How Well Do They Clean the Rooms Before Each Embarkation?

tjeanty

Hi All,

I don't know why I am worrying about this now, as this is my third cruise. But how well does the staff clean the rooms? Are the comforters changed? Pillow cases? I'm so anal when it comes to cleansiness, and I have watched a lot of news specials about hotel rooms and how they say they clean and change the sheets, when in actuality, they really don't. I think I may pack a can of Lysol to spray over the bed just in case...

Well......when we were sitting in Mobile Bay for 7 hours delayed due to fog, we chatted with our room steward while he cleaned our room - he did change the sheets and pillowcases, and he even told us he would change them again for the next guests if we wanted to lie back down on the bed while we waited. A lot of the guests were waiting upstairs, and we did for a while but got tired of that.

Maybe they were just doing it because we were watching, but I don't think so - in my DB's room across the hall, they even went ahead and put the beds together for the next guest and changed the sheets then.

I've been on both ends of the delay - not sure which is better! Twice we have been late embarking because the previous cruise was delayed coming in and once we were the ones stuck in the bay - the fog was thicker than anything I've ever seen!

When I was on that tour of the Legend two weeks ago we got to see the "change over" cleaning that the cabins get. It is VERY thorough. They had stripped everything off the beds, and even removed the soft "headboard" things from the wall and were even cleaning those. It appeared that they do a very in depth cleaning of each and every room.

Perhaps you might try self-analysing yourself

as to why you are so 'anal' about cleanliness.

What has made you that way? :confused:

well, I would hope that others would want to not sleep on the same sheets that the last person slept on. There could have been a variety of activities that happened on the sheets, and I would like clean sheets. That's just me. Also, with Noro-virus and all that other crap, one could only hope that things are clean. Sorry if cleanliness is not at the top of your list, but it is for me.

Perhaps you might try self-analysing yourself

as to why you are so 'anal' about cleanliness.

What has made you that way? :confused:

And how much do you charge per hour for the therapy sessions?

well, I would hope that others would want to not sleep on the same sheets that the last person slept on. There could have been a variety of activities that happened on the sheets, and I would like clean sheets. That's just me. Also, with Noro-virus and all that other crap, one could only hope that things are clean. Sorry if cleanliness is not at the top of your list, but it is for me.

I cannot imagine that each and every inch of the room is not cleaned. CCL doesn't want people to pass along a virus or other "crap" and have it run rampant throughout the ship. But, I will bring along my anti-bacterial wipes just in case:o

As we were sitting in our room on the Ryndam last November, awaiting our departure, our steward came in and asked if he could start cleaning the room. We were sitting on the couch, and told him to go ahead. He immediately opened the balcony doors, to "air it out" and began remaking the bed. The only thing he changed on the bed were the sheets and pillowcases. No change of mattress pads, pillows, blanket, or coverings. To be honest, I was a bit surprised. I would think these things should and would be changed between guests. Since we were still in the room when he finished with the bed, he said he would return later and left. We left the room shortly thereafter, and did not see him again.

To each his own but.....

I bring disinfectant wipes with me in my travel bag and wipe down all contact surfaces. It takes 5-10 mins and it can't hurt, gives me alittle peice of mind and the room smells fresh when we are done.

As for the linen, I have come back after breakfast to brush my teeth and they have already started to strip the beds.

Happy healthy cruiseing everyone!!:)

I noticed our room steward wearing latex gloves to clean one room and then changing to fresh gloves to clean the next room. I really appreciate that! They were not only protecting themselves, but being careful not to spread stuff from room to room.

That said, I still take my big ol' honking can of Lysol (citrus is my favorite) and spray down every touchable surface as soon as we arrive!

When we came back from breakfast on the Splendor, our steward had changed everything on the bed even the little "covering" that is on the end of it. He also had a new shower curtain waiting to be hung. They do wash and clean everything!

To each his own but.....

I bring disinfectant wipes with me in my travel bag and wipe down all contact surfaces. It takes 5-10 mins and it can't hurt, gives me alittle peice of mind and the room smells fresh when we are done.

As for the linen, I have come back after breakfast to brush my teeth and they have already started to strip the beds.

