U.S. Dollars to Yen

edpacecar

usually this is true. depends on the fees your bank charge.

i usually change a small amount at home, just to have some local currency in-hand for a taxi ride. the chance is small but the atm might be out of order at the airport (or in your case the cruise port).

then when i get there, i make a bigger withdrawl so i minimize the atm fees.

be sure to let your bank know your itinerary so they do not think the card is being used criminally.

Hi,

Have heard it's better to wait till getting to Japan

to change dollars into Yen.

Any input on this.

Sailing on HAL Vancouver 09/23/09 - 10/26/09 Hong Kong

Thanks

Ed and Donna

We took a small amount of Japanese Yen with us (exchanged at our local Wells Fargo bank). Because we were doing Okinawa on our own, we wanted to at least start with some local currency. Our friends didn't have any Yen, but we were able to find an ATM across the street from where the shuttle drops you off. They finally figured out how to use the ATM and as luck would have it, cabs were located right at the ATM. I don't know if the taxi driver would take US dollars or not, but he quoted us in Yen. It was about 1100 Yen to Shurijo Castle. We also used Yen for the monorail back and for tickets at Shurijo, but I understand that Shurijo will take US dollars according to someone else. We had a bit of Yen left so we stopped at the local McDonalds and had something to drink. We didn't do any shopping so really didn't need much currency.

There is a place to exchange money in Narita airport, after you clear immigration and pick up your luggage. Very easy -- we exchanged some cash there because few ATMs in Japan work with Western debit cards. (Exceptions are Citi Bank ATMs, and the ATMs in 7-11 stores and post offices).

Not sure about arrivals by cruise ship...

Bear in mind that the Japanese are not very fond of foreign currency - especially US Dollars. After leaving the airport, there are very few banks or foreign exchange offices in the cities where you can change US Dollars for Yen.

If you don't read or speak Japanese, it is even more difficult.

You can exchange dollars at most big hotels, but at a very poor exchange rate.

The Yen has been very strong against the US dollar for the past year. This is the worst time since WW II to change US Dollars to Yen.

For the past several months the exchange rate has been moving between 88 Yen and 95 Yen to the Dollar.

Today (30 July) it is just below 95 Yen to the dollar.

If previous trends are any indicator, the Yen will be getting stronger against the Dollar over the next several weeks. Every week you wait to change money, the more you will likely lose on the exchange.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the City/Town/Port that you'll be visiting. We waited until we arrived at Tokyo's Narita Airport before withdrawing cash from the ATMs. Since you will be arriving by cruise ship and have only a limited amount of time, you may be better off having some Yen on hand. Many temples and museums accept cash (Yen) only and the smaller restaurants as well. When we visited Japan in March, the USD to the yen fluctuated between 98 and 94.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first trip I bit the bullet and realizing I was paying too much exchanged in LAX just to have some starter money. The only Japanese ATM's I could use were in post offices.

I made some mistakes with my Japanese money during my first trip there and folded the bills to make them fit into my wallet. That is considered very rude in Japan. I always learned to put the cash into a tray offered when I paid for items rather than putting it down on the counter.

I adore Japanese vending machines for beverages and snacks. I kept small money to use for those. It is relatively easy to figure out what the things are.

I always save my leftover money for the next trip so I have some starter funds. Seldom have I used a credit card in Japan.

Hi,

Have heard it's better to wait till getting to Japan

to change dollars into Yen.

Any input on this.

Sailing on HAL Vancouver 09/23/09 - 10/26/09 Hong Kong

Thanks

Ed and Donna

ATM is always the best rate/way unless you are changing a ton of money. Japan is more a cash society then you'd think for a country so built on technology.

Today, 23 August, the US Dollar has slipped to 93 yen. It has lost 2% in the past 3 weeks.

It will probably go down to 91 or so before the Japanese bail it out again.

Phill if you know that for sure you could retire very quickly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived