Butler service

Susan07470

Catservants,

Your expectations are misguided. What you had on Celebrity is one dedicated butler for 5 - 10 cabins whose ONLY job was to be the butler. On SS it is the cabin attendants who will be performing any butler's services in addition to their normal duties. Now, keep in mind that the normal duties of a SS attendant include some of the things a butler would do on Celebrity so in combination with room service I'd say 90% of those duties are covered anyway. That's why this whole gimmick is so silly.

I repeat, do not expect the kind of butler service you had on Celebrity. Expect what they get on Azamara, which ironically, is owned by Celebrity.

We actually had some excellent butlers on Celebrity when we sailed with them. In fact on our last Celebrity cruise the butler we had for the Penthouse suite (he supported several other suites) was one of the best we have ever had on any cruise line. On Celebrity there are dedicated butlers who as you noted are responsible for several suites. They are in addition to stewardesses. This is not what is now being mentioned. What we're hearing is that they will be stewardesses with some increase responsibility. If correct, this is not the same as those lines who have dedicated Butlers and more like Azamara.

Keith

Keith,

Of the two butlers we've had on Celebrity, one (Arles) was a true delight, while the second (name unmentioned) left much to be desired. But, when dealing with human beings, nothing is ever guaranteed regardless of how much training they've had....

On our first Celebrity cruise (where we had Arles) he was indeed a real asset and we really appreciated having him. Although not dedicated to our suite, of course, we thought Celebrity's "butlering" was great and were looking forward to it again on our next Celebrity cruise. However, we never seemed to get off on the right foot with that cruise's butler, and frankly were glad to see the last of him when we disembarked.

Still, at least in theory, even a part-time butler plus the usual room attendant(s) should be a step up from no butler at all. I have to confess that just dressing up a room attendant in a butler's uniform and making him/her do their old job plus "butlering" seemed so silly that I was giving Silversea more credit for common sense than I should have. We didn't really feel the need for Celebrity-style "butlering" on our Silversea cruise, and it will be even less appealing if your suspicions are correct. :(

Catservants,

Your expectations are misguided. What you had on Celebrity is one dedicated butler for 5 - 10 cabins whose ONLY job was to be the butler. On SS it is the cabin attendants who will be performing any butler's services in addition to their normal duties. Now, keep in mind that the normal duties of a SS attendant include some of the things a butler would do on Celebrity so in combination with room service I'd say 90% of those duties are covered anyway. That's why this whole gimmick is so silly.

I repeat, do not expect the kind of butler service you had on Celebrity. Expect what they get on Azamara, which ironically, is owned by Celebrity.

Wripro,

As I mentioned above to Keith, I was making assumptions about Silversea's approach to "butlering" that do not seem to be justified. You're right - the idea is even sillier than I thought it was.

Keith,

Of the two butlers we've had on Celebrity, one (Arles) was a true delight, while the second (name unmentioned) left much to be desired. But, when dealing with human beings, nothing is ever guaranteed regardless of how much training they've had....

On our first Celebrity cruise (where we had Arles) he was indeed a real asset and we really appreciated having him. Although not dedicated to our suite, of course, we thought Celebrity's "butlering" was great and were looking forward to it again on our next Celebrity cruise. However, we never seemed to get off on the right foot with that cruise's butler, and frankly were glad to see the last of him when we disembarked.

Still, at least in theory, even a part-time butler plus the usual room attendant(s) should be a step up from no butler at all. I have to confess that just dressing up a room attendant in a butler's uniform and making him/her do their old job plus "butlering" seemed so silly that I was giving Silversea more credit for common sense than I should have. We didn't really feel the need for Celebrity-style "butlering" on our Silversea cruise, and it will be even less appealing if your suspicions are correct. :(

If the room stewardess is really the butler then I really think there is no need for that.

We were quite pleased with the duo we had in August which consisted of a stewardess and assistant stewardess. As was the case on our Seabourn sailings we did not miss having a butler.

If it is really true that the stewardess will also be the butler and there will not be dedicated butlers servicing multiple rooms I think it is a wasted effort. Why? Because of expectations. Regardless of whether they perform 10 functions or 14 as the regular butlers do in the larger suites (I'm making up numbers here) most passengers will expect a real butler and will be disappointed.

Even real butlers cannot always keep up with everything such as a situation where several passengers need help unpacking or packing. If this is a person who has hybrid functions then it will truly not work in my humble opinion.

This is why from the very beginning of the thread I have asked does all of this represent incremental staffing which I doubted. If not, I see no added value and actually disappointment.

Better to not provide the service then to provide the service and do it wrong.

Time will tell how this turns out.

Keith

As we have posted before on this topic, there will be no increase in crew:passenger ratio (besides, the numbers of berths for crew and passengers are fixed on each ship), there is unlikely to be manpower for an extra layer of cabin staff to be called butlers. So unless Silversea can tell us details of the otherwise, let us just accept the assumption that it is simply a glorification of titles.

