meditteranean with a 1.5 yr old?

mrspaj

hi all! we've been on cruises before and DH's family is starting to plan for grandma's 85th bday cruise in spring 2011. i'm currently pregnant and am concerned about taking a 1 and a half year old on a 14 day cruise (i imagine all the diapers in their own huge suitcase - eep!)

the idea to let baby have a vacay with my parents while we're gone could work except DH's family will prob want baby with - plus two weeks is a long time to be away...though by then i may want it who knows :)

oh - and to add to my concern they're thinking about the medditerranean...wouldn't want an easy domestic trip...

has anyone braved this? any advice, thoughts, warnings (lol)?

thanks!

hi all! we've been on cruises before and DH's family is starting to plan for grandma's 85th bday cruise in spring 2011. i'm currently pregnant and am concerned about taking a 1 and a half year old on a 14 day cruise (i imagine all the diapers in their own huge suitcase - eep!)

the idea to let baby have a vacay with my parents while we're gone could work except DH's family will prob want baby with - plus two weeks is a long time to be away...though by then i may want it who knows :)

oh - and to add to my concern they're thinking about the medditerranean...wouldn't want an easy domestic trip...

thanks!

I know you'll always find plenty of people who will tell you how difficult, impossible, not worth it, etc., it will be. My friends and family - and many CC members - have tried to talk me out of every vacation I've taken with my twin toddlers. I took them alone on a cruise when they were 13 months and found that a cruise is the perfect way to travel with toddlers - and yours sounds like the trip of a lifetime. One thing that is nice is that even though you'll be in foriegn countries, you can have your breakfast and dinner on board where you know it will be easy to feed your tot plenty of healthy food - and in port you can bring packaged foods and snacks. Obviously, it would be nice if you're on a ship that provides some kind of babysitting for a 1-1/2 year old (RCCL comes to mind).

As for diapers I would either buy a box at the port you depart from and just check it onto the ship with your luggage, or fill the outer pockets of your luggage with diapers (you'll be amazed how many fit there). I took lots of week-long trips with my twins when they were both in diapers, and both ways worked well for us.

As long as you know it will be a different kind of trip - easy sightseeing rather than 8 hour tours - I'd do it in a heartbeat. And there's something really nice about going to another country with a small child. Even though you don't see as much, you end up having more interaction with the locals and really enjoying the places you visit rather than rushing from sight to sight.

Best,

Mia

thanks!

Europe is very port intensive and can/is often about all day in port ( 8-12 hours ) and lots of time getting to and from sights. As long as you consider those implications or are okay staying on the boat or tag teaming with your family in different ports. Or simply taking the days in port much more easily, all depending on your kids disposition maybe a 10 hour day might or might not be possible.

I don't agree at all with the previous poster that its really "nice" to visit another country with a small child. I think its more accurate to say its possible to visit and still have a good time. Lets be serious, its much easier and more fun without or when they are older even a bit more to actually enjoy it.

Good luck

I don't agree at all with the previous poster that its really "nice" to visit another country with a small child. I think its more accurate to say its possible to visit and still have a good time. Lets be serious, its much easier and more fun without or when they are older even a bit more to actually enjoy it.

Good luck

I am being serious. :rolleyes: More fun without them? They don't actually enjoy it?

Clearly, we have different opinions - and I'll admit the majority think the way you do. But as someone who has actually done it, I can report that for me foriegn travel with toddlers is as much fun and they actually do enjoy it. It's when they get to be teenagers that I worry about travel ;)

If the OP was asking if she should just book this cruise as a regular vacation, I'd probably go along with suggesting that her family start with a simpler cruise. But since this is a family celebration, my advice is to go and enjoy!

Best,

Mia

My 2.5yo son has been traveling with us since he was 7mo, including a 2wk trip to Brazil at 13mo. We've just come back from a multi-generation(77yo-2yo)family cruise to Alaska last month. I've personally found traveling with him and his 6yo sister no more difficult than most all day excursions at home. And cruising with them is even easier. With food on demand available all day and a pool, what more could a little tyke want?

Pack a week's worth of diapers and buy more in various ports. I love an excuse to check out different grocery markets anyway. When I've traveled internationally with my children, I've seen just how UN-family friendly the US is.

I am being serious. :rolleyes: More fun without them? They don't actually enjoy it?

Clearly' date=' we have different opinions - and I'll admit the majority think the way you do. But as someone who has actually done it, I can report that for me foriegn travel with toddlers is as much fun and they actually do enjoy it. It's when they get to be teenagers that I worry about travel ;)

If the OP was asking if she should just book this cruise as a regular vacation, I'd probably go along with suggesting that her family start with a simpler cruise. But since this is a family celebration, my advice is to go and enjoy!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I've traveled lots with 1, then 2, then 3 anywhere from when they were 6 months old crossing the country to when they were 3 half way cross the globe. Did i still have a good time, yes. Was there more overhead, no question yes. Do I have even more fun now that they are 8, 13, and 15 not even a question. Are there more constraints, worries, overhead when they are 1.5 of course, less so when they are 5 yes.

