First time on FOS - Would love to hear your Input

jcamber

My wife and I will be on our very first cruise this August 30. It's the Freedom of the Seas leaving out of Port Canaveral. I was told by a RCI rep over the phone that "Formal" nights on a 7-day cruise are the 2nd and 6th nights. We went ahead and scheduled a Chops dinner on the 6th so we don't have to dress up a 3rd time (not that we mind dressing up but to avoid over-packing). A few questions I have:

1. I have not purchased the soda pass mostly because it seems a bit much at $46 per person ($92 for the two of us) but was wondering how much sodas are at the boat if you buy individually. I guess I don't want to buy it if it's not going to be worth the money.

2. Can anyone confirm that 2nd and 6th nights are the formal ones? what about the rest of the evenings? I'm assuming a pair of jeans and polo shirt will do for the main dinning room but I don't know. The booklet I got from RCI doesn't say on X and Y nights it's formal, on A and B it's "Smart casual", etc. kind of confusing. Anyway, I'm planning on wearing a jacket and tie on 2nd and 6th, jeans/khaki and Polo on the other nights. Would that be OK?

3. I'm paranoid about the boat leaving a port without me. How long in advance do you need to be back at the boat before it's scheduled departure?

My tours are

Labadee - Snorkel Safari

Ocho Rios - River tubing

Grand Cayman - Catamaran sail going to Stingray city sandbar, barrier reef and coral gardens

Cozumel - Power snorkeling w/massage afterwards

Any input, advice and what to do/not to do would be great!

to read Radio's Live Tread. He took the same cruise as you on August 2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1034183

I am leaving for the western FOS cruise this Sunday.

I believe the Formal nights for the western FOS route are Day 2 (at Sea) and Day 5 Grand Caymen. The main dining room is 5 nights casual with 2 formal nights. The specialilty resturants are smart casual all the time.

The general rule for soda cards is if you drink more than 4 canned sodas a day it is more cost effective. Some people like the ease of not signing the reciept everytime with the soda card.

have an awesome cruise!

we are on fos the week before you and can hardly wait to go- our formal nights are monday and thurs- dh will wear a suit or tux for those and dress slacks/ polo or khaki/ polo the nights we go to main dining room or specialty restaurants- shorts if we eat dinner in windjammer-

there will be some ppl on this board that recommend no jeans in dining room- what others choose to wear doesnt bother me but i just thought i would give you a heads up on that

we dont buy soda on the ship so cant help you there- dh has to have a mountain dew every am to get going so he brings a 6 pack of those with him- rest of the time we just drink tea ( or adult libations ;) )

i believe they ask you to be back on the ship 1/2 hour before scheduled departure time from each port

Welcome to the cruise critic boards! Man, you couldn't have picked a more awesome ship for your first cruise! You are going to be BLOWN away. My husband and I went in May on the Freedom and are actually going to be cruising w/you and your wife on August 30th. You made a great decision in reserving Chops online beforehand. We did our reservation last night for Chops and many of the times we wanted, were not available. Be sure to come to the pub on the promenade in the evenings and grab a drink and a tambourine and dance along to all the funny songs. Make sure you don't miss the welcome aboard parade the first night (I think it's around 10:45, can't remember). It's in the promenade and it will blow you away. Try to get there earlier so you can have a good spot to see. Make sure you have a pannini at sorrento's at some point and have a lunch or breakfast one day at least in the main dining room. If you find you don't like the hustle and bustle of the windjammer, eat breakfast in the dining room everyday. Lunch is only served in the dining room on sea days! Have an awesome cruise! See you onboard!

1) Sodas are a couple of bucks individually. If you are the type of person who can stay awake without 10 diet cokes per day, get the soda package. Otherwise just buy one when you want one.

2) Formal nights should be the 2nd and 6th. Don't worry about bringing a jacket for "smart casual" - not many people do. My husband just wears a polo/hawaiian shirt and dockers on the smart casual and casual nights. There is some debate as to whether jeans are OK in the dining room on casual nights, but you will certainly not be deined entrance to the dining room if you are wearing them.

3) We usually time our shore activities so that we expect to arrive back at the ship ONE HOUR before the time you must be back. This way if there is traffic, etc., you will have some lee way. If you are arranging your shore excursion through the ship, they will hold the ship if the excursion is late returning. If you are out on your own, they will not hold the ship if you are late.

