Rome DIY - amount of time at each site?

AndyB

Okay, experts, I'm ready for the critique of my Rome itinerary. We are docked 7-7. Our must sees are Colosseum, Pantheon and St. Peters / Vatican. I took the order from another thread here and worked backwards from a train departure that gets us back to Civi at about 5pm, to allow plenty of cushion.

Start End Dur. Desc.

7:00 8:00 1:00 Get off ship, shuttle to port entrance, walk to train station

8:00 9:20 1:20 Train to Roma (7:59) - next is 8:41

9:20 9:30 0:10 Termini (or Ostiense) to Colosseum

9:30 10:30 1:00 Colosseum

10:30 11:00 0:30 Forum

11:00 11:05 0:05 Taxi to Trevi Fountain

11:05 11:20 0:15 Trevi Fountain

11:20 11:35 0:15 Walk to Pantheon

11:35 12:05 0:30 Pantheon

12:05 12:15 0:10 Walk to Piazza Navona

12:15 12:45 0:30 Piazza Navona

12:45 13:00 0:15 Taxi to St. Peter's Square

13:00 15:00 2:00 St. Peter's / Vatican tour

15:00 15:15 0:15 Taxi to train station (San Pietro?)

15:39 16:57 1:30 Train to Civitavecchia (15:39)

So my questions are:

• Is it realist to think we'll be off the ship (Century) and to the train station in time to catch the 8:00 train?
  • Would you suggest different durations of stays at the various attractions (hoping in October the crowds are not too bad)?
  • We'll be in Rome on a Wednesday - should the Papal address alter my plans any?
  • Piazza Navona seems to be on all the stock itineraries. But Castel Sant' Angelo looks interesting too. Would anyone swap out Piazza Navona? What's the draw there?

Thanks (again) in advance for the tips!

Andrea

I can't answer your question about the early morning timing, as I've only ever embarked/disembarked at Rome -- I've not done it as a "day stop".

The thing that concerns me a little is that I don't think you've allowed enough transit time from place to place. For example, when you get to Termini (or Ostiense, which may be the better option) there will be a bit of a walk from the train to the metro station (longer if Termini), then you may have to wait a few minutes for the next train to arrive, then the actual transit time to the Colosseo stop. I'd at least double your estimate to 20 min.

Same for the Forum-to-Trevi Fountain transit. You've only allowed yourself a half hour to walk around the Forum (a huge site), AND walk back to where the taxi rank is in order to get a cab. I don't think that's realistic. And traffic in Rome is bad; I doubt you'll get to Trevi in 5 minutes.

So, just be aware of these little time takers. My best advice is to keep an ambitious itinerary (if that's what you want to do), but make a Plan B just in case -- in other words, if you start running seriously behind, and being at the Vatican at 1pm is a must (sounds like you have a tour?), then be prepared to cut something out.

Regarding the Papal address -- many people do recommend doing the Vatican museum in the morning while the Papal address is taking place. The crowds tend to head over there right afterward, so hopefully you have either pre-reserved tickets or have a tour set up, allowing you to bypass the line if it's long.

I'll try to respond in order.

You'll need to step lively to make that 7:59 train, but it's possible. Buying your BIRG ticket at the newstand is faster than waiting in line at the ticket window.

Don't go to Termini, that adds at least 15 minutes to your trip. Get off at Ostiense and take the metro two stops northbound to the Colosseum.

An hour may or may not be enough at the Colosseum, depending on how long it takes to get your ticket and get in. The audioguide tour takes about an hour if you stop and listen to each item.

You can get through the Forum in a half hour ... if you don't really stop to look at much. Since your next stop is Treve, exit the Forum via the steps that go up to Campidoglio (just past the Arch of Septimius Severus).

I wouldn't bother with a taxi to Treve from here, it's only a ten minute walk.

The reason for stopping at Piazza Navona is Bernini's amazing fountain, Quattro Fiumi. It's just been recently restored. Piazza Navona is also full of all kinds of street performers and artists.

I love Castel Sant' Angelo, it's fascinating. You tour this on your own; the audioguide here is invaluable. You need at least an hour to make your way through it.