Would I choose a European when they are 1.5 likely less so then a Disney or beach intensive. Would it stop me from taking a family reunion, no.

But lets be serious anyone who says its easy is BSing. Can you have fun and it be fun, of course :D

You will need to make adjustments. Some real concerns will be how the baby will handle the time change. It can be terribly difficult for an infant to handle a 6 hour time change and you could have a very cranky child for a few days. You will have to also see how the child handles flying. I recently returned from a 9 hour flight and one child cried for nearly the entire flight---there were many very unhappy passengers on that flight. The Med can be terribly hot and very humid---young ones can get very overheated very quickly. If your cruise stops in ports like Florence and Rome, the ride from the port to the city is long and hot---over 90 minutes--and European buses are not air conditioned like we're used to. And I'm not sure how an infant would handle a 10 to 12 hour trip, which is how long most of the tours are in Rome and Florence. Remember a cruise ship does not have a pediatrician on board, so if your child has any kind of health issues, that can be a problem. You will also need to see if your child is a crier at night. Those cabin walls are very thin and you could have unhappy neighbors for two weeks. Depending on what line you're on, you may have to bring everything with you, including food. That can be a huge hassle for two weeks.

Can it be done? Sure, with a lot of planning and to be honest, a lot of compromise on your part. Being a parent means giving up some things for the comfort of the child so that may mean not seeing all the ports as much as you could without a child. It may require taking turns staying on the ship. But only you can decide if your child will be able to handle a trip as big as this.

We've just completed a 14 Western European cruise with our 18 month old - albeit to and from Southampton (UK), which is great for us as we are Brits.

Clearly packing will be much more of an issue for you than for us, but I'd second one of the other posters in that you should consider bringing a minimum amount of stuff and then buy the rest over here, either when you arrive or along the way. Southampton is actually a really good example - the cruise terminal is right next to a huge shopping complex, which includes Asda (Wall Mart to you!) and even a Mothercare (baby store), so you could literally do all of you baby shopping AND buy some luggage to put it in before boarding. Given how international brands are, its likely that you could pretty find much everything you'd buy at home.

As far as whether your child will like it...well, we cruised this summer in the knowledge that most of the ports were already fairly well known to us. We felt that it would be unfair for him to be schlepped round in his pram all day, especially in the heat, and frankly there is only so far he would want to walk. We managed a few hours in each port, but were generally fairly unabmitious in where we went so our expectations were low. We stayed on board at Rome, as the city is over an hour away from the port - we just didn't bother.

I suspect you will want to see as much as you can:D. So, you will need do one of the following:

1. Bite the bullet and take junior with

2. Leave junior behind with a family member (and hope that one of them wants to stay on board!)

3. Leave junior behind in the nursery, although AFAIK only Cunard will allow you to leave an under-2 year old

Good luck!

JFH

We are stationed in Spain, and have a 10-month old. She has been back to the States (twice), to Portugal, Paris, Venice, and Morocco. And we are planning a cruise in October. In general, people in the Med love babies. We have met some wonderful people, and had more interactions with locals since we had her than traveling before. We have more fun now than before. It depends on what you are looking for, but that has been our experience.

We stuff the suitcases with diapers, and always take plenty in our carry-on (they lost our luggage for a while on the way to Venice). We accept the fact that people will touch her, and make a big deal out of her. Go on your trip, and have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost ashamed to say this but I have a 6 month old baby and for professional reasons we had to travel a lot, so she's already traveled twice to Paris and once to Brazil, for nearly one month! I had no problems with her, she doesn't even understand she's getting inside the plane. By now she's traveled so much by plane that she doesn't even find it a strange place. In Brazil we had to travel a lot by plane and there was a problem in one of the flights, she wouldn't stop crying, I think they sometimes have a hard time with their ears. So now, going on a cruise, which was something we had already planned before we knew we had to go Brazil, just seems so easy to do and so "soft" when compared to all the heavy traveling we had to do in Brasil. I think kids are always fine as long as we are fine and don't stress too much. It just needs a lot of preparation, planning and sometimes a bit of improvising as well.

As I always like to say each child is different. I think a child who is not very fussy and who likes to sit still might do fine in the Mediterranean. But one who doesn't like to sit in say a stroller and wants to try to move all around might have a tough time there. I am not sure when you are planning to go but I would try to avoid July and August if that is possible as the ports of call are very crowded and it is very hot and humid.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

It's not such a crazy thing to consider! We took our son on a Mediterranean cruise last year, when he was 18 months old. It was a fantastic trip (crazy time zone changes and all) and I have no reservations about recommending a similar trip to someone else.

Our itinerary was port intensive (12 nights) and we did chose some of the longer excursions offered (i.e. the Cairo/pyramid stop in Egypt is about 12 hours long, about 4 hours of which is driving on a bus). We also took a few "easy" days where we lazed around by the pool and had the ship more or less to ourselves. Our son really enjoyed seeing the different places and things and he certainly slept very well each night! :)

One consideration you may wish to make is purchasing a seat for him/her for the trip over the ocean - even if the little one sleeps on your lap the whole time, the extra room is worth it! We didn't do this, but if I were to do it over again this is one change I would make.

