Expectations not met?

jerseygirl3

We are from the chicago area and have been fortunate to dine at someof the best here. we sailed Regatta for one of the TA's and found the food was great. we also sail Disney (grandsons) and enjoy their food as well. I'd take O over DCL, but as everyone has pointed out, it is an individual matter. BTW, hard to beat NYC, Chicago and LA for quality, but then again, look what the cost is!

Thanks for all the comments. When my sister and her family return home from the cruise, I will try to get more specifics. But to give a bit of background, my sister is a trained chef. so, she can certainly appreciate well prepared food. However, on a cruise, she is very understanding of the fact that they are cooking for many, so her expectations are different. As I mentioned before, she has cruised many of the mainstream cruiselines, from Carnival to Celebrity, with Princess and HAL in between. She has always been rather satisfied with the food on the above-mentioned cruiselines. So to hear her say she was underwhelmed by the entrees on Oceania surprised me, as I don't think her expectations were exceedingly high. Of course, given previous reports, she did expect it to be better than the mainstream cruiselines, but how much better I'm not sure. I'll have to question her when she returns home. She made a point of mentioning that the appetizers outshone the entrees. She's not a dessert person, so I wouldn't give her dessert rating much credence (she probably didn't even order dessert). I haven't heard back from her since they ate in Toscana, so I'm hoping that was better than their experience in Polo. Lest anybody thinks they are not enjoying themselves, I didn't sense that from her emails. She said they are loving the cruise and the itinerary is fabulous. She said the staff and crew have been wonderful. Her children are 9-year-old twins (really, really well behaved and well traveled), and she said she feels very comfortable with them on the ship, as the crew and fellow passengers have gotten to know them, and apparently are enjoying them.

As I said, I will question her more in depth when she returns home. Hopefully she's taking some notes so I will have something more specific to report.

Regardless, we have every intention of keeping our booking for the Regatta TA next March.

I find the food better on Oceania than other cruise lines that I have tried. I ascribe to BruinSteve's choice of cruise lines to get the best value and have not experienced the high end luxury lines. I also think I would prefer being with people who are satisfied with the good things in life instead of the best things in life. I think the Polo Grill on Regatta was better last August than this June on Nautica. I suspect it is just due to different staff in the galley. I did not perceive any change in quality of the ingredients.

I can relate to the gentleman that works in an Italian Restaurant. The veal limone had no "bite". In talking with the chef, he metioned that American tastes are such that he toned down the preparation. He kindly offered to make an adjustment in the preparation if I ordered it another time. He also mentioned that most prefered the pasta more tender than al dente. Toscano was quite good aside form the unexpected blandness of the limone. It of course is no Giovanni's on the Hill.

Also I would rather avail myself of the service on Oceania rather than on other lines. It is a more friendly higher level service than I have expereinced elsewhere.

We were just on Insignia, Barcelona to Rome, and left the ship the same day your sister boarded. Neither of us had any complaints with the quality of the food (we've also cruised HAL and X and I'd give the nod to O), and we were both pleasantly surprised that the GDR was every bit as good as the specialty restaurants. Our only complaint (especially w/ Polo Grill) is that the portions they serve are so large that you can't enjoy 3 or 4 courses without wasting half your meal! I don't think either of us ever finished our main course in any of the three dining rooms. Tapas buffet dinners were very nice and quiet. For lunch, Waves had excellent made-to-order burgers and sandwiches. IMHO, the variety of choices is as good as it gets on a ship of this size.

I also agree with the poster who suggested that the rough seas may have affected their opinion.

Thanks for all the comments. When my sister and her family return home from the cruise, I will try to get more specifics. But to give a bit of background, my sister is a trained chef. so, she can certainly appreciate well prepared food.

Does she work in a large or smaller establishment?

Sometimes in a smaller venue you can cater better to more personal tastes than on a cruise ship...maybe she is comparing to her workplace.

Lyn

We have cruised three times, all on Oceania. The first two times were on Insignia, and the food was great.

I have to admit, I am somewhat picky. I cook a lot, always from "scratch". Generally the food I make at home is much better than what is available in most restauants, so we don't eat out a lot.

Last fall on our TA on Regatta I felt the food was not as good as it had been in the past. At first DH disageed, but after a few more meals he agreed with me. Nothing tangible, it was fine, just not the fine dining experience we had encountered previously on Insignia. Ironically, Jacques Pepin was on this cruise.

Our travelling companion on this cruise likes her steak well done and at one meal it went back to the kitchen THREE times before they got it right. By then she had lost interest. And I'm not talking not done quite well enough. It was a very rare steak that was served. She tried beef again in Polo only to have the same thing happen so she just didn't order beef for the rest of the cruise. I suspect they will not cruise again.

Mo

This November will be my third Oceania cruise and comparing with 17 other lines I have been on, Oceania is by far the best in the majority of categories. Everyone has different tastes and expectations. Life would be boring if we didn't have different opinions. I have been on Regent, Celebrity, and the RCCL lines when we cruise with our son. I prefer Oceania because I haven't been disappointed in the food, service, cabin, etc. Have I had a steak returned because it was too rare for me, Yes and it was handled to my satisfaction. Expensive wines don't mean the taste is to your liking either just because of the cost. My Boss used to say, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time". :):)

This November will be my third Oceania cruise and comparing with 17 other lines I have been on, Oceania is by far the best in the majority of categories. Everyone has different tastes and expectations. Life would be boring if we didn't have different opinions. I have been on Regent, Celebrity, and the RCCL lines when we cruise with our son. I prefer Oceania because I haven't been disappointed in the food, service, cabin, etc. Have I had a steak returned because it was too rare for me, Yes and it was handled to my satisfaction. Expensive wines don't mean the taste is to your liking either just because of the cost. My Boss used to say, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time". :):)

Did your boss know Abe Lincoln?