Thanks! I felt silly at first putting the 10-minute walk/taxi times in my spreadsheet, but as you say they do add up, and looks like I need to plan for more transit time. I think we may still plan for the Vatican around 1 pm (haven't booked yet but will do advance booking or tour), and that will be our only have-to-be-there time. We'll start at the Colosseum and Forum and see what we have time for after that. I'd love to see Castel Sant' Angelo, but I can't imagine we'll have time to do the tour - may have to be content with the exterior (and bridge leading to it), if time permits.

What each sees is really up to them.

- Increase time in Forum

- Walk to Pantheon from there

- Skip Piazza Navone

- Walk to Trevi

- Walk to Spanish Steps

- Taxi to Vatican

My take, for what its worth.

I agree with GSPLover that what each sees is really up to them. For example, the Spanish Steps do nothing for me, but Bernini's fountain in Piazza Navona is magnificent, so I would not swap them, although she would. Just differing tastes.

Also, for one day only, I definitely never would include Castel Sant'Angelo (which we did not even get to in our five full days in Rome in June!). Just my opinion.

I actually like your original list very much. My only comment is that thirty minutes for the Forum is not enough time there.

Enjoy your day in Rome!

Have you had any luck finding out which Wednesdays in October the Pope will be speaking? I have been watching the Vatican website and it only goes thru Sept. I am trying to plan around this. Thanks.

We had no trouble making the 8 a.m. train, with a 7 a.m. arrival time.

However, we did not arrive at the Colosseum until 10 (a 10 minute train delay along the way + a 10 minute walk in the termini to get to the metro), therefore would follow euro cruiser's advice to get off at Ostiense to save time.

Agree that more time (one hour min) is needed at the forum.

Are you doing a guided tour at the Vatican or DIY? Two hours seems short for the museums, Sistine and St. Peter's, esp. since the two hours includes time needed to wait in line, purchase tickets, and get a taxi afterwards.

We took a later train back to Civitavecchia (one hour later...arriving at 6 p.m.) ... if there is a train shortly after 4, that would give you a bit more time in Rome, but still with a safety cushion.

First question......when are you eating lunch ???? Forgot that little item huh ????

I would concentrate on the "biggies" such as the Coliseum/Forum and the Vatican with a quick stop at the Trevi fountain (so you can throw your coin in and be assured of a return visit) This is all we covered (+ Spanish Steps) and we stayed 1 night precruise instead of a "port stop" This is such a wonderful place you also need to try and take some time to soak a little of the ambience up too. Trying to squeeze all of it in in one day can ruin it.

then.... next trip you can visit the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and others.....:D

I agree that the travel time and wait in line time should be increased....even in October. We were there our first visit in very late November and there are still lines then.

allow extra cushion to get back to ship.....nothing can ruin a wonderful day in Rome than panicking trying to get back.......

First question......when are you eating lunch ???? Forgot that little item huh ????....

Well, if you are traveling with Mr. Military History, as I must, you eat a nice breakfast on board, and then take one or two granola bars with you on certain intense sightseeing days. (Yes, I take them with me to Europe.) I still remember sitting in the Agora in Athens last September just below the Temple of Hephastus eating my granola bar and drinking from my water bottle and doing the same thing in Pompeii in June, where the snack bar is closed this year for renovations. (But we had great pizza late lunch in Sorrento at 5 PM that same day!)

Of course, in Rome there always are quick gelato opportunities.

Well, if you are traveling with Mr. Military History, as I must, you eat a nice breakfast on board, and then take one or two granola bars with you on certain intense sightseeing days.

Of course, in Rome there always are quick gelato opportunities.

LOL!!!

It's a trade off - if you have only eight hours or so in one of the world's most beautiful and interesting cities, which also happens to have some of the best food, how do you choose?

As CintiPam points out, there are lots of opportunities for food and gelato on the go.

Yes, absolutely take the train from Roma San Pietro. You've left a lot of time here (arrive at station at 3:15, train at 3:39), I guess this is part of your padding for just-in-case.