Happy healthy cruiseing everyone!!:)

Same with me, I know it's not for everyone but it works for me. I throw a ziploc bag with Clorox Wipes and a small can of Lysol in our bag and use them during our cruise. I have always put the comforters in the closet too, it's just my preference not to use them on trips. Just wiping off the remote and phone on past cruises and seeing the cloth after was enough to convince me to always bring my wipes :) I know this seems odd to many but it's the way I have always been :)

I can't believe that you would even question if the sheets and pillow cases are changed. Of course they are!!!! Any hotel, and a cruise is a floating hotel, HAS to change the sheets between clients.

Just out of curiosity, were you on Housewives of NJ?

Also, Take me Away

Do you clean the cabin every time the cabin steward comes in the room? Keep in mind, he has just cleaned the room before you and God only knows what that room had in it.

While I certainly don't want to sleep on used sheets, a little common sense is in order here.

Lysoling the bed??? :confused: I'll take my chances with a few germs over inhaling the chemicals in the Lysol or having it absorb into my skin while I sleep. :eek: Germ exposure is what keeps your immune system healthy and our over-zealous anti-bacterial everything is leading to more and more "superbugs" that nothing can kill.

Basic cleanliness with soap and water go a long way - no need to overdo.

Curious question-- I understand about the room being cleaned could put peoples hair on ends...

but do you eat at the buffet-- realizing that 1,000 people just touched that spoon that you are using to ladle up something to eat???

do you venture into the dining room before dinner and notice the tables are set--- realizing that anyone can come in there and do only knows what to those utensils just sitting there?

Lets not even discus the plastic cups sitting out by the beverage station wondering how many people knocked them onto the floor and jsut picked them up and replaced them.?

Sorry- just figured ya'll need to worry about something-- (LOL)

While I certainly don't want to sleep on used sheets, a little common sense is in order here.

Lysoling the bed??? :confused: I'll take my chances with a few germs over inhaling the chemicals in the Lysol or having it absorb into my skin while I sleep. :eek: Germ exposure is what keeps your immune system healthy and our over-zealous anti-bacterial everything is leading to more and more "superbugs" that nothing can kill.

Basic cleanliness with soap and water go a long way - no need to overdo.

I'm with you! Our society is becoming so afraid of germs that some people allow it to rule their lives. I've also noticed many times that those that are always Lysoling everything are the ones that catch colds and flues. A little precaution is great but you'll never eradicate all the germs no matter how hard you try.

pat

I have watched the room cleaning process on all three of our recent Carnival cruises. The pillows, comforter, and the rest of the bedding is changed. The room is sanitized with a heavy duty cleaner. Vacuum, dust, tidy resupply, etc.

If any hotel chain comes anywhere near the clean of this ritual, I am unaware of it. Quite frankly, with the help in the typical hotel today, I consider clean sheets on the bed, clean towels in the bath and a pass through the middle of the room with the vacuum to be better than average.

Doc

I can't believe that you would even question if the sheets and pillow cases are changed. Of course they are!!!! Any hotel, and a cruise is a floating hotel, HAS to change the sheets between clients.

Just out of curiosity, were you on Housewives of NJ?

Also, Take me Away

Do you clean the cabin every time the cabin steward comes in the room? Keep in mind, he has just cleaned the room before you and God only knows what that room had in it.

No I don't clean every time he comes in, did I say that? I do however wipe things down and the cloths in fact are dirty on items that I am sure get overlooked. On our last cruise our cabin was anything but clean, there was a pile of toenail clippings in a corner, lots of black hairs in the bathroom and on the counters, toothpaste on the floor and on the sink and sunflower seeds all over. I am not doubting that the stewards clean however I have seen good and bad cleaning jobs in my past cruises. I am sure they change the sheets and towels however I choose to not use the comforters its just a personal decision. The stewards are so busy and I am quite sure under a lot pressure therefore things can and will get missed. I don't think my wiping is really affecting anyone :) I go through a large container of Clorox Wipes every week in my house and one in the Pediatric office I work in, we have a daily cleaner at my work who misses things all the time, I do what makes me happy and works for me and maybe base housing in the past has made me the way I am :eek:

Archived