Expectations not met?

jerseygirl3

I don't know how to descibe what they are "supposed" to taste like, but I don't think they are supposed to taste like slightly sweetened cold milk.

Jana

(didn't try one on Regatta this time)

I guess I am old & remember how milkshakes tasted before the likes of DQ & McD added more sweetness to mikshakes..;)

I still enjoy them

Just like ordering Coffee at Starbucks ...nothing like I remember coffee should be :D

Lyn

The smoothies they do at the ice cream station are also gorgeous and full of flavour, especially the tropical temptation.

Oh, I love smoothies. I wish now that I had tried one!

I guess I am old & remember how milkshakes tasted before the likes of DQ & McD added more sweetness to mikshakes..;)

I still enjoy them

Lyn

I know what you mean... what's scary is that the McD milkshakes remain almost solid well after they have "melted" and are past their prime!

I'm old enough to remember lunch-counter milkshakes (and malteds, which Oceania also makes). Maybe I'll try another some day, have them add more ice cream or something? I don't know what it was about it that I didn't like, but they didn't even taste like chocolate milk... and I didn't care for them.

Jana

Unbelievable That the only complaint some people can come up with is the thickness of the milkshakes. I guess that's why we all return to Oceania year after year!:D

You're absolutely right, and it started with a comment... not on the thickness, but the flavor, which then became a discussion.

Those who don't care to participate don't have to, but discussing the fact that Oceania even has milkshakes and then the type and flavors, and smoothies, and what people like and how they like it in a conversation about Oceania food in general is as appropriate as discussing the size of the showers, for example.

So... what's YOUR favorite milkshake onboard?

Jana

We have never sailed with Oceania but have booked our first cruise for next May. Are their shakes and malts an extra charge?? What flavors do they have?? Can you order from any bars or just certain ones?? We are really looking forward to the dining experience on Oceania!

Are their shakes and malts an extra charge??

NO CHARGE

What flavors do they have?? Last year we had chocolate , vanilla, strawberry but sounds like things have changed

Can you order from any bars or just certain ones??

Just from the Ice cream area near WAVES deck 9

We have never sailed with Oceania but have booked our first cruise for next May. Are their shakes and malts an extra charge?? What flavors do they have?? Can you order from any bars or just certain ones?? We are really looking forward to the dining experience on Oceania!

Adjacent to Waves Grill on the starboard side of Deck 9, there's an ice cream bar where hand-dipped shakes and malteds are available free of charge. (I guess the smoothies are made there too, but I've only had chocolate shakes, twice.)

There's some useful information here! I didn't stand at the counter to get mine, it was brought to me by a waiter, or maybe I would have asked for another scoop so it wasn't so thin and bland. Or maybe I would have had a smoothie if I had known they have them.

They make their own ice creams and they are absolutely fantastic. The sorbets are about as perfect as they come and very refreshing.

Yum!

Jana

Don't bother with the smoothies. They're made from a mix, not fresh fruit, and are overly sweet.

At the risk of annoying half the forum, wuch another post about smoothies & milkshakes... :p

Each to their own, my mother and I thought the smoothies were very refreshing - although you are right that they are made from a mix.

The milkshakes can be made in any flavour that they have on offer as an ice cream, at the Waves ice cream counter.

I have just returned from the Mediterranean Tapestry cruise and did not try the milkshakes or smoothies. However I was disappointed with the food. Maybe my expectations were too high after reading all the threads about the food before I went. It was my first cruise in 30 years so I do not have anything to compare it with. I found the lamb was excellent ( they told us it was Australian Lamb). Breakfast was good. The specialty restaurants had better deserts but after an unpleasant encounter with the Maitre'D in Toscana the friend I was travelling with refused to return there.

Everything else about the cruise was great and met my expectations after reading cruise critic. I found the shore excursions good but expensive. If you ever get a chance to do the Private tour of the Vatican go for it. It was absolutely amazing and worth every cent

In reading this thread it is refreshing to read that not one person stated the food was bad. It seems some come down to expectations and not quality. I guess if I were expecting 5 star quality and did get it I would be disappointed. Knowing cruise ships have to appeal to all types of palettes makes that a daunting task.

I know when we cruise are expections are always in check when it comes to cuisines on cruise ships. So far we found the best food on a cruise ship on X Murano it rivals any land based restaurant we ever dined out. That is only our opinion and like the milkshake debate going on here you cannot please everyone. It sounds to me that Oceania had a good solid food program in place each one of our taste are different to what we like and don't. Even if the food is good if you expected great you are going to be a little let down. This is what I taking away from this thread. I am ok with that and would consider trying Oceania in the near future...Thank you guys this was a good thread and very balanced. By the way the milk shake posts gave me a good laugh.

Archived