I also concur with the previous poster who suggested putting diapers in the outside suitcase pockets - this is our preferred method of packing them and we have always come home with some left over. :)

thanks!

I'm not sure how to say this, but the bottom line is that what you and your DH want should far outweigh what his family wants with regard to bringing or not bringing your child, IMO. I have no idea if it might be an issue, but if so, please do not let them "nag" you into it one way or the other. It must be your choice as parents whether it's right for you and your child. It's true that 2 weeks is a long time to be away, but you make a good point that you may be ready for that by then. There is no shame--none--in wanting to have time just with your DH. And there is nothing at all wrong with allowing your parents to be the "oh goody, we get to spoil our grandbaby!" grandparents they will likely want to be. If it's what you and your DH decide is best and if your parents are onboard with the idea, then that's what you should do. I realize that your DH's family might be disappointed, but it may be that your baby turns out to not be a great traveler at that age (not all are). If wouldn't be a good cruise for any of you if your child is miserable the entire time because you would no doubt be miserable and probably exhausted too. OTOH, if your baby is a good traveler, easy going, and you feel it's right, then by all means take him or her and have a blast.

You've gotten some good advice, especially to be flexible and have no "expectations" other than having a lovely cruise. It certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a cruise where you spend a fair amount of time just relaxing and enjoying letting someone else cook the meals, clean up, make the bed, and take care of all the little things. That in itself is a break many parents love and cherish about cruising with their children.

Truly though, you won't know how your child will handle travel until he or she is actually here. Regardless, you should plan "practice" trips of short stays for a night or two to see how it goes. Starting travel with a 14 night cruise in the Med without knowing how your then-toddler handles travel, being away from familiar surroundings, and changes in diet and schedule is probably not the best thing to do, IMO. You needn't make your decision until you and your DH know you are making the right one for the three of you and no one else.

It's true that almost all ships do not allow non-potty trained or incontinent passengers (of any age) in the pools due to health regulations, but some parents recommend bringing a tiny blow up pool that can be used on the balcony or out of the way on a pool deck. Remember that you can buy diapers and other needs in ports along the way, so you won't need to bring a trunkful from home! Do bring OTC medications and sippy cups and more clothes than you think you need (or budget for laundry--that's what I recommend) and at least a few toys/blankies from home (for continuity). Do try to keep a reasonable schedule and plan plenty of "down" time/naps (for the baby, you, and your DH). If at all possible, have a balcony cabin and preferably the largest you can afford because you'll appreciate the space and the balcony makes a great "getaway" for you and your DH while your child naps/rests. Don't try to cram in everything you want to do or plan excursions that will be too much (e.g., a 10-hour bus tour is not a good choice for a 1.5-y/o--I don't care how "easy" they are, they are not old enough for things like that). Do let other family members help with childcare if they offer, but don't expect that they will. (Although, in my experience, you will not be lacking in volunteers to allow you and your DH to have couples time.)

Congratulations! I hope you have wonderful adventures, including cruises, in the years to come.

beachchick

• 6 months later...

First, congratulations on your soon to be arrival! It sounds like this could be a wonderful family experience for you, as long as you go into with an open mind. I agree with what everyone else is saying - go not expecting much, and then if you are able to do a lot and see the sights you will be pleasantly surprised. We have three kids, ages 3, 5, and 7, and have been travelling extensively for the past two and a half years. Our three year old is now on his third passport! We are a diplomatic family so we have to travel a fair amount for work, and rather than leave the kids behind, we take them with us when we can and let them experience all the world has to offer. I think it has taught them a lot, even at such a young age, like tolerance, acceptance of others, being open to new foods, etc. Some kids are easier than others, no doubt, but even the most difficult of babies can still get plenty of enjoyment out of travel. Most of the ports may have fabulous history, museums, etc to see, but they almost always have beaches, zoos, and other kid-friendly attractions. Take what you can from the holiday and enjoy it thouroughly. But I agree with another poster, if you can persuade the family to look for a cruise liner that allows babies in the childcare programs (there aren't many), or alternatively if you can afford to bring along a babysitter from home, you will be able to get that much more from the experience. My good friends have taken a few cruises and have taken their 16 year old babysitter with them. They had the teens parents do up a letter permitting her to travel with them, and paid all her expenses, with the understanding that evenings she would stay in their cabin with the baby. Most of the time, she travelled in the ports with them, but occassionally that wasn't possible so she stayed on the ship and took care of their toddler. It was a win win situation for all of them, and the teen was thrilled at the opportunity to travel, even if she missed out on some of the experiences. It might seem an extreme option to some, but if it is affordable to you, the benefit of having someone familiar onboard to care for your child could be worth it.

I say go for it and enjoy. You may be pleasantly surprised and find that cruising is the perfect family holiday!

Archived