Another On board credit problem created by Princess

dundalkspur

There is a thread below where some nice people have posted that they managed to get TODAY:mad: an exchange rate of £1= $2.

So I rang today at 5.30 pm and they quoted me a rate of $25=£17.50 or $500=£350 . The offical rate today is $1.65 .

Needless to say I was gob smacked and said why is everyone getting different rates? They said the rate was set by them in the USA and they had gone home and she could not help me till tomorrow .Another lie from Princess their offices are in FLORIDA and they start work there about 5 pm our time!:eek::confused:

Come on PRINCESS GET YOUR ACT TOGHETHER! Because you are going to loose more customers especially 2 furious ELITE members !:mad:

There is a thread below where some nice people have posted that they managed to get TODAY:mad: an exchange rate of £1= $2.

So I rang today at 5.30 pm and they quoted me a rate of $25=£17.50 or $500=£350 . The offical rate today is $1.65 .

Needless to say I was gob smacked and said why is everyone getting different rates? They said the rate was set by them in the USA and they had gone home and she could not help me till tomorrow .Another lie from Princess their offices are in FLORIDA and they start work there about 5 pm our time!:eek::confused:

Come on PRINCESS GET YOUR ACT TOGHETHER! Because you are going to loose more customers especially 2 furious ELITE members !:mad:

Actually, their main office is in California.

The people that got that exchange rate ALL said their rate was based on the date they BOOKED the cruise.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks

Just got the $2 to the pound and I found out who can get this rate. Basically the rate depends on what the exchange rate was when you booked your cruise.

The very helpful lady at Princess told me the cut -off date for getting this great rate is if you booked before 31 dec 2008 you will get the rate and if you booked after that date you won't.

Hope this info helps

To a Spurs fan from a Watford fan,

It depends on when you booked the cruise. You needed to book last year to get the 2 for 1 rate. Any cruises booked this year do not benefit from this excellent deal, unfortunately. Hope that helps to clear things up for you?

It depends on when you booked the cruise. You needed to book last year to get the 2 for 1 rate. Any cruises booked this year do not benefit from this excellent deal, unfortunately. Hope that helps to clear things up for you?[/quote

]

I asked Princess about that and she said that it had nothing to do with it as the rate is set in the USA and fluxtuates on the hour?I am only the messenger so dont shoot me -Elton John:D

]

I asked Princess about that and she said that it had nothing to do with it as the rate is set in the USA and fluxtuates on the hour?I am only the messenger so dont shoot me -Elton John:D

I wouldn't dream of shooting a Spurs fan (my best friend and Dad are both avid supporters), even though you know you are inferior to the hornets!

Anyway, back to the topic :D What Princess have told you may or may not be true, but seems to be against what has been said by a lot of posters on these boards. (we know that you don't always seem to get correct info from Princess themselves!!)

Let me know how you get on, though, as if you do get this deal, I would also be going for it!!

BTW - When exactly did you book?

It depends on when you booked the cruise. You needed to book last year to get the 2 for 1 rate. Any cruises booked this year do not benefit from this excellent deal, unfortunately. Hope that helps to clear things up for you?

Hi

I booked last year and got the 1.65 rate too, so it can not go on time of booking. Sorry just seen other post, I booked November if that helps.

Christine

I'm the one who got $2 to £1 and I rang 08453555800 option 5 option 2

I've managed to get this rate for two different lots traveling and was told this afternoon it related to the exchange rate at the time you booked. The exchange rate had started to drop in November so maybe thats why but try and see if you can get a better rate.

Am going to France in August--called my local bank in Shreveport today. Euros were quoted at 1.52 us per Euro and pounds at 1.77 No exchange fees. Thanks I'll change money beofre I leave

Sam

As Welshdragon said, it seems to be the time you booked. Spring/summer last year the rate was $2/£1. If you booked around that time that is the rate they offer you. You can understand why.

When you booked your cruise. If it was JulyAugust time last year you would get 2 for 1. Any later and the exchange rate started to drop - so does your OBC rate. Hope this helps.

Sometimes those customer service staff at Princess don't really understand what you're asking for. A friend of mine had to ask a few times to get what he wants - luckily he got the 2 for one - travels next week on Ruby - but booked early August last year.

