Vancouver (YVR) Saturday Chaos

mrmac

How does a person find out how many cruise ships will be in the Vancouver port on Friday, Sept. 11th? I think the US Direct cut off time is 11:30 am and later flights. Right now we have one of our party leaving at 11:50 am. Northwest keeps making her time earlier. Everytime I look it up I am so worried her time will be made earlier still!! The rest of us got pushed back from 12 noon to 1 pm. If she needs to get herself to the airport do we just tell the cruiseline? Will they assign her to an early time to get off? We did pay for tranfer for all of us.

Wow I can't believe this is the same airport as our experience on Saturday, July 4 was the complete opposite of what is described here. We thought it was wonderful. Yes we did have to walk a ways after turning in our rental car but we used the free luggage carts which are very helpful.

We got to the airport several hours in advance of our flight and were not forced to wait. The lines were non-existent when we arrived around 2 p.m. and even though we were really early, they didn't hesitate to let us check in and go through.

The airport is beautiful and clean with lots of nice shops and eating establishments. We did a little last minute shopping, had an early dinner and waited for our flight in total comfort.

Perhaps because we are used to flying in and out of a crowded, busy airport like LAX, we are a bit less judgmental, but I have to say I found YVR to be a pleasure to travel through.

Thanks PennyAgain! You always give good advise and I love the information that you have given in your posts. BTW I use to live in Ft. Worth many years ago.:eek:

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Fort Worth has changed very little.

You have many advantages traveling late in the season. Sales in the shops! No massive crowds.

I have waited plenty long at Vancouver but have always made my flights....knock on wood. It goes faster if you have your own pen and can fill in forms without loosing your place in line. When I get tired I just sit on the floor.

You will see people with HUGE trolleys of baggage. Going through all that takes a lot of time.

Yes, there is good airport shopping including book stores. That and a Tim Horton's and I'm as happy as a clam. (why do we say that?)

You can't get lost and can't go the wrong way. Just follow the line and you will be fine. Have a fantastic trip!

"may be the monumental delays at the Vancouver Waitport"

I doubt that the elite US athletes will do any waiting at all - they we be given preferential treatment by the Olympic organizers and USDHS personel - I am sure you wouldn't want to be around the airport when all the metal detectors start going off as those silver and bronze medals have to be scanned - oh I forgot - the gold medals - won't be a problem because us Canadians are laying claim to them.

The European and athletics from countries other than the US won't have to wait unless they are flying into US Cities because they don't have to now.

And unlike with 6000 cruisers trying to get through customs and security to catch the earliest and in many cases cheapest flights home most of the participants and their supporters will be staggering their departure times and days.

Cheers

Dennis

Now Dennis, be nice! You know that us American's are not use to waiting in line and being inconvenienced! :eek: As for the Gold Medals? Ahhhhh, we shall see! :D

Smiles......Kitty (Nan)

"may be the monumental delays at the Vancouver Waitport"

I doubt that the elite US athletes will do any waiting at all - they we be given preferential treatment by the Olympic organizers and USDHS personel - I am sure you wouldn't want to be around the airport when all the metal detectors start going off as those silver and bronze medals have to be scanned - oh I forgot - the gold medals - won't be a problem because us Canadians are laying claim to them.

The European and athletics from countries other than the US won't have to wait unless they are flying into US Cities because they don't have to now.

And unlike with 6000 cruisers trying to get through customs and security to catch the earliest and in many cases cheapest flights home most of the participants and their supporters will be staggering their departure times and days.

Cheers

Dennis

Hate to disagree with you Dennis, but if the Vancouver Olympics are anything like the Calgary ones - the airport will be a zoo the day after the closing ceremonies. While all the athletes, spectators, press folks, etc. staggered their arrival times - everyone tried to leave on the same day. The airport was a horrendous mass of people, and that was before all the security we have to deal with now!!!!

Fort Worth has changed very little.

You have many advantages traveling late in the season. Sales in the shops! No massive crowds.

I have waited plenty long at Vancouver but have always made my flights....knock on wood. It goes faster if you have your own pen and can fill in forms without loosing your place in line. When I get tired I just sit on the floor.

You will see people with HUGE trolleys of baggage. Going through all that takes a lot of time.

Yes, there is good airport shopping including book stores. That and a Tim Horton's and I'm as happy as a clam. (why do we say that?)

You can't get lost and can't go the wrong way. Just follow the line and you will be fine. Have a fantastic trip!

