Two Seats

saldino

Has anyone ever bought two seats ...to have that extra seat for comfort or just as a buffer from other passengers?

If so, tell us about it. How is it specified on your ticket? Has anyone remarked on it? Would you do it again? Any other comments?

Thanks.

I have friends who do this regularly on several airlines. They always make their reservations by phone. I have no idea whether this is necessary or not.

None of the airlines they use give frequent flier credit for the extra seat (they buy three seats for the two of them), although they have SOMETIMES gotten credit by writing/nudging. Some of the airlines give a baggage allowance for the "extra" seat and some do not.

so far, what's worked for my wife and I is that when we select our seats on-line at time of purchase, we select the isle seat and the window seat. Middle seat is empty. We also pick a row as far back as possible.

I mean, who is going to actually select a middle seat for themselves.

It works about 70% of the time.

so far, what's worked for my wife and I is that when we select our seats on-line at time of purchase, we select the isle seat and the window seat. Middle seat is empty. We also pick a row as far back as possible.

For the 30% it doesn't work do you usually swap with the stranger who ended up in the middle?

LOL I thought I was the only one who does things like this.... so far it has worked for us also.

i have a question about buying 3 seats but only using 2. If the flight is full, I hope no one would expect you to give up the empty seat. I think this is an alternative to first class too but I wonder if that could happen? I think a person would have to keep a close eye on the flight so that they don't change seating plans as they are known to do.

i have a question about buying 3 seats but only using 2. If the flight is full, I hope no one would expect you to give up the empty seat. I think this is an alternative to first class too but I wonder if that could happen? I think a person would have to keep a close eye on the flight so that they don't change seating plans as they are known to do.

If they took your seat, you would have to be reimbursed for it; after all, you paid for it. I keep a close eye on all my reservations for seat changes, so that's probably a good idea.

I have an aunt that do this on longer trips. She stated that it's cheaper than first class often and she have the room to really relax.

Now on one of her trips to London, there was a couple who wanted to sit together and the guy moved to the extra seat. My aunt told him that it was her seat also, the guy got rude saying she's couldn't make him move out of an empty seat. She rang for the fa and showed her boarding passes for both seats. When the fa told the guy that she had paid for both seats and that he had to move, he and the girlfriend was upset.

----------------

Now playing: Joe Johnson - Didn't Cha Know

via FoxyTunes

But he was clearly in the wrong. Why are some people such total idiots? :rolleyes:

One reason is that it pays off for them so many times! Lots of times a harried FA will just not get involved in these situations and let the wrongdoer remain in the seat. People seem to do anything to avoid confrontation. Reinforcement is a powerful tool.

One of the companies I flew for some years ago routinely had musician passengers; the poor old cellists had to pay for two seats if their precious instruments were to be safe. One of our regulars always ate two meals per flight on the basis that he had bought two tickets; quite right too!! On one occasion I asked the cabin crew to award his cello a bottle of champagne as the best behaved passenger - much appreciated, if not by the cello!

I'm confused as to why so many people have said it is a cheaper alternative to first class.

The seat pitch is the same, the extra seat width isn't all that beneficial since the seating cushion isn't designed with being used as a wide area like that in domestic F. Plus you have the same old economy gripes; people reclining into you etc.

Considering you've spent 50% extra between two people for the extra room you might as well spend a touch more and get first class seating. More often that not it isn't nearly as expensive as people think it is, especially on routes with lots of leisure passengers which coincide with a lot of cruise ports.

Considering you've spent 50% extra between two people for the extra room you might as well spend a touch more and get first class seating. More often that not it isn't nearly as expensive as people think it is, especially on routes with lots of leisure passengers which coincide with a lot of cruise ports.

:eek: Be vewy vewy quiet. Keep spilling secrets and we'll have to start paying more. :D

Lots of times a harried FA will just not get involved in these situations and let the wrongdoer remain in the seat. People seem to do anything to avoid confrontation.
Unfortunately, that's cabin crew not doing their jobs properly. If only passengers were more alive to what the cabin crew are primarily there to do - and it's not serving food and drink, important though that is when there is some.

Archived