Good luck with your efforts - but it will depend on when you booked your cruise - and you can buy the credits up until about a week before you sail. This has been extensively documented by DMcKay and Karjoe, who first started the thread and reported back - just search the boards.

Glenda

Euros were quoted at 1.52 us per Euro and pounds at 1.77 No exchange fees. Thanks I'll change money beofre I leave

They do not need to have an exchange fee as they are ripping you off on the conversion rate. Euro today is about 1.43, pound is about $1.67

They do not need to have an exchange fee as they are ripping you off on the conversion rate. Euro today is about 1.43, pound is about $1.67

Current official rate:

GBP 1.648

Euro 1.420

Sam's paying @ 7% exchange rate. He said he's not paying a fee, but banks don't normally charge account holders an exchange fee. I know mine doesn't, or I'd transfer accounts in a NY minute.

I dunno if 7% is excessive, but I'll find out next week. I'll certainly need a pocket full of Pound sterling to start out a precruise week in London. Twelve more days and a wakeup!:D

So far, I've prepaid with a credit card for a number of items, apartment included. The rate has always been exactly the current official rate, with the ever present 3% CC fee added on. Not bad.

According to posts on the Britain board the best exchange rates in UK are at the post office followed by Marks & Spencer (M&S) then Thomas Exchange Global.

Current official rate:

GBP 1.648

Euro 1.420

I'll certainly need a pocket full of Pound sterling to start out a precruise week in London.

According to posts on the Britain board the best exchange rates in UK are at the post office followed by Marks & Spencer (M&S) then Thomas Exchange Global.

So far, I've prepaid with a credit card for a number of items, apartment included. The rate has always been exactly the current official rate, with the ever present 3% CC fee added on.

Best exchange rate will be using a debit card at at ATM. This is true in Britain and elsewhere. Many financial instituitions will not put a surcharge on the transaction although many also do.

If you get a CapitalOne credit card, you will not see the "ever present 3% fee added on" to your overseas charges.

Best exchange rate will be using a debit card at at ATM. This is true in Britain and elsewhere. Many financial instituitions will not put a surcharge on the transaction although many also do.

If you get a CapitalOne credit card, you will not see the "ever present 3% fee added on" to your overseas charges.

The phrase you quote was made in context with my credit card charges. I clearly was not speaking for all CCs.

I am a newbie here, but after reading through these threads thought I would phone princess and see if I could get the $2 for £1 that people have been talking about, and I did! So thanks for that, it has saved me a fair amount of money. Just a ? Can this pre paid credit be used for the auto tip or not? I have read conflicting posts so far. Thanks.

BTW, travelling on the Ruby Princess in 2 weeks time...:D

Cruiserbabes

the auto tip comes straight from your onboard account so yes this will pay for the tips - until you run out of cash that is. They will deduct the daily amount each night at around three in the morning.

Thankyou...:)

It has saved me a great deal of money on the auto tips too, if I had gone with the current exchange rate it would have worked out to around £312 but will now only work out to £252 in total.

I am a newbie here, but after reading through these threads thought I would phone princess and see if I could get the $2 for £1 that people have been talking about, and I did! So thanks for that, it has saved me a fair amount of money. Just a ? Can this pre paid credit be used for the auto tip or not? I have read conflicting posts so far. Thanks.

BTW, travelling on the Ruby Princess in 2 weeks time...:D

Hi cruiserbabes,

Sounds like you and I are on the same cruise - 8th August, Rome - Venice? If so, please feel welcome to join our roll call - link below

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=810059&page=20

Also, please can you advise when you booked your cruise? I would definitely be interested in the $2 for £1, but as I only booked in May this year, didn't think I would qualify

Hi cruiserbabes,

Sounds like you and I are on the same cruise - 8th August, Rome - Venice? If so, please feel welcome to join our roll call - link below

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=810059&page=20

Also, please can you advise when you booked your cruise? I would definitely be interested in the $2 for £1, but as I only booked in May this year, didn't think I would qualify

Yep thats the one ;)

Will look the roll call up, I think I saw it earlier on this week but I seem to lose it...

We booked last sep/oct time, but its worth ringing up to see if you can get it. Will make a huge difference in on board costs.

Will head over to the roll call now, thanks.:D

Archived