Stock OBC vs. Balcony credit

I just booked the Explorer for 2011. They offered me a C&A discount of $200 on the balcony booking. However, that means that I cannot use the stock OBC, which is also $200. I'm wondering if that was the right choice. Our 2010 cruise (no discounts) just had a price drop from $1799 to $1493 which is great. But if the same price drop happened for 2011, what would happen to my balcony discount? For 2011 I am paying $1699 instead of $1799, so if balconies dropped again to $1493, do you think I would just get the $1493? If so, I would effectively lose the $200 balcony discount and not be eligible for the $200 stock OBC.

Has anyone had experience with this? Are there any rumors about the status of the stock OBC?

Whatever balcony discount you are entitled to stays in place, even if the price drops. Just be sure you call whoever you booked the cruise with and request the price drop when you see one. Price drops will not be applied to your booking automatically.

I just booked the Explorer for 2011. They offered me a C&A discount of $200 on the balcony booking. However, that means that I cannot use the stock OBC, which is also $200. I'm wondering if that was the right choice. Our 2010 cruise (no discounts) just had a price drop from $1799 to $1493 which is great. But if the same price drop happened for 2011, what would happen to my balcony discount? For 2011 I am paying $1699 instead of $1799, so if balconies dropped again to $1493, do you think I would just get the $1493? If so, I would effectively lose the $200 balcony discount and not be eligible for the $200 stock OBC.

Has anyone had experience with this? Are there any rumors about the status of the stock OBC?

You receive $200 off your cruisefare, regardless of how low that fare goes. If your cruisefare goes down to $400 (HA!), you will only pay $200 after your balcony discount.

It doesn't diminish.

You get the balcony discount upon booking. If your cabin is further reduced you will always get the lower price...........it does not affect your balcony discount at all.

If you notice that your cabin category has a price reduction, you will have to request it either through your TA or RCI depending on who you booked with. They don't automatically lower the price unless you ask.

Unfortunately you can only have one benefit...........so you would have to chose either the balcony discount or the stockholder OBC. In other words, do you want a lower cruisefare or money to spend while on the cruise.

Thanks for the quick answers. They were what I wanted to hear. I booked through RCL and just got the Feb 2010 price reduction today - there was no problem. This also prompted me to book for 2011. I think I prefer the reduced cruise fare just in case they decide to change the stock OBC rules in the next 1 1/2 years. I just want the $200 to be applied somewhere.

Thanks for the quick answers. They were what I wanted to hear. I booked through RCL and just got the Feb 2010 price reduction today - there was no problem. This also prompted me to book for 2011. I think I prefer the reduced cruise fare just in case they decide to change the stock OBC rules in the next 1 1/2 years. I just want the $200 to be applied somewhere.

For the record, I booked an inside cabin on a future cruise while on board just to get the OBC (this was when you could combine them). Later, I changed to a balcony cabin and got the Platinum discount without a problem.

On my last booking while on board before the new policy went into effect, we would be Diamond at the completion of that cruise. So I booked a balcony cabin I liked but did not ask for the balcony discount waiting for my new status to go through. It did and my TA got it.

So, I feel if you book planning to use the stockholder's benefit and it goes bye-bye like a lot of other perks, you could still fall back on the balcony discount.

The OP put it very nicely, do you want a cheaper fare or money to spend on the ship.

I keep hoping RCL will back off on the combinability of benefits and allow the balcony discount and one other. Not holding my breath though.

Tucker in Texas

I keep hoping RCL will back off on the combinability of benefits and allow the balcony discount and one other. Not holding my breath though.

Tucker in Texas

Not gonna happen. They might get rid of the stockholder OBC - but they will not permit it to be combined with other benefits again.

I can't keep up with the combines and non-combines................can you combine a C&A balcony credit with a Next Cruise obc? Thanks so much RCCL credit gurus!!! :D

No.

Here is a list of "benefits":

OBC from booking a cruise while on a cruise

OBC from purchasing a NextCruise Certificate

Platinum/Diamond balcony discount

C&A discount coupons, published quarterly

"Thank you" coupon from RC

"WOW" sale OBC

Shareholder OBC

You may use only ONE of these on a cruise.

ONE

None of these can be combined with others on the list.

JUST ONE.

It stinks, I know. REALLY stinks.