Chops on formal night does not require formal attire, its optional. You will enter Chops on deck 11 close to the windjammer.

I only do one formal night, and wear capris to Chops. My husband wears jeans and a dress shirt, and we do wear jeans to the MDR. We are in our 50's so our jeans aren't worn or ragged.

I guarentee when you leave the MDR you will not even know what anybody wore. Unless you purposely inspect the situation.

Go and enjoy yourselves. Be and do as you please. As long as you follow the ships rules the dress codes are flexable except shorts in the MDR, but I have read that some will wear them.

Welcome to the cruise critic boards! Man, you couldn't have picked a more awesome ship for your first cruise! You are going to be BLOWN away. My husband and I went in May on the Freedom and are actually going to be cruising w/you and your wife on August 30th. You made a great decision in reserving Chops online beforehand. We did our reservation last night for Chops and many of the times we wanted, were not available. Be sure to come to the pub on the promenade in the evenings and grab a drink and a tambourine and dance along to all the funny songs. Make sure you don't miss the welcome aboard parade the first night (I think it's around 10:45, can't remember). It's in the promenade and it will blow you away. Try to get there earlier so you can have a good spot to see. Make sure you have a pannini at sorrento's at some point and have a lunch or breakfast one day at least in the main dining room. If you find you don't like the hustle and bustle of the windjammer, eat breakfast in the dining room everyday. Lunch is only served in the dining room on sea days! Have an awesome cruise! See you onboard!

awesome advice! yeah, I figured the specialty restaurants would sell out quick so I wasn't surprised to see the 2nd night was already sold (since it's spent at sea). Thanks so much on the tips! I'll print this thread out before I leave so I get to see things you experienced cruisers already have!

BTW, so is it the 5th or 6th night that it's formal?

Thanks on the tips for the soda pass. I think I'll pass! :) I'm usually fine with one, maybe two cokes in a day. My wife just drinks water... so this probably isn't worth it to us.

Oh ok on lunch. I figured since they assume people are out doing tours, there's no point in serving lunch, is that right? so you're basically on your own while you're out. Which by the way, I read that there's a BBQ at Labadee but I haven't heard what people recommend for Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman (Cozumel I'm not too worried because I'm Mexican and can work my way around eating something there :)).

Last, I'm getting a credit of $100 on my on-board credit pass and was wondering how you can use that money. Can I use that to pay the tips that I'm supposed to pay at the end of the cruise? or how does that work?

thanks again

My wife and I will be on our very first cruise this August 30. It's the Freedom of the Seas leaving out of Port Canaveral. I was told by a RCI rep over the phone that "Formal" nights on a 7-day cruise are the 2nd and 6th nights. We went ahead and scheduled a Chops dinner on the 6th so we don't have to dress up a 3rd time (not that we mind dressing up but to avoid over-packing). A few questions I have:

1. I have not purchased the soda pass mostly because it seems a bit much at $46 per person ($92 for the two of us) but was wondering how much sodas are at the boat if you buy individually. I guess I don't want to buy it if it's not going to be worth the money.

2. Can anyone confirm that 2nd and 6th nights are the formal ones? what about the rest of the evenings? I'm assuming a pair of jeans and polo shirt will do for the main dinning room but I don't know. The booklet I got from RCI doesn't say on X and Y nights it's formal, on A and B it's "Smart casual", etc. kind of confusing. Anyway, I'm planning on wearing a jacket and tie on 2nd and 6th, jeans/khaki and Polo on the other nights. Would that be OK?

3. I'm paranoid about the boat leaving a port without me. How long in advance do you need to be back at the boat before it's scheduled departure?

My tours are

Labadee - Snorkel Safari

Ocho Rios - River tubing

Grand Cayman - Catamaran sail going to Stingray city sandbar, barrier reef and coral gardens

Ok if you and your wife will be togeather most of the time and you are going to get her her drink anyway, you only need one soda sticker. You will have to make 2 trips to get 2 cokes but other wise there is no hassle. At dinner you can only have one coke on the table. That saves you 46. If you have time stop at the grocery store and buy a case and carry it on. Never had any trouble with that.

Sodas are $2.24 per can---that includes the 15% they add to every drink purchase!

You do know that you are allowed to bring sodas onboard, if you want to! But, there's plenty to drink that's included in your fare...you won't dehydrate!

Don't worry about spending that $100. Anything you purchase onboard will go against that credit--alcohol, spa, souveniers, sodas, tips, etc....it will be gone before you know it!

