Crown & Anchor Society Advice

We have cruised on other lines but not RC and are looking at booking a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on the Navigator of the Seas when our daughter graduates from medical school in the Spring of 2011. As it is our first cruise on the line would it make sense for us to take a short 4-5 day cruise next year to get some additional perks by becoming a club member? We already have a cruise scheduled for 2010 but could swing a short deal cruise if there was an upside for the expensive 12 day trip the next year- I'd appreciate some insights from club members as to whether this is a good strategy or not.

The key is to get to five, ten or 24 cruises. One cruise will get you a coupon book with limited value and maybe an invitation to a past guest party if they still have them. Not worth spending $$$ to take a short cruise, IMHO.

Thanks- that is what I figured- on some of the lines we have gotten an almost immediate upgrade (NCL after one cruise) so with some great deals out there we were looking at them with killing two fish with one stone and figured some RC vets could answer the question.

Each cruise you do on an RCI ship earns you 1 cruise credit in the Crown & Anchor Society. If you stay in a Junior Suite cabin or higher category you will earn another cruise credit and if you do a 12+ night cruise/cruisetour you will also earn an additional cruise credit. So the max on any cruise is 3 cruise credits.

You will become a Gold Member after your first cruise.

You will become a Platinum Member after you have earned 5 cruise credits.

You will become a Diamond Member after you have earned 10 cruise credits.

You will become Diamond Plus after you have earned 24 cruise credits.

So, as you can see, it is very easy to climb the ladder by the type of cruise you book and the cabin category.

Look at the perks for each level of membership on RCL's site and see if they appeal to you. I don't think the gold level is worth buying as you suggest by going a cruise specifically for this purpose however it does get you started up the ladder.

the only benefit I see is the $200 balcony discount when you are platinum or better. Until you are platinum I don't think they gave us anything except those coupon books which you have to spend $ to get anything and most of them are stuff we don't buy anyway. The Captains Club party with the watered down drinks you get invited to after the 1st voyage.

A short getaway is always worth it;). However don´t do it for any perks on your med. cruise as it won´t make much different. You´d have to move to at least Platinum (5 completed cruise credits) to get something like the balcony discount.

There´s no upgrades for being C&A member on RCI until you reach Diamond plus level and even then it´s not guaranteed.

We have cruised on other lines but not RC and are looking at booking a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on the Navigator of the Seas when our daughter graduates from medical school in the Spring of 2011. As it is our first cruise on the line would it make sense for us to take a short 4-5 day cruise next year to get some additional perks by becoming a club member? We already have a cruise scheduled for 2010 but could swing a short deal cruise if there was an upside for the expensive 12 day trip the next year- I'd appreciate some insights from club members as to whether this is a good strategy or not.

Other than the fun of a cruise, you will not benefit remotely close to the cost of the short cruise. It also is nice to attend the C&A party while on board which to my understanding you would not be able to attend if the 2011 cruise is your first.

The real benefits are after 10 cruises with RCL.

the only benefit I see is the $200 balcony discount when you are platinum or better. Until you are platinum I don't think they gave us anything except those coupon books which you have to spend $ to get anything and most of them are stuff we don't buy anyway. The Captains Club party with the watered down drinks you get invited to after the 1st voyage.

It's $100 balcony discount for a platinum member on a 7 day

If you were to book the second cruise while on board you could get OBC on the second cruise. You could either purchase a non-specific next cruise booking in one person's name for $100 and receive two certificates for friends and family (to be used on the same cruise and booked within a certain period of time of converting the next cruise to a specific cruise). Each cabin would receive OBC which varies according to the length of cruise purchased but for 12 nights would be $200. The full deposit per person is payable when the cruise is converted. Providing you retain the booking # the cruise date etc can be changed without loss of benefits.

Or, you could book a specific cruise on board at, I believe, (someone will correct me if I am wrong I am sure) $100 per person and you will receive the OBC. The reduced deposit is fairly new and I have not done this but I believe you don't have to pay any more until final payment is due.

People who travel regularly and in balcony cabins do not benefit from booking on board anymore, as benefits cannot be combined, but booking on board does still have a place for new cruisers and non-balcony platinum and diamond members.

Unless you can get a really good deal, (and of course you would get to enjoy the short cruise!), still not sure it would be worth it but it is something to keep in mind.

Other than the fun of a cruise, you will not benefit remotely close to the cost of the short cruise. It also is nice to attend the C&A party while on board which to my understanding you would not be able to attend if the 2011 cruise is your first.

The real benefits are after 10 cruises with RCL.

It's 10 cruise credits which can be earned with less than 10 cruises.

Dumb question but........

Can you earn cruise credits by using the Royal Caribbean Platinum credit card? I thought I heard about someone going on one cruise and going from gold to platinum because they used their visa card quite a bit.

Although I think the answer is no, just had to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Dumb question but........

Can you earn cruise credits by using the Royal Caribbean Platinum credit card? I thought I heard about someone going on one cruise and going from gold to platinum because they used their visa card quite a bit.

Although I think the answer is no, just had to ask.

Thanks in advance.

You can use your credits to book a new cruise. That's the only way I can think to get to a new level.

No, it is not worth it to book a short cruise just to attain C&A status. As stated, Gold C&A doesn't really offer you much ~ certainly not enough to justify the cost of a short cruise. It's worth booking only if you want a short getaway.

Archived