I suggest that you find yourself a delicious beverage (adult variety, if that suits your tastes; I like to start my cruise with something completely decadent), find a spot to relax, and then enjoy every minute of your cruise. It's so trite and I actually normally loathe the cliche, but...Don't worry, be happy!:D

beachchick

Thank you everyone for your replys!! Well I did call immigrations and customs and they said its possible I would be asked for a marriage cert but perhpas not. Recommended I bring it. SOOOOOOOOOOO my sisters are going to city hall in my home town and filling out an application for copy of my marriage cert and than the clerk will mail it. They are also getting copies of theirs just in case. Hopefully will get to me in time.....if it doesnt I feel I have enough ID to bring and will be on the ship come hell or high water!! Thanks beach chick....I'm ready for that drink as are my two sisters...who hoo!!

starboard59: Sounds like you've got things under control. What terrific sisters you have! (I've got a pretty great one too.) I'm sure all will be well and you'll be sipping those drinks before you know it. À votre santé!:D

beachchick

Archived