Ok if you and your wife will be togeather most of the time and you are going to get her her drink anyway, you only need one soda sticker. You will have to make 2 trips to get 2 cokes but other wise there is no hassle. At dinner you can only have one coke on the table. That saves you 46. If you have time stop at the grocery store and buy a case and carry it on. Never had any trouble with that.

Soda cards are per person, not per family, but I am sure you already knew that.

You can still get lunch on board even in port days. You will find a lot of people come back to the ship to eat and some don't even leave the ship!!

Your OBC will be applied to your account once on board. I would check your account (you can do that on your TV in your room) a couple of days in to make sure it has been applied.

If you want to - towards the end of your week you will have the option to fill out some paperwork and have your tips added to your seapass account. You just need to remember to drop it off at the guest relations desk by the deadline. Your cabin steward will then on your last day give you vouchers to hand out.

Have an amazing time - we are on the Freedom for the first time in Feb10! Can't wait!

awesome advice! yeah, I figured the specialty restaurants would sell out quick so I wasn't surprised to see the 2nd night was already sold (since it's spent at sea). Thanks so much on the tips! I'll print this thread out before I leave so I get to see things you experienced cruisers already have!

BTW, so is it the 5th or 6th night that it's formal?

Thanks on the tips for the soda pass. I think I'll pass! :) I'm usually fine with one, maybe two cokes in a day. My wife just drinks water... so this probably isn't worth it to us.

Oh ok on lunch. I figured since they assume people are out doing tours, there's no point in serving lunch, is that right? so you're basically on your own while you're out. Which by the way, I read that there's a BBQ at Labadee but I haven't heard what people recommend for Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman (Cozumel I'm not too worried because I'm Mexican and can work my way around eating something there :)).

Last, I'm getting a credit of $100 on my on-board credit pass and was wondering how you can use that money. Can I use that to pay the tips that I'm supposed to pay at the end of the cruise? or how does that work?

thanks again

They serve lunch every day.....they donot serve lunch in the main dinning room on port days only. You can still get lunch at the Windjammer, Prom. cafe, Sorrentos or room service.....Enjoy!

Ican tell you this you guys will have a great time , we used the my time dining and loved it. Me and my son wore usually a pair of khakis and a polo and it was perfect and we like you ate at chops on the first formal night and Portofino's on the second night and it worked perfect..... also try the desserts in Sorrento's ... have a great time .... Oasis july 2010...

My tours are

Labadee - Snorkel Safari

Ocho Rios - River tubing

We're on the same cruise - may sure you come over to our Roll Call thread if you haven't already, and join the Meet & Mingle. There are literally at least 100 CC'ers on this sailing, and probably more that haven't signed up for the M&M.

Formal nights are the 2nd night of the cruise (1st sea day) and the Grand Cayman day, whichever that one is... Day 5 maybe? See Radio's thread referenced above - around page 19 I think is when he hit Grand Cayman, so he talks about formal night.

If you're not sure how many sodas you'll drink, or if you only want or two a day, you can bring soda on board. Me - not worth the trouble for soda... If I'm dying for one, I'll buy it (or grab one on shore). Now if they had a beer card, that would be the bomb! :D

If you're doing tours through the ship, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting back in time. They're typically timed appropriately to get you back. However, there are about 7 million warnings, notifications, etc, on when you need to be back to ship, the final one being as you walk off the ship (big sign says 'be back at blah o clock'). We're going bobsledding, climbing the falls and shopping in Jamaica, and we'll have plenty of time for a few beverages at Margaritaville on the way back to the ship. Just bring a watch so you know what time it is - that's my biggest problem. I always forget!

We've got a few fun things planned for the CC'ers on the cruise - Cabin Crawl, Slot Pull, Lunch, etc - if you're interested. Obviously you don't have to do any or all of them. Just something to do to meet a few fellow cruisers...

Good luck - see ya on board!

- Jill

Going on FOS the week before you are! We'll try not to drink all the boos and eat all the food, but no guarantees!

You will find that everyone has an opinion about your questions, all good by the way. Here's our perspective.

We both get Coke Cards - The $$ they cost spread over the week doesn't amount to much, and getting a coke/whatever when I want one and not having to sign anything is comforting to us - less hassles the better when you are on vacation (Of course we do the RCI shore excursions for the same reason - don't have to worry about geting back, etc. We gladly pay a little extra for the peace of mind; but you got to figure out what matters to you.