There are two later trains, a 4:29 that arrives in Civitavecchia at 5:13, and a 4:59 that arrives at 5:57. We took the 4:59 a couple of weeks ago and had no problem making it back on board in plenty of time for a 7 PM departure, but I understand that might make others nervous. However, if you shoot for the 4:29 train, if anything goes wrong you've still got the 4:59 as backup.

LOL!!!

It's a trade off - if you have only eight hours or so in one of the world's most beautiful and interesting cities, which also happens to have some of the best food, how do you choose?

As CintiPam points out, there are lots of opportunities for food and gelato on the go.

While I can understand the "I gotta see it all" mentality...... I felt that way my first trip since I didnt know if I would ever get back...... I really encourage you to try and take 1/2 hr.....find a nice little cafe with maybe some outside seating in a neat location..... and just soak up some of what is Rome. Our first trip we grabbed lunch with our private guide in a little hole-in-the-wall place, 5 euros for a personal pizza, desert and a coke. Talked with the owner and another local and just caught our breath. Not to mention give the feet a rest ! It was the first time I realized that I was not only in love with the sights of Rome and the food of Rome but also the people of Rome. Just a suggestion.

I just disembarked in Civitavecchia this past Saturday. We were in town (only ship to disembark), along with the following ships just there for the day: Grand Princess, Idependence of the Seas, Regent Seven Seas Navigator, Oosterdam.

Remember, the free shuttle from the port to the port entrance only begins operating at 7:30 am. I tried to aim for the 7:59 train this past Saturday, but I didn't make it there on time. However, I was trying to lug luggage, so that slowed me down. It's still a 10 minute walk from the port entrance to the train station. I even purchased my train tickets in advance 2 weeks earlier thinking that it would help. But I arrived at the train station just past 8:00 am, so I had to wait for the 8:41 am train. On my train were TONS of Oosterdam, Grand Pricess and Independence of the Seas passengers.

So, its a good idea to aim fo rthe 7:59 am train, but just factor in that you MAY NOT make it.

Okay, experts, I'm ready for the critique of my Rome itinerary. We are docked 7-7. Our must sees are Colosseum, Pantheon and St. Peters / Vatican. I took the order from another thread here and worked backwards from a train departure that gets us back to Civi at about 5pm, to allow plenty of cushion.

Start End Dur. Desc.

7:00 8:00 1:00 Get off ship, shuttle to port entrance, walk to train station

8:00 9:20 1:20 Train to Roma (7:59) - next is 8:41

9:20 9:30 0:10 Termini (or Ostiense) to Colosseum

9:30 10:30 1:00 Colosseum

10:30 11:00 0:30 Forum

11:00 11:05 0:05 Taxi to Trevi Fountain

11:05 11:20 0:15 Trevi Fountain

11:20 11:35 0:15 Walk to Pantheon

11:35 12:05 0:30 Pantheon

12:05 12:15 0:10 Walk to Piazza Navona

12:15 12:45 0:30 Piazza Navona

12:45 13:00 0:15 Taxi to St. Peter's Square

13:00 15:00 2:00 St. Peter's / Vatican tour

So my questions are:

• Is it realist to think we'll be off the ship (Century) and to the train station in time to catch the 8:00 train?
  • Would you suggest different durations of stays at the various attractions (hoping in October the crowds are not too bad)?
  • We'll be in Rome on a Wednesday - should the Papal address alter my plans any?
  • Piazza Navona seems to be on all the stock itineraries. But Castel Sant' Angelo looks interesting too. Would anyone swap out Piazza Navona? What's the draw there?

Thanks (again) in advance for the tips!

Andrea

Looks like a plan, as others said got a contingency / backup if you miss the 1st train or start running late because you find somethign special you want to spend more time on?

How are you securing tickets to the Colosseum and Vatican? If you don't have reserved tickets that could bust your schedule.

It will be likely be hot, likely crowded to and hopefully no rain. You not planning on stopping for food/liquids or bathroom break. Even our gellato stops took 10-15' to enjoy. You really going to eat those on the run? Might want to put that in the spread sheet and figure out where the public toilets are so that is also planned and accounted :D:D

I know how can you not try to see the most while in Rome. To DIY is a challenge here for only the most well prepared and fit. Have you considered a private tour. We saw everything on your list and a bit more and actually had time for lunch ~ 45', gellato, and shopping. Of course we spent probably 130 euros more/person then you are likely to spend. But like another poster said, you are in Rome so really should take the opportunity, NO ;)

You got to report back on how you did against that schedule!