138:

I have never seen the cruise line's fare come CLOSE to what I get with my online TA. I have been pricing cruises pretty religiously for many years now, am I'm sure their price would blow the "balcony discount" away, and you could still use your stock OBC. I am not soliciting here... but just wanting you to be aware of all your options....

138:

I have never seen the cruise line's fare come CLOSE to what I get with my online TA. I have been pricing cruises pretty religiously for many years now, am I'm sure their price would blow the "balcony discount" away, and you could still use your stock OBC. I am not soliciting here... but just wanting you to be aware of all your options....

I´m not sure what you are saying here, but whatever low price you get from your TA you can still get the balcony discount deducted from that price. THe balcony discount has nothing to do with the pricing of the cruise in first place. You get your quote for your cruise / cabin and the discount goes off of that, regardless where you started.

Our understanding is RCCL sets the price and does not allow the Travel Agents to discount cruises.

That´s correct, TA´s have to sell cruises at the same price as listed on the RCCL website. However you can still shop around and find way cheaper offers. I don´t know how it´s allowed and what ways around some TA´s find, but even after the no discount policy went into effect I still get about the same discounts as before.

That´s correct, TA´s have to sell cruises at the same price as listed on the RCCL website. However you can still shop around and find way cheaper offers. I don´t know how it´s allowed and what ways around some TA´s find, but even after the no discount policy went into effect I still get about the same discounts as before.
While they indeed sell the cruise itself at the same price, travel agents get a sizeable commission from which they can "kick back" some or much of that commission to effectively "discount" your cruise. That can come in the form of a cruise discount and/or an onboard credit. That's why I always use a good travel agent.

While they indeed sell the cruise itself at the same price, travel agents get a sizeable commission from which they can "kick back" some or much of that commission to effectively "discount" your cruise. That can come in the form of a cruise discount and/or an onboard credit. That's why I always use a good travel agent.

I do understand it´s coming from their commision, however with RCI they are officially not allowed to discount your cruise fare. They are allowed to give perks but not to discount your cruise. However it still happens;)

No.

Here is a list of "benefits":

OBC from booking a cruise while on a cruise

OBC from purchasing a NextCruise Certificate

Platinum/Diamond balcony discount

C&A discount coupons, published quarterly

"Thank you" coupon from RC

"WOW" sale OBC

Shareholder OBC

You may use only ONE of these on a cruise.

ONE

None of these can be combined with others on the list.

JUST ONE.

It stinks, I know. REALLY stinks.

Thanks for the list! It really helps. I can start out with one of the above, then switch to another discount if it's higher. That I know, because I've done it before. I'm thinking of booking another cruise onboard our next cruise, so I wanted to know if I could get a balcony discount and the nextcruise discount, too. I'm happy with I can get; just wanted to know how it works. Thanks again.

We just came off the LOS-they announce that if you book on board; you can get up to $300 credit and the deposit is only $100.

Well-diamond gets $200 off each balcony booked and the deposit is $100/per person; however, it is better than the $250 off board.

You can't combine the discounts! We did book and took off the $200 and will look for a price drop through the year.

However; we would of received the OBC if we booked an inside cabin-

the Prominades on the Oasis were more than the balconies.

Not gonna happen. They might get rid of the stockholder OBC - but they will not permit it to be combined with other benefits again.
And you have a crystal ball? Princess/Carnival did not let you combine for years and one day Voilà! you now can combine. Who knows what will happen when they hire a new bean counter.

And you have a crystal ball? Princess/Carnival did not let you combine for years and one day Voilà! you now can combine. Who knows what will happen when they hire a new bean counter.

I like the way you think, jtutak.

From your lips to God's ears. :rolleyes:

We just came off the LOS-they announce that if you book on board; you can get up to $300 credit and the deposit is only $100.

Well-diamond gets $200 off each balcony booked and the deposit is $100/per person; however, it is better than the $250 off board.

You can't combine the discounts! We did book and took off the $200 and will look for a price drop through the year.

However; we would of received the OBC if we booked an inside cabin-

the Prominades on the Oasis were more than the balconies.

The $300 OBC is for cruises of 14+ nights or longer. The Diamond balcony discount for 10+ nights is also $300. So, to me that's a wash. Guess you have to ask yourself, do you want to save on your cruise fare or do you want money to spend while on board?

Archived