I will personally just take a blue blazer, wear a button down shirt and Khaki's and wear a tie for formal night, just because this time I want to dress up a "little bit". You'll see everything, so don't worry - just wear what you want; it's your vacation. I personally won't wear jeans this trip, but that is because of the muggy Caribbean weather. When I've gone in the winter or early spring, I have worn Jeans and a nice golf shirt. You will see alot of Jeans, so if you decide to wear them, you will not be alone.

Smart Casual is the suggestion in the speciality restaurants, and I thought that 2nd and 5th nights were formal nights, but not sure.

Remember this about the dress codes - They are suggested dress codes; not required dress codes. RCL is not going to throw you out unless you come in barefoot, in your swimsuit, or without a shirt.

Enjoy the Cruise!

Going on FOS the week before you are! We'll try not to drink all the boos and eat all the food, but no guarantees!

You will find that everyone has an opinion about your questions, all good by the way. Here's our perspective.

We both get Coke Cards - The $$ they cost spread over the week doesn't amount to much, and getting a coke/whatever when I want one and not having to sign anything is comforting to us - less hassles the better when you are on vacation (Of course we do the RCI shore excursions for the same reason - don't have to worry about geting back, etc. We gladly pay a little extra for the peace of mind; but you got to figure out what matters to you.

I will personally just take a blue blazer, wear a button down shirt and Khaki's and wear a tie for formal night, just because this time I want to dress up a "little bit". You'll see everything, so don't worry - just wear what you want; it's your vacation. I personally won't wear jeans this trip, but that is because of the muggy Caribbean weather. When I've gone in the winter or early spring, I have worn Jeans and a nice golf shirt. You will see alot of Jeans, so if you decide to wear them, you will not be alone.

Smart Casual is the suggestion in the speciality restaurants, and I thought that 2nd and 5th nights were formal nights, but not sure.

Remember this about the dress codes - They are suggested dress codes; not required dress codes. RCL is not going to throw you out unless you come in barefoot, in your swimsuit, or without a shirt.

Enjoy the Cruise!

Try not to drink all the booze...we are going Aug 30th and need our sailaway drink!

We're on the same cruise - may sure you come over to our Roll Call thread if you haven't already, and join the Meet & Mingle. There are literally at least 100 CC'ers on this sailing, and probably more that haven't signed up for the M&M.

Formal nights are the 2nd night of the cruise (1st sea day) and the Grand Cayman day, whichever that one is... Day 5 maybe? See Radio's thread referenced above - around page 19 I think is when he hit Grand Cayman, so he talks about formal night.

If you're not sure how many sodas you'll drink, or if you only want or two a day, you can bring soda on board. Me - not worth the trouble for soda... If I'm dying for one, I'll buy it (or grab one on shore). Now if they had a beer card, that would be the bomb! :D

If you're doing tours through the ship, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting back in time. They're typically timed appropriately to get you back. However, there are about 7 million warnings, notifications, etc, on when you need to be back to ship, the final one being as you walk off the ship (big sign says 'be back at blah o clock'). We're going bobsledding, climbing the falls and shopping in Jamaica, and we'll have plenty of time for a few beverages at Margaritaville on the way back to the ship. Just bring a watch so you know what time it is - that's my biggest problem. I always forget!

We've got a few fun things planned for the CC'ers on the cruise - Cabin Crawl, Slot Pull, Lunch, etc - if you're interested. Obviously you don't have to do any or all of them. Just something to do to meet a few fellow cruisers...

Good luck - see ya on board!

- Jill

Thanks Jill! -you guys are all great! I wish I had come across this site a long time ago!! ... I'll definitely check those threads out and meet you on the boat! I'm sure there will be time to hang out together as there's two full days at sea so plenty of time to do fun stuff.

I also remembered this morning another question. Some people have told me to take Dramamine (sp?) before boarding the ship because sea sickness can happen even with a big boat. I'm don't particularly get sick that easy but would you recommend it? I guess I'll buy a few just in case.

I'm booking 3 out of 4 tours with other companies, BTW. I just liked the variety better and about 1/2 the cost. I guess I'll keep a close eye on the time! ;)

Thanks

Thanks Jill! -you guys are all great! I wish I had come across this site a long time ago!! ... I'll definitely check those threads out and meet you on the boat! I'm sure there will be time to hang out together as there's two full days at sea so plenty of time to do fun stuff.