I just disembarked in Civitavecchia this past Saturday. We were in town (only ship to disembark), along with the following ships just there for the day: Grand Princess, Idependence of the Seas, Regent Seven Seas Navigator, Oosterdam.

Remember, the free shuttle from the port to the port entrance only begins operating at 7:30 am. I tried to aim for the 7:59 train this past Saturday, but I didn't make it there on time. However, I was trying to lug luggage, so that slowed me down. It's still a 10 minute walk from the port entrance to the train station. I even purchased my train tickets in advance 2 weeks earlier thinking that it would help. But I arrived at the train station just past 8:00 am, so I had to wait for the 8:41 am train. On my train were TONS of Oosterdam, Grand Pricess and Independence of the Seas passengers.

So, its a good idea to aim fo rthe 7:59 am train, but just factor in that you MAY NOT make it.

Did you purchase BIRG tickets in advance? how did you do it? that would save a few minutes at the station.

Having been to Rome three times, I am afarid you are being too ambitious. My advice (and everyone has his own opinion) is as follows:

1. Skip the Colliseum--the outside view is impressive enough (you'll see it from the entrance to the Forum) and there's not all that much to see inside but lines can be very long.

2. Allocate more time to the Forum--it's a very large area with a lot to see and I don't think you could even walk through it in 30 minutes let alone stop to see anything. Have a good guidebook to make sense of what you are seeing.

3. Skip the Trevi fountain--it's much better at night anyway and Piazza Navona will give you a good idea of a wonderful public space with great fountains.

4. Don't miss my favorite "small" sight--the elephant with the obelisk on its back--just around the corner from the Pantheon.

Enjoy!

Did you purchase BIRG tickets in advance? how did you do it? that would save a few minutes at the station.

I don't know of any way to buy a BIRG in advance unless you are in Lazio (the region Rome is in). It only takes a moment to buy if you go directly the the newsstand - he sells them all morning long and knows exactly what you need. It costs 9 Euro - have the cash ready in the right amount and you'll be on the track only moments after entering the station.

Unfortunately, I didn't have use for a BIRG ticket since I was disembarking in Rome.

So I purchased one-way Civitavecchia to Roma Termini tickets in advance 2 weeks earlier when I was in Milan. Regional train tickets can be purchased at any train station in Italy, up to 60 days before use, as long as you know the starting point and ending point of your journey

However, tickets like a BIRG ticket can only be purchased within the Lazio region, where Rome and Civitavecchia are located, and can not be purchased in other parts of Italy. If you purchase a BIRG for a one-day Civi-Rome trip, make sure to buy a BIRG Zone 5 ticket. It's 9,00 euros for the day

Unfortunately, I didn't have use for a BIRG ticket since I was disembarking in Rome.

So I purchased one-way Civitavecchia to Roma Termini tickets in advance 2 weeks earlier when I was in Milan. Regional train tickets can be purchased at any train station in Italy, up to 60 days before use, as long as you know the starting point and ending point of your journey

However, tickets like a BIRG ticket can only be purchased within the Lazio region, where Rome and Civitavecchia are located, and can not be purchased in other parts of Italy. If you purchase a BIRG for a one-day Civi-Rome trip, make sure to buy a BIRG Zone 5 ticket. It's 9,00 euros for the day

thanks!

I actually like your original list very much. My only comment is that thirty minutes for the Forum is not enough time there.

Agree! The Roman Forum was more interesting than the Colosseum, in our opinion. Amazing! Intact and extensive ruins in the middle of downtown Rome. The best ruins - along with Ephesus - of our whole itinerary. Athens was good, Olympia was not - in comparison. I think you may have to return to Rome to see more. And don't forget to enjoy it! Take frequent Gelato stops!