Remember how janitors become custodians and then superintendents? Wouldn't their parents feel better telling their neighbours that their son is a building manager/superintendent instead of a janitor? Even "old folks homes" have become "senior citizens residences" and then "honoured citizens villas"!

If it is really a glorification of titles, it will definitely be a problem on a luxury ship in terms of passenger expectations. We are not talking about how parents or others describe jobs of family memebers. We are talking about expectations for those who are paying for a luxury cruise. I don't follow this analogy.

Anyway, time will tell how this works.

There was a cruise line (not a luxury cruise line) who tried doing butler service many years ago and the butlers were not properly trained and within a year it was eliminated.

IMHO, if one is going to introduce a new program the key is to do it right or not do it at all.

Keith

The luxury lines are all doing whatever they can to attract more bookings. Regent is including shore excursions. Seabourn and Seadream are cutting prices. Crystal just introduced a 241 program which doesn't save anyone any money. These butlers on SS were dreamed up by the same people who raised brochure prices, then gave us 60% off, effectively raising prices. If you buy that you might buy that you'll actually be getting a true butler.

If the room stewardess is really the butler then I really think there is no need for that.

We were quite pleased with the duo we had in August which consisted of a stewardess and assistant stewardess. As was the case on our Seabourn sailings we did not miss having a butler.

If it is really true that the stewardess will also be the butler and there will not be dedicated butlers servicing multiple rooms I think it is a wasted effort. Why? Because of expectations. Regardless of whether they perform 10 functions or 14 as the regular butlers do in the larger suites (I'm making up numbers here) most passengers will expect a real butler and will be disappointed.

Even real butlers cannot always keep up with everything such as a situation where several passengers need help unpacking or packing. If this is a person who has hybrid functions then it will truly not work in my humble opinion.

This is why from the very beginning of the thread I have asked does all of this represent incremental staffing which I doubted. If not, I see no added value and actually disappointment.

Better to not provide the service then to provide the service and do it wrong.

Time will tell how this turns out.

Keith

As I recall, your cabin attendants were Evelyn and Sonja, who were also our cabin attendants for our July cruise on the Shadow. Between their great cabin service, plus the standard room service for meals/snacks/drinks, we felt no need to introduce an additional body into the mix for our standard veranda cabin. As you and Meow point out, if all you're doing is spreading the the same amount of work around in a different fashion over the same number of warm bodies, but increasing the complexity of doing formerly routine tasks (e.g., delivering breakfast trays to the cabins), then this is not likely to be be a net gain in real service.

As you say, time will tell....

CatServants, you are 100% correct.

Evelyn and Sonja were outstanding.

This is why I mentioned that we did not need a butler.

Yes, time will tell and it will be great to hear from seasoned Silversea Cruisers who experience the new service to see what it is like for them.

Keith

wripro, if they really indeed use the stewardesses for this function, I second your thoughts.

Keith

When we had the grand suite..I think that is what it was called, We had the "butler" service. I would describe it as just a bit more than the regular service. The only real difference I saw was the hot appetizers in the late afternoon, other than that ...We were cared for in the same manner as in the other suites.

wripro, if they really indeed use the stewardesses for this function, I second your thoughts.

Keith

When we had the grand suite..I think that is what it was called, We had the "butler" service. I would describe it as just a bit more than the regular service. The only real difference I saw was the hot appetizers in the late afternoon, other than that ...We were cared for in the same manner as in the other suites. We are not demanding people, perhaps if we had asked for favors they would have been there..but that is not us.

La Paloma,

When you had the Grand suite, your butler was not also your suite attendant, was he/she?

Yes, basicly that is what they are..just as in the regular suites..and attendant. There was the gal who they called the "butler"...and her assistant. Both did the work..but as in REAL life..the asst. did the most. Perhaps it is fun to say you had a butler..but, that is not realistic. :D

La Paloma,

Then that is really cheesy. If the butlers in the grand suites are just glorified suite attendants what can we expect in regular suites? I just wonder how many excuses the "butlers" will have for not having the time to "Butle."

La Paloma,

Then that is really cheesy. If the butlers in the grand suites are just glorified suite attendants what can we expect in regular suites? I just wonder how many excuses the "butlers" will have for not having the time to "Butle."

I have no idea...the matter is...we expected nothing..thus were not disapointed. It would have surprised me if they had someone with the time to be @ our beck and call. Who among us is used to the world of butlers???

La Paloma,

The point is that is what they are advertising. Someone at you beck and call to do you every little bidding. so if you don't receive that (whether you are used to it or not) then it is false advertising. That's why it's all so silly. I have never wanted anything more on a SS cruise than my suite attendant and room service couldn't provide. I'd much rather have them at home than a butler.

We observe from the SS web page that the extended "Butler Service" starts in the next week or two. Many doubters should perhaps await the comments of CC'rs who will report when their voyages are completed. Let's give the line the benefit of the doubt until the reviews are in.:):)

Archived