I also remembered this morning another question. Some people have told me to take Dramamine (sp?) before boarding the ship because sea sickness can happen even with a big boat. I'm don't particularly get sick that easy but would you recommend it? I guess I'll buy a few just in case.

I'm booking 3 out of 4 tours with other companies, BTW. I just liked the variety better and about 1/2 the cost. I guess I'll keep a close eye on the time! ;)

Thanks

If you do not have a history of getting motion sickness then don't expect to be sick on the ship and don't take dramamine unless you get to feeling ill. If you have a history of motion sickness then start taking it the day before. If you get sick go to the top deck where you can see the horizon. That will usually help it pass. Do not go deep in the ship where you cannot see out side, that makes it worse.

I sailed the eastern route on the Freedom and can confirm that formal nights are the 2nd and 6th night. As for getting back on the boat, we were there and boarding generally 30 minutes until departure. Never had a problem.

I tend to stay in port for as long as I can before getting back on the boat. The one time I ever got concerned was in Key West as my companion decided she had "plenty" of time to shop and make it back to the pier. Long story short, we kinda got lost and wound up at the wrong pier. We were running and backtracking to make it over to the correct pier...me carrying all her bags and her heels because she couldn't keep up. :D

We laugh about it now but I was yelling back at her "[G]et your knees up!!! If you run like a girl, we'll miss the boat!!!" I'm sure we were a sight for sore eyes... hahahaha

I would take Bonine, or Non-drowsy Dramamine (both meclizine). Regular Dramamine can make you extremely sleepy.

I would start the night before any travel, otherwise take it at the very first sign of nausea. Nausea is harder to reverse once it's well underway.

Chances are you won't have a problem; it's a huge ship.

On the western route, formal nights are the 2nd and 5th (Grand Cayman) nights. What you are planning to wear sounds fine. We try to mix and match our clothes as much as possible to save on packing. We always shoot to be back onboard ONE HOUR before sailaway. This way we are covered in case we run into a problem (bad traffic, get lost, etc.). Since it is your first cruise, you will probably attend most shows. The one show not to miss is the ice show. It is fantastic.

I sailed the eastern route on the Freedom and can confirm that formal nights are the 2nd and 6th night.

I am 99% sure that when I sailed the Freedom last Thanksgiving the formal nights were on the 2nd and 5th nights. I will check my compasses to be sure tonight. I would really like to nail this one down becasue I want to go to Chops on the second formal night and I made reservations for the 5th night. Maybe I can go check Radio's thread because I am sure it was asked, but I am thinking he did the Western route. :confused:

I am 99% sure that when I sailed the Freedom last Thanksgiving the formal nights were on the 2nd and 5th nights. I will check my compasses to be sure tonight. I would really like to nail this one down becasue I want to go to Chops on the second formal night and I made reservations for the 5th night. Maybe I can go check Radio's thread because I am sure it was asked, but I am thinking he did the Western route. :confused:

grrr yeah I just checked Radio's thread and the 2nd formal night is the 5th! oh well. I guess I'll have 2 formal nights (2nd and 5th), 1 Smart Casual (Chops) on the 6th night and 4 casual ones.

On a different topic, we have young children at home and as the in-laws are staying with them we were wondering what is the best way to call home? will my cell work on the boat? if so, what are the rates? same as calling from out of the US? (I've called from Europe and Mexico before and it usually doesn't amount to more than $3 for a 5-minute call)...

thanks!

grrr yeah I just checked Radio's thread and the 2nd formal night is the 5th! oh well. I guess I'll have 2 formal nights (2nd and 5th), 1 Smart Casual (Chops) on the 6th night and 4 casual ones.

On a different topic, we have young children at home and as the in-laws are staying with them we were wondering what is the best way to call home? will my cell work on the boat? if so, what are the rates? same as calling from out of the US? (I've called from Europe and Mexico before and it usually doesn't amount to more than $3 for a 5-minute call)...

thanks!

I have AT&T and calls are $2.49 per minute while on the ship, so it can get expensive, but it is a lot cheaper than the ship phones. In St. Thomas the calls for AT&T are not any additional fees. One word of caution. I have an Iphone and you will either want to turn off your data or make sure you have international calling and international data. I went to Toronto in April on business and racked up over $300 in additional charges where my email was coming in. :mad: For my cruise in a few weeks I will add international data cause I already have international calling.

Archived