My Time Dining - Service Expectations

As someone who will be going on our 34th cruise on Oasis in March, this will be our first time with MTD. On our past cruises we have always enjoyed having the same waiter and asst waiter for the entire cruise.

On our last cruise in July (which was on another cruise line with anytime dining) we heard other cruisers commenting that the service was disappointing, unfriendly, and rushed. Hope that will not be the case on Oasis! Love to hear about any comments about the service on RCCL and MTD. (i.e. drink orders, more rolls, butter, water refills, ease of getting wine if you sign up for wine program). Thanks

We did MTD on Freedom last year, worked so well for us we are doing it again on Mariner in 9 days.

We felt the service was wonderful, no change from the main dining room, if anything it was better as we ate at our pace, not someone else's. We got all the extras we normally did and the waiter even brought my son a lobster tail just to try it, which he then loved :eek: now I'm in trouble!

We have always done second seating, but decided to try MTD on our last cruise. It worked perfectly for us. So much so, we have switched to MTD for our next cruise.

Hi Ray & Stella............ :)

Our upcoming Oct 3 cruise on the Serenade will be our 3rd time choosing MTD. Our first two experiences were terrific and we've decided MTD is the only way to go.

We made a reservation for 7:45 each evening and had the same wait staff...........and most of the time the same table. If we wanted to make a 9:00 show we asked the waiter to "fast track" our dinner. If we wanted to go to an early show we asked to come to dinner a bit later. All requests were met with a smile and a "no problem" and our service was always above par.

We had several unhappy experiences with the main dining room, and had decided to eat at Chops or Windjammer. Once we had the choice of MTD, we tried that, and have never looked back. Service has been wonderful, we always have a table for two, and dinner goes much faster.

Food is ordered from the main dining room menu, and always arrives hot.

We love MTD. We will be on our 33rd cruise at the end of this month, and will be doing MTD again. :)

"The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I have been on 17 cruises, the first 16 being traditional dining. We did "My Time Dining" on the Independence of the Seas last February and we are now converts.

• We never had more than a wait of a minute or two to get a table. We dined the first evening at about 6:15 as we were tired from our flight. Others nights were between 7 and 7:15. We certainly did not miss the "cattle herd" of traditional dining.
  • We were always able to get a table for two.
  • Service was outstanding! We were able to get the same waitstaff each evening and they remembered our preferences, (etc.). Although we also tip the "suggested amount" on previous cruises, we gave them addtional on the last evening as we felt that they had earned it.
  • They would always check as to whether or not we needed to get out quickly and they would speed things along if we wished. Since we were in no hurry, the meal was at a leisurely pace. We never felt rushed.
  • The food was outstanding. Water glasses were refilled, extra veggies were brought to us as requested, (etc.).
  • Drink service was excellent. They even remembered my wife's wine preference.
  • On most cruises, the only time you see the head waiter is on the last evening when they have their hands held out. We found that the head waiter visited our table each evening and was sincerely interested in our opinions of the food and service.

Give "My Time Dining" a try. You won't regret it!

Wow - thanks for all the great reviews - now I am looking forward to MTD. If is is as great as you all have said - I predict that we may see the end of fixed time dining in the next few years. Especially on Oasis with over 12 eating venues.

We did MTD on the Enchantment in March. We didn't make any standing reservation just showed up when we were ready for dinner - never a problem! At most only waited a minute or two for a table, always in the same general area with most of the same staff. They were all friendly & helpful - if we had a different wait team one night the others would still take time to greet us & ask about our day.

We are doing MTD on the Mariner in a few months & considering switching our Oasis cruise to MTD.

This is very encouraging because I have read some unfavorable reviews of MTD. We are doing it next week on the Monarch because while in Nassau I did not want to feel we have to rush back to the ship. While I am sure we will be back early because we will probably just be tired of the sun this way we do have an option if we chose to say a bit.

This threads leads me to wonder what is the latest time you can go to the MDR for MTD? Does anyone know?

This is very encouraging because I have read some unfavorable reviews of MTD. We are doing it next week on the Monarch because while in Nassau I did not want to feel we have to rush back to the ship. While I am sure we will be back early because we will probably just be tired of the sun this way we do have an option if we chose to say a bit.

This threads leads me to wonder what is the latest time you can go to the MDR for MTD? Does anyone know?

I think MTD reservations can be 5:30 or 6:00 to 9:00 or 9:30 depending on the ship.

We chose MTD 3 times in the past 7 weeks-Freedom, Monarch, and Enchantment. In the past, we have always chose 1st seating.

Service was fantastic all three times with MTD! We chose to make a reservation the first day for the rest of the cruise, but at different times with the same staff on all 3 cruises.

The only tiny issue we had was on Freedom and it was when we chose to eat early (6:15-6:30pm) they sat us with the main seating guests and it threw their service off a bit! NO BIG DEAL! The service was fantastic and the rest of the cruises we did not miss a beat. I bet on Freedom it was because the ship was packed!

Last week on Enchantment we had a reservation at 7:30pm on the day we were in Cozumel. We fell asleep and woke up a little after 7pm. When I called to cancel our table for 7:30, the hostess told me to come down when we were ready before 9:30pm and they would take care of us........and they did!:eek:

I can't say enough about MTD. On Princess, they still can't get the service aspect correct. Royal seemed to work out the kinks almost immediately!;) Enjoy!

Last week on Enchantment we had a reservation at 7:30pm on the day we were in Cozumel. We fell asleep and woke up a little after 7pm. When I called to cancel our table for 7:30, the hostess told me to come down when we were ready before 9:30pm and they would take care of us........and they did!:eek:

Thank you, you answered my question about the latest time you can go down. I even started a thread about it. lol Thanks!

Thank you, you answered my question about the latest time you can go down. I even started a thread about it. lol Thanks!

Yes, the hostess was telling me I could go there as late at 9:30!

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your cruise when you get back? Monday, right??;)

Yes, the hostess was telling me I could go there as late at 9:30!

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your cruise when you get back? Monday, right??;)

I am so excited. I know my DD is as excited. We are all packed and ready to go bright and early tomorrow morning. I do not normally do reviews but I will attempt to do a short but sweet one. lol

Yes we do get off on Monday the 17th ;)

We've done MTD five times now[Jewel, Nav(twice), Indy and Liberty] and have never had anything less than a good meal and great service. As someone said earlier the food arrives hot and at whatever pace you want it, not at the pace of the 4 or 5 tables around you, and the service is far less hectic.

Also, have done it both ways, with and without reservations, and never had a problem getting a table right away. We are total converts and wouldn't go back to traditional.

Archived