Butler service

Susan07470

When "butlers" start to appear on Silversea ships, it will be best to treat them like any other crew member, be it cabin attendant, bar tender or room service staff. It will be considerate not to embarrass them. They have no say in these changes, and they are just young, hardworking people making a living to help their families at home. When they are treated in a normal, friendly manner, they will respond in kind.

When "butlers" start to appear on Silversea ships, it will be best to treat them like any other crew member, be it cabin attendant, bar tender or room service staff. It will be considerate not to embarrass them. They have no say in these changes, and they are just young, hardworking people making a living to help their families at home. When they are treated in a normal, friendly manner, they will respond in kind.

maybe I should have posted a ps. of tounge in cheek.

We took a cruise on Oceania about a year ago. Wanted to check out some of the competition. It was not as good as SS. We stayed in an owners suite that had butler service. As I recall, he did not clean the room. He actually wore a suit that one imagines a butler would wear. So what did he do for us that was out of the norm (kinda)? When we wanted to make reservations at any of the restaurants, we would call him, he would come to the room, very quickly I might add, and write down what we wanted to do for the day, next few days as far as dinner was concerned and made it happen. We brought a few cases of champagne with us (no free bubbly on Oceania) and he would make sure a few bottles were on ice by 5 everyday. He was also the person who would bring breakfast, coffee and snacks to the room, not a room service person. We didn't not have him unpack or pack, which he would have done. The long and short of it, even though I would rate this type of service as true butler service, it really didn't add that much value for me. So if SS, which I love, upgrades their service in any fashion and markets it as butler service, that's a good thing. But I really don't care if it doesn't do much because I like the product already and the butler thing is lost on me (my wife too).

Mark

mdmourges,

Again, what you experienced on Oceania is a dedicated butler, not someone who has other duties as well. I had a butler on Oceania as well and that is different from what you will have on SS because they butler will also be performing suite attendant duties.

I personally feel the butler is a value add, and if nothing else, a "go to" person. SS has done this at no cost and does not plan to decrease overall service with it. From what I have heard at a meeting yesterday, those that have been experiencing it since noon are putting good things on the comment cards.

Same thing with the eventual complete dropping of early embarkation. People have gone on and on for years that the competitors board by noon, so SS decided to let people on. They work so hard to make early embarkation possible that they figured they might as well open at noon for everyone.

Something seems to be forgotten in this discussion (or was missed by me): Silversea has a new ship coming out in December, which will require a whole lot of staff. Now does one think a line like Silversea will staff the ship with all new, inexperienced crew? Therefore, I am certain they will be moving many of their experienced staff from their other ships to add to the crew of the new ship.

This creates a problem -- not enough crew for the existing ship.

So, being a fabulous, luxury cruise-line that it is, they decide to become more competitive and hire TRAINED butlers to upgrade the cruise experience for thier clients. This company will certainly not advertise that they are having butler service (SERVICE) in all classes of cabin if they wer simply creating titles for glorified cleaning ladies.

Whether one want to use the services of the butler or not, as I have posted before, these crew members will be trained in this SERVICE. A butler is not simply a position, it is a SERVICE. I, for one, have moved to this line because of this butler service. Enjoy!

Something seems to be forgotten in this discussion (or was missed by me): Silversea has a new ship coming out in December, which will require a whole lot of staff. Now does one think a line like Silversea will staff the ship with all new, inexperienced crew? Therefore, I am certain they will be moving many of their experienced staff from their other ships to add to the crew of the new ship.

This creates a problem -- not enough crew for the existing ship.

So, being a fabulous, luxury cruise-line that it is, they decide to become more competitive and hire TRAINED butlers to upgrade the cruise experience for thier clients. This company will certainly not advertise that they are having butler service (SERVICE) in all classes of cabin if they wer simply creating titles for glorified cleaning ladies.

Whether one want to use the services of the butler or not, as I have posted before, these crew members will be trained in this SERVICE. A butler is not simply a position, it is a SERVICE. I, for one, have moved to this line because of this butler service. Enjoy!

I don't see a SS cruise listed on your signature... When are you sailing SS???

Host Dan

I am sailing on the Aug. 11th sailing of the Silver Wind, leaving Monte Carlo. I just booked on Monday. Are you sailing this summer?

My first reason for switching is that I found Cunard's service has really changed on the QM2. The company is attempting to be something that she no longer claim. I am hoping to find Silversea to be different.

njguy_south, I have commented on this before, but will do so again. We just left the Shadow , and our suite stewardess confirmed that she would be a BUTLER when she returned from the vacation she was now beginning. Her husband, one of the best waiters on the same ship, said the same. And, really, the concept that Silversea would actually hire full-fledged, trained, European-style butlers to service all suites on all ships is ridiculous. They just don't exist in those quantities! The real "Butlers" will be in the top suites. Those serving the rest will be quite good, as they are now, but will have some additional training in the packing/unpacking duties and otherwise do what they do now. And as one who has sailed Silversea many times over 13 years, they do it very well! As I have also reported, the word is that the new ship will be staffed about 60% by current crew from the other ships, and about 40% by new crew. That's the way it is, njguy, but I don't think that you will be disappointed. I'm looking forward to the Spirit maiden crossing .

