Lack of cruises and high prices

Is there anyone else who thinks that the variety of cruises in the caribbean has diminished and the prices have stayed high? I am looking for a cruise after the new year (January/February) and the options on all cruise lines are not great and the prices are not either. I know the late fall is the best time for prices but I have cruised for the last couple of years after the new year and have been able to get some good prices. I have noticed the last couple of years the number of caribbean cruises have been reduced.

I can´t comment on the choice of cruises and prices for the caribbean in Jan/Feb. as it´s not my time to cruise and and I´m not the least bit interested in the caribbean as a destination.

Anyway I think it´s the simple matter of supply and demand. If the cruise lines feel there´s too many ships sailing and they have to reduce prices, they will cut the supply to push up the demand on the remaining supply to keep prices up.

I booked the Voyager of The Seas in January for $500 a person after Crown & Anchor discounts.

I still see plenty of Caribbean cruises, but there are much less out of San Juan which limits the numbers of ports they can hit. The continental US starting ports are much more profitable for them because people can avoid paying for the pricey plane ticket to San Juan and many can just drive to the ship from their home state. (Galveston, TX; New Orleans, LA; Mobile, AL; Florida)

You might also check out the Vision of the Seas out of Santo Domingo if you want a different itiinerary. Prices will always be subject to the law of supply and demand so if the prices are what you consider high, it must be that enough others don't agree with your assessment and are continuing to book those cruises. Keep looking at the prices and if you find a bargain don't hesitate to book. It may take a bit of effort to find an itinerary that you like and a price you are willing to pay, but it can be done.:)

The problem with Caribbean cruises being so much "been there, done that" is going to get worse before it gets better. As more and more cruise lines build bigger and bigger ships, they are limited by size alone in being able to dock at some of the more attractive islands. This means more and more passengers dumped on fewer islands on the same day crowding an already overburdened infrastructure. We have scratched Caribbean cruises from any consideration:(

Archived