I just returned from Baltics on Regatta. I was very disappointed in Polo (have dined there 6 times before). My steak on two different nights was not to my liking. Overcooked the first night and while properly cooked the second night it was dry and tasteless. We did speak to the head Chef and he thanked us for our input. We cancelled our 3rd night at Polo. We consistently find that we enjoy Tapas the best.

Got another email from my sister and she elaborated a bit more. I'm copying and pasting a section of her email that may explain her feelings a bit more:

Last I wrote, we were scheduled to experience Toscano and believe me, a wonderful experience it was! We had a late reservation but the kids brought books with them. When you enter the restaurant, there is a giant wheel of Parm Reggiano cheese that they carve chunks out of and serve at your table. They then arrive at your table with a service cart loaded with different types of olive oils and balsamic vinegars to try. Each course was wonderful and the chef came out to meet us at the end of the meal. He was from New York, and had only joined Oceania 3 months ago. He had a restaurant in NY but apparently had to close due to the bad economy which is why I am sure he then joined the cruise line. I took pictures with him so I’ll be showing them to you.

We’ve eaten a few times in the Grand Dining Room and some evenings at Tapas on the Terrace. We really enjoy the latter due to the relaxed feel and great selections. The Grand Dinining room is also very good. Some courses were exceptional and others were good, but overall the food is very good. I can’t say it’s over the top incredible which is what the reviews made it sound like. Don’t get me wrong….we don’t leave the table disappointed but rather the build up perhaps created an image that each course would be five star, in taste and presentation. Again, we are not at all disappointed! I’m just trying to give you an honest, accurate take on the food aspect. We had brunch one day in the Grand Dining Room and that was lovely. Wonderful service and ambience. We also had breakfast in the GD the other morning and Michael Sr. order baby lamb chops! Can you believe that was on the menu? I had an egg beaters omelet, as well as my customary smoked salmon!

Hopefully this sheds some more light on her take on the dining experience on Oceania.

BTW, she wondered if anybody on CC knew the best way (and cost) to get from the port in Venice to the Treviso (TSF) airport? They are two adults and two children.

I think the food is five-star.

My mother said her baked lobster in Polo was tough and that the Reuben sandwich at Waves was "revolting." I had something once that I felt was too salty and I found the milkshakes too bland.

Everything else I've had was wonderful, at least five-star. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe I look at the presentation and ambiance as well as the actual food in making that statement. I don't know. Oceania's dining is head and shoulders above any other line I've sailed, and that includes Silversea and Regent.

Some might find this odd, but the next in line for me -- as far as the actual food goes -- is Carnival. I don't like the set dining times (or the larger ships) but their food is adventurous, highly seasoned and really, really good.

Jana

I think the food is five-star.

My mother said her baked lobster in Polo was tough and that the Reuben sandwich at Waves was "revolting." I had something once that I felt was too salty and I found the milkshakes too bland.

Everything else I've had was wonderful, at least five-star. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe I look at the presentation and ambiance as well as the actual food in making that statement. I don't know. Oceania's dining is head and shoulders above any other line I've sailed, and that includes Silversea and Regent.

Some might find this odd, but the next in line for me -- as far as the actual food goes -- is Carnival. I don't like the set dining times (or the larger ships) but their food is adventurous, highly seasoned and really, really good.

Jana

FYI...Carnival has begun offering flexible dining. The only caveat is if you opt for non-traditional dining, you must prepay your tips.

My sister and her family are spending a few days post-cruise visiting some friends in Germany. I believe they arrive back to the States on July 28. I'm sure I'll get more specifics then.

Again, does anybody have any information to offer as far as the transfers from Venice port to the Treviso airport?

Jo-Ann

Again, does anybody have any information to offer as far as the transfers from Venice port to the Treviso airport?

Jo-Ann

Never been to the cruiseport in Venice, but if you get to the bus station from the cruiseport (and it looks perhaps 10 minutes away), there is a very good, cheap a/c bus (ATVO, I believe) that runs very often (every 30 minutes?) out to the airport, with room underneath for all your luggage.

Sorry to be vague, but it is almost three years since our land trip there.

Jo-Ann

Most cruisers go to Marco Polo airport

You might find the info on this site helpful (scroll to the bottom)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/arriving_in_venice_by_air.htm

If they are flying Ryanair

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/treviso_airport_bus_to_venice.htm

you could also ask on the Italy forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

• 4 weeks later...
Okay...I am not a "gourmet"...

I NEVER compare the food on any cruise ship to Spago or the Palm...It's just not fair. There are gourmet restaurants here that cook for a couple of dozen people a night...the Nautica is feeding over 1,000 (between passengers and crew)...

Have just booked our 3rd O Cruise - the food brings us back. Based on other cruise lines we find the food to be consistently the best, but you gotta remember they are serving +1,000 people with varying tastes so cannot compare to Michelon restaurants.

What are they suppose to taste like?

Ha, Lyn, I left for Regatta before you posted this so I just found it.

I've had two milkshakes, both chocolate. They were bland to me. Not enough ice cream maybe? Or not enough chocolate syrup? I don't know, I just didn't care for them.

I don't know how to descibe what they are "supposed" to taste like, but I don't think they are supposed to taste like slightly sweetened cold milk.

Jana

(didn't try one on Regatta this time)

I've never had a meal in the Polo which was not excellent, I love that restaurant.

With the milkshakes the strength of the flavour is partly linked to which ice cream you choose. Also they will make them thicker if you ask, I used to ask for a thick shake, they just use more ice cream and less milk! ;)

The smoothies they do at the ice cream station are also gorgeous and full of flavour, especially the tropical temptation.

Archived