1541737423_thefam1027.jpg.5e57afc69fb0970a6e1a1034e77a40fb.jpg

We have been to Rome 3 times and will return again this October. It deserves at least 4 days to really enjoy it, BUT if you only have one day, I would agree that seeing the Colosseum from the outside is sufficient. Forum is okay to walk through. Pantheon is one of the most amazing sites I have seen, IF you take time to read a little about how it was built. Castle St. Angelo we saved for our third visit, and I would not spend time on visiting it if I only had one day. Pantheon is about a 5 minute walk from Piazza Navona, which is one of the great piazzas in Rome. ST Peters and Vatican Museum (MAINLY the Sistene Chapel) is a must see. We love Trevi Fountain, but it is away from the other sites you mention. I would advise you to take a look at the Rick Steve's "Rome" tour book for many helpful hints on saving time. Usually when we visit a place, we try to leave something unseen, as a reason to return. So far, it has worked. Enjoy.

We have been to Rome on a one day cruise ship stop TWICE. Our first trip, in May 2007, we did very much like you are planning. I will post our day below, but I, unfortunately, did not write down the exact time schedule. We were on the first shuttle bus to the port entrance and made the early train. We did not use ANY taxis at all, and still made it to all the spots, so I know it can be done! We got back to the ship in plenty of time before sailaway too. We skipped lunch and just ate granola bars, drank water (refilled from the fountains in Rome!), and had gelato. Never regretted our quick day. The second trip we explored some of the places further - like a Scavi Tour of the Vatican, Michelangelo's Moses at St. Peter's In Chains Church, the peep hole view of the Vatican at the Maltese Embassy gate, the Mouth of Truth, and actually getting to see Bernini's Fountain of the Four Rivers in Piazza Navonne (which had been covered for cleaning in 2007.) Have a great day!!!

Our Rome Experience May 2007

We bought €9 BIRG tickets (include day use of trains, Metro and city buses) caught the train from Civitivecchia, then transfered to the Metro, Blue Line B, and got off at Coloseo exit. We came out right in front of the Colliseum. Since then read that we might have been able to shave off a few minutes travel time by exiting the train at Ostiense and connecting to the metro there (also line B) and going the few stops to the Colosseum (Coloseo). Bought our tickets at Palantine Hill, so no line, paid €5 or so extra once inside the Colliseum for an English guided tour. Great decision! Afterward roamed the forum area with a guide book I had brought before walking (got a little lost so lost some time here, but saw more of Rome!) to the Pantheon - the oldest continually used building on Earth. Exiting the Pantheon I noticed to our right a street sign pointing the way to Trevi Fountain. Longer walk than we thought at first, but so worth it. We both tossed coins over our shoulders and made wishes to return to Rome soon. We were next going to Piazza Vavonne, but learned from fellow traveler that the Fountain of the Four Rivers was covered for cleaning, so just strolled there very quickly and then decided to just retrace our steps and before we got back to the Pantheon area we caught the #64 city bus to the Vatican (we looked for one with San Pietra displayed and heading in the correct direction). Toured the Vatican Museums and St. Peters. We made suree to exit the Sistene Chapel out the rear door on the right directly to St. Peters. Great decision. After exiting the Vatican area we caught the Metro (after a quick gelato stop) not far from St. Peters to go see The Spanish Steps at the Spagna exit. Caught the metro to Termini where we connected with our train back to Civitivecchia. Very ambitious day, but it was WONDERFUL!!! (No time to stop for lunch, just grabbed some gelato and pizza from vendors we passed! With the new ban on eating near the monuments be very careful as tthose eating or drinking near them are now fined!) We made it back to Civitivecchia, tired, but excited by our wonderful day. We walked from the station to the port entrance and caught the waiting shuttle bus back to our ship a good hour or more before sailaway.

Hello,

thank you all for sharing your experiences with us newbies!

We are doing Rome by ourselves as well, and I had only one question (for those who were just there not so long ago)- when does the last port shuttle (from port entrance to the ship) leave? We are leaving Rome at 8 pm, but am worried that the shuttle runs only through 5 pm (like someone from my rollcall suggested)- which would be a great waste of time. Is there any way that we can check the shuttle schedule?

Thank you again!

Archived