Departure Time out of Vancouver

charliem

I would definitely not count on an 11:40 flight.. with customs onboard to go through (no guarantee how long that will be), getting luggage, cab and then it being a "business day" there will be downtown traffic etc.. Then you have customs again at the airport with security... see if you can schedule after 1:00.. Did you check with your TA or RCI to see what recommended earliest time is for flights from Vancouver? They generally post guidelines but I have found security to be much tighter in Canada recently and lines can be unpredictably long.

i strongly agree with host caroline. this time is very risky. yvr is known for its long lines to check in, go through security, pay the airport fee lines and getting to your gate. i would not try to get a flight out untill after 1 or 2pm if it was me. there is no guerentee that you will get off the ship early at embarkation either.

Vancouver's airport is strange. If you can participate in the cruise line/airport partnership program which lets you check in at the ship for your airline you will be fine. Unfortunatley - you may not know until you are on the ship if you can do this.

Otherwise, the Vancouver airport can have very long lines and if this is the case - I would not book something before 1 pm (2 pm to be safe). The above people gave you great advice.

Thankfully you will avoid the Saturday/Sunday crowds.

We looked at an 11:40am departure from Vancouver to Houston but decided against.

We are going to take a leisurely pace and spend an extra day in Vancouver.

If it is Houston that you are flying to (same 11:40 time), you could take a chance and book that flight, if you miss it, you can connect through Seattle the same day.

Our travel agent said we could ask to be one of the first people off the ship, but that there is no guarantee that we would make it or not.

We thought it would be too much uncertainty for the senior citizens we are travelling with to do it that way.

Yikes! I posted this question a month or so ago asking about a noon flight out of Vancouver, and all my responses were that I should be OK with that. I will be flying to Ohio, and there wasn't much choice of leaving later than that. I booked through NWA for $434 pp, which was a good price compared to all the other airlines I called. My cruise is not until September 14, which is the last one for Carnival for the season. I also was planning on checking in with the Purser's desk to advise them I have a noon flight. What do you all think?

We had a noon flight out of Vancouver in July and had no problems making that. Just make sure guest services on the ship know you need to me one of the first off the ship and you should be fine. If you use a passport, that will speed up your time at the airport by a lot!! If this is your first trip to Alaska be prepared for an awesome time!! Tammy

• 4 weeks later...

Debating between a 12 noon flight out of Vancouver after our Summit southbound cruise and staying the night and flying out early the next day. Which do you think is a better idea? The ship comes in on a Friday - so if we wait we'd be heading out on Saturday - if our flight leaves before noon I'm guessing we should be ahead of the crowds and have an easier time at the airport - what do you think?

Famcruisefun......we are also taking a Summit south bound cruise this August and are spending Friday and Saturday in Vancouver and flying out Sunday morning at 8:30. Vancouver is supposed to be a very nice city so if possible I would spend at least Friday night there than no worry about making it to your flight on time.

Archived