Yes, I doubt that Ft. Worth would change much. Loved it there when I lived there. I worked in Dallas, but all my neighbors couldn't get over the fact that I would drive the I-30 to Dallas in all that traffic. I think I showed down to 50mph at one time. As a native Californian in LA and San Diego I was use to parking lot Freeways. My next door neighbors had grown up in Ft. Worth and had never been to Dallas!:eek:

If I don't have a cart and I lug my luggage, I just turn it on the side and sit on it. There are ways to get through it without getting all upset!

Yes, I love going at the end of the season. September and October are my faorite months to travel. Less crowds, better sales and just to be out of the hot weather. When I get back I will be traveling to Wisconsin to visit friends. Ahhhhh those Fall colors, that we don't get here in San Diego!

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

I have been through this airport many times and have never been held up extraordinary long by either US or Canadian Customs.

But you are held up by people collecting fees and two sets of customs agencies and on Saturday which is probably their busiest day. Put it all together and it is called wait.

I have never been held up unduly either however there is no question that it does happen on Saturday mornings when there are 3 and sometimes 4 ships in town. The airport improvement fee is no longer collected directly from the pax at the airport, it is now haromoized with other taxes and fees and added to tht cost of the ticket, so that is a non-starter.

The issue lies completely at the feet of the US government I am certain no one in the YVR authority wants people standing in line...if anything they want these people spending their time at YVR shopping at the stores or in the bars and restaurants of the airport facility.

The airlines can not accept your luggage at the check-in counter; at any customs I have ever passed through you must have your luggage with you in the event the customs officer wants to inspect same and this is quite a different inspection then what is required under TSA regs.....so that is a non starter.

The DHS officers can spend as much time or as little time with a pax as they wish. There is nothing anyone can do to speed them up, they are the final authority. If every DHS station is not maned....well that is not YVR's fault it's DHS's. You are in fact charged a fee on your ticket which is remited to DHS for providing this service to you.

The only possible thing that is even remotely in the control of YVR is the security inspection. However these contracted people must comply with TSA regulations or the plane(s) may not fly into the US. Again these are TSA's regulations not YVR's or the Canadian government's. Having said that I have never found the security lineups at YVR any worse than they are in LAS or LAX in fact often much shorter....but again if I have flown on a morning when there are a number of cruise ships in town I have always been ahead of the rush.

I simply cannot see how YVR can or should be chastised for something that is entirely out of their control....to me it is clearly in the control of the agencies of the US government and that is where effected people should make their thoughts known. To vent in this type of a forum will do no good at all.

I have never been held up unduly either however there is no question that it does happen on Saturday mornings when there are 3 and sometimes 4 ships in town. The airport improvement fee is no longer collected directly from the pax at the airport, it is now haromoized with other taxes and fees and added to tht cost of the ticket, so that is a non-starter.

The issue lies completely at the feet of the US government I am certain no one in the YVR authority wants people standing in line...if anything they want these people spending their time at YVR shopping at the stores or in the bars and restaurants of the airport facility.

The airlines can not accept your luggage at the check-in counter; at any customs I have ever passed through you must have your luggage with you in the event the customs officer wants to inspect same and this is quite a different inspection then what is required under TSA regs.....so that is a non starter.

The DHS officers can spend as much time or as little time with a pax as they wish. There is nothing anyone can do to speed them up, they are the final authority. If every DHS station is not maned....well that is not YVR's fault it's DHS's. You are in fact charged a fee on your ticket which is remited to DHS for providing this service to you.

The only possible thing that is even remotely in the control of YVR is the security inspection. However these contracted people must comply with TSA regulations or the plane(s) may not fly into the US. Again these are TSA's regulations not YVR's or the Canadian government's. Having said that I have never found the security lineups at YVR any worse than they are in LAS or LAX in fact often much shorter....but again if I have flown on a morning when there are a number of cruise ships in town I have always been ahead of the rush.

I simply cannot see how YVR can or should be chastised for something that is entirely out of their control....to me it is clearly in the control of the agencies of the US government and that is where effected people should make their thoughts known. To vent in this type of a forum will do no good at all.

I totally agreee with you Putterdude!

Smiles......Kitty (Nan)

The kicker is that when you fly, there are taxes charged by the USA to enter the USA, whereas Canada charges no such taxes.

And if you think the US staffing is bad at the airport, today's traffic reports for the two major crossings between WA and BC as reported just before I sat down;

BC 99/I5 Douglas (aka Peace Arch) Crossing:

Southbound (into USA): 90 mins

Northbound (into Canada): 5-10 mins

BC 15/SR 543 Pacific Hwy (aka Truck) Crossing

Southbound (into USA): 60 mins

Northbound (into Canada): 5-10 mins

You tell me which country is making it tough on people. I've really had my fill of Americans complaining that it's Canada's fault that the US DHS cannot do their job in a timely manner.

