Review - Mariner 7/22 Seward-Vancouver

Here is a link to another Regent thread (in case you haven't read it). I thought you would find it interesting (particularly beginning with post #32):) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1035011&page=2

Interesting.

I think our cruise had about 111-120 kids, 80 of whom qualified for Club Mariner (ages 5-12). I didn't see a lot of babies, so the balance must have been teens.

Though I don't think a lesser amount of children would have made a difference in the food :)

Interesting.

I think our cruise had about 111-120 kids, 80 of whom qualified for Club Mariner (ages 5-12). I didn't see a lot of babies, so the balance must have been teens.

Though I don't think a lesser amount of children would have made a difference in the food :)

From recent reports (all from the Mariner), it isn't the amount of children on board -- it is the fact that the Mariner claims to hold 700 passengers. This summer they have reported put up to 800 passengers on the ship. The staff is the same -- it is no wonder they are so stressed out!

In terms of food. . . we'll be on the Voyager in 32 days (but whose counting:-). . . and will be taking the Le Cordon Bleu cooking class. I hope to meet as much of the cooking staff as possible and see if I can get any input regarding food quality.

From recent reports (all from the Mariner), it isn't the amount of children on board -- it is the fact that the Mariner claims to hold 700 passengers. This summer they have reported put up to 800 passengers on the ship. The staff is the same -- it is no wonder they are so stressed out!

In terms of food. . . we'll be on the Voyager in 32 days (but whose counting:-). . . and will be taking the Le Cordon Bleu cooking class. I hope to meet as much of the cooking staff as possible and see if I can get any input regarding food quality.

But Signatures is a LCB restaurant, and it was fabulous. I'd be curious to hear why it differs in the other non-exclusive dining venues.

Novice, my condolences on the rough seas! We debarked on the 22nd, and I knew the next cruise was in for it!! I feel fortunate that I didn't have to deal with the excursion desk since it sounds like their customer relations skills are very weak. Even accounting for differences in personal tastes, I'm surprised at the "tasteless" food you received in Compass Rose. Once you mentioned it I do recall some hard rolls at either CR or LV, but I figured that meant I'd just eat less of them! I ordered veggie lasagna at LV the last night, and if anything it was too rich! We never had any seating issues, but we were a group of 8. The one night hubby and I ate alone in CR we had no problem getting a table by the window. We did tend to eat very early though (6:30ish), so perhaps that made a difference. Had I encountered the same treatment from the various Regent staff members, or excursion staff, I'd be pissed too! As regards the constant paint touch up......I remember our group being impressed with how well they maintained the ship, and someone commenting "Geez, they sure keep on top of things don't they!" Of course, I only remember seeing the paint touch up through a window, don't remember having to walk past it or smell it. I'm glad to hear that Regent monitors this forum, for better or worse!

One or two posts above mentioned "hard rolls".

In our bread basket there were always a couple of small torpedo like crusty rolls. They were baked with salt crystals and I loved them. There was also cut french bread (baguette) and some brown bread, but I always sought out those salt rolls. Bad for me, I know, but so enjoyable.

In our bread basket there were always a couple of small torpedo like crusty rolls. They were baked with salt crystals and I loved them. There was also cut french bread (baguette) and some brown bread, but I always sought out those salt rolls. Bad for me, I know, but so enjoyable.

I love those hard salty crescent shaped rolls too. In fact, they are addictive! I want one right now.

Torpedo! Perfect description. :)

I think these were the same ones. We had the others you desrcibe too - cut baguette, brown bread.

LOL - maybe we were targeted, but our hard rolls were always impenetrable ;)

NoviceCruiser3, you asked how do you do that? Well, the Mariner has 59 cabins furnished with convirtible sofas. Put two kids in each convirtible and you have 118 kids. It is very unlikely Regent will ever hit the number 118 because lots of parents and grandparents will travel with only one kid. But it is a possibility. It is very hard to ascertain these numbers from the Regent web site. The web site says the Mariner carries "700 guests." And that's the number Regent uses to calculate the highly favorable staff-passenger and space-passenger ratios they advertize heavily. But if you look at the Regent deck plans you'll see conviertible sofa cabins are identified by a dot. You then have to count the dots: 59 for Mariner, 49 for Voyager, 35 for Navigator. Now Regent states those dots represent cabins that are third passenger capable, NOT 4. You then have to look at the terms and conditions that apply to the kids sail free program. There they refer to a third and fourth birth. It's all there but you really have to dig for it. And then there is the mention on the boards this summer of rollaway beds. Bottom line: Regent will overload Mariners as much as it takes to sell all cabins. And next summer, it appears the overloads will be the norm on all three Regent ships, particularly if this program is promoted heavily in Europe where Voyager and Mariner will be sailing. Pat

