Taormina Sicily

stubbornoldowl

We plan to take the ship's excursion (RC) - Taormina on our own. We understand that there is an incline for walking from the bus to the main area. We would certainly want to see the Roman theatre - wondering how far and how difficult it is to walk to the Roman theatre? Thanks.

Was in Taormina in Sept. There is an incline from the bus area up to the town, but I didn't notice it to be particularly difficult. i was with my 80 year old mother and we did just fine. On the way, there is an very scenic overlook and we stopped to take pictures. There are a number of nice things to see. There is also a walk up to the Roman theatre. Again, we took it slow and my Mom was fine. The gardens are also very pretty with wonderful sea views. There are some outdoor areas where you can get a cappucino and sit and relax for awhile. My advice is to just take it slowly and stop when you need to. That is the benefit of not doing a guided tour.

Hello, could you tell me if its possible to see Taormina without doing the tour through the cruise line? After the ship docks in Sicily how do you advise getting to Taormina? Did you take a tour or did you get there on your own? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Hello, could you tell me if its possible to see Taormina without doing the tour through the cruise line? After the ship docks in Sicily how do you advise getting to Taormina? Did you take a tour or did you get there on your own? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Certainly, but the cost will depend on what port in Sicily your ship will be visiting. In June, on Oceania's Nautica, we tendered into Giardini Naxos, which is a 15-minute taxi ride from Taormina, and, sharing with others, it cost us about six Euros each going to Taormina and coming back from there.

Once there, there definitely is no need for a tour. The major sight is the Greco-Roman Theatre, a 10-minute walk up the hill from where the taxi will drop you, and some other Roman ruins scattered through town, which primarily is simply a beautiful place to wander around with great views. Be sure to walk down to the gardens started by an ex-mistress of Victoria's playboy son Edward.

Enjoy your trip!

where are the gardens located in relation to the theatre? we are taking a ship's tour but want to see the gardens during the free time period...if possible Thanks

They are located about a 15-minute walk downhill from the theatre. Fortunately, we did not have to climb back up the whole way because we proceeded back to the main street at a much lower point, working our way from the eastern higher side of town (where the theatre is located) to the lower western side of town. There are taxi stands at both sides of town, which has a lot of pedestrian-only streets.

You can negotiate with a taxi, cost probably 50 Euro or less each way, but not too bad if your have several people to share the cost.

Do you mean from Messina? From Giardini Naxos, the taxi cost is around 24 Euros.

On Planetware I found a good map and walking tour of Taormina - seems to go from bus area on Pirandello up tp main street, Greco Theatre, to Porto Catania area down to gardens and to Belvedere (lookout) and back to bus area. Looks good and gives good description of sights. But wondering how long we might expect it take to cover that area (of course I realize it depends how long we linger at various sights) - looking for a general time frame though as a walk if anyone knows or can estimate. Thanks.

Archived