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index.asp

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

Shannon Ireland preclears to the USA. I'm sure there are others. I would much rather preclear at Vancouver than stand in lines to clear at DFW.

You got that right PennyAgain. I have had to deal with DFW. Terrible.

Again people quit complaining and pointing fingers. Everyone has their problems with airports. Just relax, take a deep breath! Count to 100....sit on your suitcase! Hum a tune....You can't change it so get the knot out of your knickers!

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Scott - remember many people in the Excited States of America still think that some of the culprits in 9/11 came from Canada including the new Secretary of DHS who had to be corrected on that fact after facing a firestorm of criticism for such an untrue statement.

Are you looking forward to Canada Line on Monday - gonna give it a try but Translink is warning of one hour waits during the free period on Monday.

Cheers

Dennis

Nan, my next suitcase purchase is going to be a Walkin' brand bag as you can sit on them! Magellans.com has these bags on their WEB site.

I travel so much I've learned to be as calm as possible. The younger members of the family talked me into getting an IPod and using it I really don't care how long I wait.

Scott - remember many people in the Excited States of America still think that some of the culprits in 9/11 came from Canada including the new Secretary of DHS who had to be corrected on that fact after facing a firestorm of criticism for such an untrue statement.

Yes, I remember. I did think that one of the culprits entered the USA from Canada, (as allowed by the US C&I); but the DHS trying to say that was Canada's fault.

Are you looking forward to Canada Line on Monday - gonna give it a try but Translink is warning of one hour waits during the free period on Monday.

I'll be there w/ my camera to take photos. Drove Cambie St today all the way from bridge to Marine, looks pretty good, although I do think Translink need a better logo to mark the station entrances, like the M in paris, or Roudel in London.

Nan, my next suitcase purchase is going to be a Walkin' brand bag as you can sit on them! Magellans.com has these bags on their WEB site.

I travel so much I've learned to be as calm as possible. The younger members of the family talked me into getting an IPod and using it I really don't care how long I wait.

Hmmmm I will have to look into that. I too travel a great deal and calm is the word. It takes so much less energy to stay calm than get all upset at things you can not change.

Smiles..........Kitty (Nan)

Wow...I can't believe how hot and bothered people are getting on this thread.

The reality is that long lines are part of travelling these days. End of.

If you do not like it, do not travel.

If you choose to travel, just chill out. There will be instances where the rules/policies/laws do not make sense, or where you will encounter rude and stupid staff, or arrogant customs/immigration officers, or the airport's too hot, or too crowded, or (insert complaint here)...There is plenty of blame to go around, but does it really matter? Really?

What people need to realize is this is the reality these days, and you can not do anything about it. Don't risk having a coronary and just go with the flow. And try to always plan ahead. Maybe bring a book to read while standing in line, and get a bottle of water in case you get thirsty. Bottom line is, be prepared to wait in line after line after line. That is just the reality of travel these days.

Wow...I can't believe how hot and bothered people are getting on this thread.

The reality is that long lines are part of travelling these days. End of.

If you do not like it, do not travel.

If you choose to travel, just chill out. There will be instances where the rules/policies/laws do not make sense, or where you will encounter rude and stupid staff, or arrogant customs/immigration officers, or the airport's too hot, or too crowded, or (insert complaint here)...There is plenty of blame to go around, but does it really matter? Really?

What people need to realize is this is the reality these days, and you can not do anything about it. Don't risk having a coronary and just go with the flow. And try to always plan ahead. Maybe bring a book to read while standing in line, and get a bottle of water in case you get thirsty. Bottom line is, be prepared to wait in line after line after line. That is just the reality of travel these days.

Spot on! That is what I have been saying. Go with the flow. Relax and just chill out!

Smiles..........Kitty (Nan)

Okay I took your advice last night - two draft beers with friends for dinner and then 2 of something called double killer Kool Aid - volka and other ingredients - carried a puch and now I am a mellow local guy nursing a minor hangover and celebrating the come back victory of our football team last night - GO LIONS GO !!!!

Cheers

Dennis

I've really had my fill of Americans complaining that it's Canada's fault that the US DHS cannot do their job in a timely manner.

Thank you. I feel the same way. This negativity is spreading like wildfire and I fear all people will hear is it's "Vancouver's fault". It's just so sad. I've read people on other threads say they will never fly through Vancouver again, they will never come here again, etc. So sad that this is what our legacy is turning out to be.

