Juneau -- six ships in at once -- does it matter

papadave

I checked to see how many ships would be in various ports at once for my upcoming cruise. I saw that six ships will be in Juneau at once. Does this have any impact? Are certain excursions booked up? Are some places too crowded to be enjoyable?

like the other person said. I recall that the Pearl had to wait for another NCL ship to leave the dock so we could dock. They probably had like 6-3 and we had 3:30-9 or something like that. I don't know if Juneau can really handle more than 4 big ships.

Even though there may be many ships, also check what time they are coming in and going. for example, I am on the Westerdam, and on August 14 we will be in Ketchikan, there are a total of 5 ships expected that day, 3 are arriving by 7:00am including us, 2 are arriving at 2:00 or later which is already after we leave at 1:00, therefore there will only be 3 ships in port. I am also very excited because we will be the only ship in Sitka on August 13:p

I checked to see how many ships would be in various ports at once for my upcoming cruise. I saw that six ships will be in Juneau at once. Does this have any impact? Are certain excursions booked up? Are some places too crowded to be enjoyable?

The answer for me is YES! We just returned from a B2B from 7/4/09 to 7/19/09 and it was quite evident that the towns were crowded.

I realized before we left that there were several ships in each port and decided that the excursions we were doing would be out among the scenery and wildlife. It was amazing!

We did spend a very short time shopping and were only to happy to make it back to the ship. Even in the shops they said that the amount of people in town every day was getting out of hand. The sales people were extremely nice but I'm sure they were very tired by the time the day was over.

Our trip was a trip of a lifetime but do your homework and try to get out to see the true beauty of Alaska!

Archived