Novice, my condolences on the rough seas! We debarked on the 22nd, and I knew the next cruise was in for it!! I feel fortunate that I didn't have to deal with the excursion desk since it sounds like their customer relations skills are very weak. Even accounting for differences in personal tastes, I'm surprised at the "tasteless" food you received in Compass Rose. Once you mentioned it I do recall some hard rolls at either CR or LV, but I figured that meant I'd just eat less of them! I ordered veggie lasagna at LV the last night, and if anything it was too rich! We never had any seating issues, but we were a group of 8. The one night hubby and I ate alone in CR we had no problem getting a table by the window. We did tend to eat very early though (6:30ish), so perhaps that made a difference. Had I encountered the same treatment from the various Regent staff members, or excursion staff, I'd be pissed too! As regards the constant paint touch up......I remember our group being impressed with how well they maintained the ship, and someone commenting "Geez, they sure keep on top of things don't they!" Of course, I only remember seeing the paint touch up through a window, don't remember having to walk past it or smell it. I'm glad to hear that Regent monitors this forum, for better or worse!

Thanks, LSB, I was just sooooo sick. Really grateful the patch worked for me. SOOOOO wish I had put it on before :(

The recurring hard rolls just became a running joke for us. In fact, when we were in Granville Island market in Vancouver post cruise, we were eating croissants & hubby said "wow, just like on Regent" (which, of course, it wasn't) and we all cracked up.

Your window story reminds me of yet another - on disembarkation day, we were sitting in our suite, had the balcony door cracked a bit for air. We closed it, and immediately appeared on our balcony a staff member with a power hose, who hosed down the balcony and the door. I honestly don't believe he checked to see if it were open, and we were clearly there, but he didn't care.

Actually I am pretty sure they only allow one extra person in the regular suites with convertible sofas. The fourth person is only in the larger suites. At least, this is the way it was when my boys were still in the kids sail free age group.

So, they didn't sail free. We got them their own room next to ours because the cost of that vs getting the larger suite with the sail free promo was about the same, and we were happy to have an extra room.

Maria (cruiseluv), all of next year summer sailings on Regent are kids cruise (almost) free. Regent is willing to put two kids in all the cabins with convirtibles in order to sell out the ship. We simply won't book Regent under these circumstances. Silversea and Seabourn never looked so good! Pat

hi Pat,

Thank you for your comments.

When I booked I did see that it was a kids sail almost free but never in my wildest dreams I thought they would pack as many as 150 kids in!!(I just read this in another thread). I am now seriously considering what to do about this cruise. We have the problem that we have to cruise in the summer because our daughter is still in HS (she doesn't come on the cruise, stays with grandparents). I just got a nice brochure from Seabourn and might seriously consider them instead.

hi Pat,

Thank you for your comments.

When I booked I did see that it was a kids sail almost free but never in my wildest dreams I thought they would pack as many as 150 kids in!!(I just read this in another thread). I am now seriously considering what to do about this cruise. We have the problem that we have to cruise in the summer because our daughter is still in HS (she doesn't come on the cruise, stays with grandparents). I just got a nice brochure from Seabourn and might seriously consider them instead.

150 kids?:eek: Run Forest run.

RachelG you are certainly right that they didn't used to put more than one additional person in a standard cabin. And usually the third person didn't represent an overload because of the singles on board. And the third person didn't sail free. But there has been enough mention of two kids to a cabin this summer to prompt me to think they are allowing two now. Don't know how they could get to 800 passengers on one sailing in June otherwise. But I hope I am flat wrong. I think the larger cabins get the rollaway beds. Pat

RachelG you are certainly right that they didn't used to put more than one additional person in a standard cabin. And usually the third person didn't represent an overload because of the singles on board. And the third person didn't sail free. But there has been enough mention of two kids to a cabin this summer to prompt me to think they are allowing two now. Don't know how they could get to 800 passengers on one sailing in June otherwise. But I hope I am flat wrong. I think the larger cabins get the rollaway beds. Pat

We had a Penthouse suite and had a rollway bed, though I couldn't imagine 2 . . .