Thank you. I feel the same way. This negativity is spreading like wildfire and I fear all people will hear is it's "Vancouver's fault". It's just so sad. I've read people on other threads say they will never fly through Vancouver again, they will never come here again, etc. So sad that this is what our legacy is turning out to be.

You will never hear that from this American. Don't put us all in a box.:( I have been through Vancouver before and it is no different than any other airport that I have been in. Some days it is good and other days it is bad, same as any other airport all over the world.

I have learned with all the traveling I do, to take it in stride, relax and not expend energy that you have no control over.

There are times here at the San Deigo airport that it can be very frustrating as they don't have enough TSA agents in security at times. When this happens, it happens. It doesn't do any good to get your BP up and you knickers in a knot.:eek:

Smiles..........Kitty (Nan):D

I think Putterdude and ScottBee make some good points when they are being serious about this subject. If most of this problem at YVR is caused by US DHS then we Americans should be writing to our representatives to get this system changed, because it is not working. We should not stand idlely by and chalk it up to the times we live in. There is much improvement needed here. People do make a difference and change can happen.

But I still don't think YVR officials should stand for the present system either. They share responsibility. It's their airport, not the DHS. They approved the process and are witnesses to the fact that it's a mess. They have leverage here, too. Many airports have busy periods and get thousands of people during a short period. It makes no matter that they're coming off ships. If they have the flight capacity, then they should have the capacity to get them on the planes in an efficient manner.

I am amazed at those who seem to blame the poor folks stuck in the lines. Many, many of them them are seniors and children. You show very little humanity. Try taking your 83 year old mother through here, dragging her luggage, sweatting in an endless hot line with no water for over 2 hours and see how you feel. It's not a pleasant stroll through the mall listening to your iPod & reading a book. Your hands are full of luggage, carry ons, tickets, flight vouchers, passports that are checked 3 times, etc. All you can think of is, "There's got to be a better way."

We love Canada and we love Vancouver, and so does every American we've ever seen here. It makes no sense for Canadians to be upset with Americans complaining about a broken system. Yes, we should be complaining to our government officials and you should be to yours, too. You do not want this to happen during the Olympics.

I am amazed at those who seem to blame the poor folks stuck in the lines. Many, many of them them are seniors and children. You show very little humanity. Try taking your 83 year old mother through here, dragging her luggage, sweatting in an endless hot line with no water for over 2 hours and see how you feel. It's not a pleasant stroll through the mall listening to your iPod & reading a book. Your hands are full of luggage, carry ons, tickets, flight vouchers, passports that are checked 3 times, etc. All you can think of is, "There's got to be a better way."

No one is blaming the poor folks in line. We have all been in those lines.

I will be the first to agree with you that if we are unhappy about something, we should do something about it rather than just sitting idly by. Scotbee's given you a lot of contact addresses so maybe you can write to the people responsible and maybe you will effect change. Maybe not. But at least you got it off your chest, and you will feel that you have at least done something about it.

In the meantime, while the bureaucrats are trying to figure out what to do and how to respond to your concerns, I think you should just learn to deal with it. In other words, face the reality that there will be long line ups. If you have older parents, then try to arrange for a wheelchair. If you have a lot of luggage, take a quick look around your surroundings and you will soon realize "hey! free luggage carts! How about I get one and put my luggage on them so that my hands are not full?" If you want to be able to find a way to make the wait seem a lot less, then bring a book or an ipod. These may seem like novel ideas to you, but in my world, they are called common sense approaches.

Be prepared, do some research, chill out, and as my Nan Kitty says, do not get your knickers in a twist. We are not stupid and we know the harsh realities of travel because we have all been there. The difference is that we know we can't do anything about it while we are standing in line at the airport. But we also know that we can probably effect change by complaining to the right people; i.e. the authorities responsible for these operations. AND we also know not to go to a cruise forum and tell the world that people at YVR should be shot. Seriously!?! What an absolute moronic thing to say. I'd be careful uttering those words if I were you.... Yes, you probably said those words in jest, and they were probably borne out of frustration, but even so...tut-tut.

But I still don't think YVR officials should stand for the present system either. They share responsibility. It's their airport, not the DHS. They approved the process and are witnesses to the fact that it's a mess. They have leverage here, too. Many airports have busy periods and get thousands of people during a short period. It makes no matter that they're coming off ships. If they have the flight capacity, then they should have the capacity to get them on the planes in an efficient manner.

You seem to think that other countries in the world have a choice. These procedures are laid down by the USA, and you have two choices, follow or don't allow flights to the USA.

Archived