Silversea has a new ship coming out in December, which will require a whole lot of staff. Now does one think a line like Silversea will staff the ship with all new, inexperienced crew? Therefore, I am certain they will be moving many of their experienced staff from their other ships to add to the crew of the new ship.
Yes, that's what SS is doing. By contrast, Seabourn is hiring for its new ship from land-based service staff, with no cruise experience. That will be interesting.

I only hope the staffs at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle won't suffer too much when Silversea raids them for all those professionally trained butlers.

I have the same idea with you. Great! Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.:confused::(

Just curious, what is the difference between a "real" butler and a "retrained" existing staff member, especially on a cruise ship? I don't mean to insult anyone, but what the heck can't you teach to the existing staff that a "real" butler does? I mean packing and unpacking can't be that challenging, etc. I am glad SS is trying to implement an increase in service and I believe that they can do this with the existing staff. On all the SS cruises I have been on, the staff has always been bright and efficient. I guess only time will tell.

Mark

It's not that you can't retrain them. It's that they will be performing their butler duties IN ADDITION TO their other duties, or performing their other duties IN DIFFERENT UNIFORMS.

And by the way, a real butler trains for months and months in a special school. It's not just learning how to throw you underwear in a drawer.

We should all just get it into our heads that these will not be real butlers but dressed up suite attendants. And to reiterate, that is just fine because the suite attendants and room service give us anything and everything we could possibly want. It's only Silversea's marketing department who would have us believe we need more.

Just curious, what is the difference between a "real" butler and a "retrained" existing staff member, especially on a cruise ship? I don't mean to insult anyone, but what the heck can't you teach to the existing staff that a "real" butler does? I mean packing and unpacking can't be that challenging, etc. I am glad SS is trying to implement an increase in service and I believe that they can do this with the existing staff. On all the SS cruises I have been on, the staff has always been bright and efficient. I guess only time will tell.

Mark

As Wripro correctly noted we are talkiing about dedicated butlers. They have specific responsibilities and that does not include cleaning the room which is one of the major responsibilities of the stewardess.

IMHO a butler was not neceesary for us on either Silversea or Seabourn and we did not miss having one. I would rather just have a stewardess and an assistant as we did on Silversea.

On the other hand I have had dedicated butlers (they support several rooms) on a few cruise lines and they were wonderful.

But I do think it is a mistake to call someone a bulter when that is only a small portion of their job because it sets an expectation for those who have had dedicated butlers that likely cannot be met.

As a few have mentioned, I do agree it's best to see how this new position works and to wait for comments but as I always say why fix something that is not a problem. I would suspect that most people on Silversea who had rooms that did not have a bulter did not list this as somethng that needed to be addressed.

Keith

So far I have read a lot of supposition and hyperbole. Other than unpacking I have not seen what a butler is expected, by SS, to do. What specifically is the job description of the proposed butlers?

ralph

ralph, here you go.

Keith

18 March 2009) Luxury travel innovator Silversea Cruises is raising the bar in personalised service with plans to feature butlers for all guest accommodation aboard its award-winning fleet. The enhanced service will be phased in gradually over the coming months.

The line's newest all-suite ship, Silver Spirit, will feature butler service in all accommodation when launched in December.

"By expanding the butler service, we're essentially elevating the qualifications and calibre of our hospitality staff to ensure we continue to deliver a guest experience of unsurpassed quality," said Christian Sauleau, executive vice president of fleet operations for Silversea. "Our butlers come to us from some of the world's finest hotels and grandest homes, already highly trained in the art of recognising guest preferences and anticipating their needs, ever attentive yet in the most unobtrusive manner."

Sauleau added, "Each butler, assisted by a suite attendant, is empowered to troubleshoot problems and provide special service touches, if desired by the guest -- for example unpacking and packing clothing, facilitating a dry cleaning request or preparing a scented Jacuzzi bath -- ultimately creating a suite environment where one can relax and feel totally cared for."

As the complimentary butler service rolls out to all accommodation, it will join an already expansive array of all-inclusive amenities available to Silversea guests, including a premium assortment of wines, champagne and spirits served throughout the ship, all gratuities, and on select sailings, the Silversea Experience®, an exclusive shoreside event. All accommodations are ocean-view and feature Pommery Champagne upon arrival; fresh fruit and flower arrangements; selection of European bath amenities; fine bed linens; premium mattresses; choice of pillow; plush robes and slippers; personalised stationery; 24-hour room service; in-suite beverage cabinet stocked daily on request with guest's selection of wines, spirits, bottled water and soft drinks; and twice daily suite service with turndown nightly.

Currently, complimentary butler service is available in the top-category accommodation -- Royal, Grand and Owner's Suites. In the coming months, it will be rolled out to Silver and Medallion Suites as follows:

• 7 May: Silver Wind

• 17 May: Prince Albert II

• 19 May: Silver Whisper

• 30 May: Silver Cloud

• 7 June: Silver Shadow

Butler service will then be extended to all accommodation on all ships as follows:

• 21 September: Prince Albert II

• 9 October: Silver Cloud

• 24 October: Silver Whisper

• 9 November: Silver Wind

• 2 December: Silver Shadow

Archived