Thanks, LSB, I was just sooooo sick. Really grateful the patch worked for me. SOOOOO wish I had put it on before :(

The recurring hard rolls just became a running joke for us. In fact, when we were in Granville Island market in Vancouver post cruise, we were eating croissants & hubby said "wow, just like on Regent" (which, of course, it wasn't) and we all cracked up.

Your window story reminds me of yet another - on disembarkation day, we were sitting in our suite, had the balcony door cracked a bit for air. We closed it, and immediately appeared on our balcony a staff member with a power hose, who hosed down the balcony and the door. I honestly don't believe he checked to see if it were open, and we were clearly there, but he didn't care.

Novice, I'm glad you still had a sense of humor after the cruise! I don't usually get seasick, but that last night really tested me! I was so glad it came at the end of our cruise! When the Mariner first docked at Canada Place on the 15th, we walked over to check it out. We were amazed at how quickly the cleaning staff went about their business. Apparently, they were a little too quick at the end of your cruise. I remember watching as one cleaning guy lowered the hose from one balcony down to another. Can't imagine they wouldn't check to make sure the cabin was empty. Guess you overstayed your welcome!;)

I remember being on the Voyager dressed and ready to go ashore and all of a sudden I was drenched with the balcony hose coming down from the top. Not a mention of this cleaning in Passages or a note in our suite regarding this. This was not a debarkation day.:confused:

On another line that we frequent, they put the notice in their publication and also your stewardess or butler will leave you a reminder about the cleaning and to keep your drapes closed during the cleaning process. What a great idea....ya think.

This happened to me also, no notification though. Went to the back of the ship and didn't get drenched, but sprinkled on. Remember the workers saying "hey, hey, hey". Acted like I was in their way. This was not on Regent but another luxury line so ... it happens. Nothing is perfect!!

NoviceCruiser, so sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. We were on the same cruise and had a lovely time... This was our first Regent Cruise and first on a luxury line.

My main issue was on arrival day - there was very little "welcome" at the cruise terminal at Seward: it was a cold, drafty shed. We should have been on the regular train from Anchorage (not the Regent chartered train) and were effected by it's cancellation. We got to the cruise terminal at about the same time that the train would have, but were told that embarkation was delayed by late disembarking passengers (because of the train cancellations). We were told that it would be about 2.5 hours before we could board and suggested that we should go into town to wait - that didn't appeal since it was bucketing down with rain! So we sat in the cold terminal and watched DVDs... only to be told that we could board about half an hour later (which was good!). I was just surprised that there was no "hospitality" for arriving passengers: other cruiselines (mainstream) put out tea/coffee/water/cookies etc - after a 3.5 coach ride, and arriving in the cold and rain, that would have been really appreciated... There were vending machines, but that seemed a little cheap... However, once we boarded the ship (and we were one of the first - great feeling!) it was a VERY different matter: we were completely looked after.

We didn't see a lot of people AT ALL until about the evening of Day 5 of the cruise - am not sure where they all were hiding until then! Didn't see many kids and they were all well behaved. They did sort of "take over" the pool (dive bombing etc) on the afternoon of the last day which made me think whether it would be much fun to be on a ship with only one pool on a warmer itinerary... Was very impressed about the feeling of space and lack of crowds. The only crowds we encountered were at the Pool Grill a couple of times (too much in a small, narrow area), disembarking one day (Ketchikan I think) and disembarking on the final day.

The only rough time on the cruise was the first night and it wasn't that bad really. Husband did say that he noticed "more movement" on the ship because it was smaller (than the 110k plus tonne ships that we normally cruise). It was fine, though - quite nice to be rocked to sleep :)

We didn't have a problem with any food in LV or Compass Rose (although, through pregnancy, my tastebuds are a little skew and I chose ice cream for dessert just about every night). We enjoyed Signatures and Prime7, although thought that the service was actually better in CR (the drinks waiters in Signatures were particularly bad - my water was never topped up, despite me asking for it to be done). We always had a table for two at the window, but the latest we ate was 6.45pm. Also came across the hard "crescent shaped rolls", but they definitely weren't croissants (and were completely different to the flakey croissants at breakfast): there was plenty of alternatives in the bread basket. Someone else recently mentioned (on another thread) that the Cowboy steak was nothing like their preferred fillet steak, BUT a cowboy steak is supposed to be nothing like a fillet steak... Husband knew what it would be, ordered it and enjoyed it. I guess that the trick with steaks is to know what you are ordering. Le Verranda was pretty nice for dinner (we did it twice - once after the Crab Feast and also on the last night when we were tired), but it would be nice if they had a different menu (or at least "Specials") each night.

The Pool Grill buffet on the last day was Mexican (the Fish thing was the day before I believe). The Mexican food at the Pool Grill was yummy. Although it could get VERY busy...

Service was excellent. Loved out Cat E Deluxe Suite, but would go for something with more space next time (probably Penthouse). We are used to larger suites on RCCL (normally an Owners Suite) and missed the space. BUT the Cat E was beautifully appointed and I LOVED the walk-in shower.

We toured Sitka on our own, cancelled Tracey Arm (I was tiring too quickly, being pregnant, and managed to almost faint at one point in Sitka - 6 hours on a boat would have been too much), did the 4 glaciers helicopter in Juneau, the White Pass Rail and Gold Dredging in Skagway and the George Inlet Cruise & Crab Feast in Ketchikan. All were good.

The onboard environmentalist/commentator started off badly (very mono-tone and sounded like she was reading, badly, from a script), but definitely warmed up as the cruise went on. She seemed to be better when she was observing a live situation.

We were in bed by 9/9.30pm each night - so didn't really get to experience the nightlife.

Anyone who is a gym person, beware that it is VERY busy the first morning (I was there by 7am (the advertised opening time!) and had to wait 15 minutes for a cardio machine to open up). However it is ONLY like this the first morning (I went 3 other mornings). Also it actually opens early than 7am (6.30am or earlier).

The other thing is that the laundry rooms can get pretty busy... I went at 6.30am (on my way to the gym) to find two of the three washing machines busy! Quite a few people like to do their laundry early...

I had a lovely time: very relaxed and very well looked after. Husband missed the fun/activities/liveliness of RCCL. So he and I will have to agree to disagree (probably cruises on both lines coming up in the future...).

Thank you all for your help and advice regarding taking this cruise :)

Boo

NoviceCruiser, so sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. We were on the same cruise and had a lovely time... This was our first Regent Cruise and first on a luxury line.

Boo: It sounds like you have been on other cruises, just not luxury cruises. If my assumption is correct, Regent would be perceived as being pretty amazing (as you are comparing it with previous cruises you have been on). NoviceCruiser, on the other hand, has no prior experience except with luxury hotels.

What you consider not crowded, a past Regent guest may consider extremely crowded (specifically speaking of the pool deck). Also, some cruisers would not be happy to hear that the pool was being dive bombed by chidlren -- thus, making it not particularly suitable for adults who want to relax in the pool.

I could really identify with the size of Category E suites. Compared to the Voyager and Navigator, the Mariner's "regular" suites are quite small. In fact, my DH found it extremely cramped - particularly the closet and tiny safe. Our next cruise on the Mariner will be in a nice, roomy Penthouse.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your cruise. Hope that someday you can try the Voyager -- it is an incredible ship:)

Didn't see many kids and they were all well behaved. They did sort of "take over" the pool (dive bombing etc) on the afternoon of the last day

As someone who has younger children, I would believe this seems inappropriate, no matter the age of the guests. I fuss at my kids even if they start splashing each other (because I know it annoys me if I get splashed).

Anyone who is a gym person, beware that it is VERY busy the first morning (I was there by 7am (the advertised opening time!) and had to wait 15 minutes for a cardio machine to open up). However it is ONLY like this the first morning (I went 3 other mornings). Also it actually opens early than 7am (6.30am or earlier).

The other thing is that the laundry rooms can get pretty busy... I went at 6.30am (on my way to the gym) to find two of the three washing machines busy! Quite a few people like to do their laundry early...

Thanks for the tips above. Nice of you to share. So glad you enjoyed your cruise. I know you spent a lot of time on the boards learning prior and I have enjoyed reading the responses to your questions.

Novice Cruiser, thanks for your review. I will be on the 8/19 sailing and have done three previous Regent cruises on Voyager, Navigator and the old Diamond. All were terrific experiences. (Mediteranean, Baltic and Caribbean). Sorry you had some unpleasant moments. Luckily, I had no motion sickness at all but had big concerns before my first cruise. I have therefore, not really focused on motion sickness solutions but think that I better be prepared. You mention using the bands and ginger Pre-Denali, is that because of the long time on the train and bus or because you were preparing for the cruise? Did you have any side effects from the patch or bonine?

Archived