anyone brought pearls in Mallorca?

dutchclogs

I assume you realize that "Mallorca Pearls" are not really pearls at all, but rather a man-made pearl-like substance. I believe anything bought in Majorca (or anywhere else in Spain) includes a 16% Value Added Tax which often makes the goods more expensive than if you bought them elsewhere. In Europe, you would probably find that so-called Majorca Pearls (remember, they are fake) would be cheaper in the tax-free port of Gibraltar. You should also check the price of the identical product in the USA where there is no VAT.

Hank

Thanks for the info.!

I assume you realize that "Mallorca Pearls" are not really pearls at all, but rather a man-made pearl-like substance. I believe anything bought in Majorca (or anywhere else in Spain) includes a 16% Value Added Tax which often makes the goods more expensive than if you bought them elsewhere. In Europe, you would probably find that so-called Majorca Pearls (remember, they are fake) would be cheaper in the tax-free port of Gibraltar. You should also check the price of the identical product in the USA where there is no VAT.

Hank

I was wondering t.he same thing...I looked for the info. but couldn't find it, can you tell me what you found out? Thanks!

Found thread 'pearls in Palma' dated 6 June on Other Mediterranean Ports board: as earlier poster has already highlighted, pearls are cultured, not 'real'. That said, as such they are very good quality and wear well. It seems that the factory shops are more expensive than retail outlets in Palma

BTW, just curious, can't Americans claim the VAT back? (not an option for me alas)

Thanks for the reply!...I have no idea about reclaiming the VAT back??? Just thought they would be a nice gift, maybe I can find a deal!

Found thread 'pearls in Palma' dated 6 June on Other Mediterranean Ports board: as earlier poster has already highlighted, pearls are cultured, not 'real'. That said, as such they are very good quality and wear well. It seems that the factory shops are more expensive than retail outlets in Palma

BTW, just curious, can't Americans claim the VAT back? (not an option for me alas)

They are good quality and wear well, they are nice to look at and the colour is good too. And there is a huge selection of sizes and styles to choose from. I bought two strands, one "choker" length, one longer and both have kept their appearance since the late 80's. Although I do not often wear them they are stored in the original red boxes they came in, so maybe that helps.

We have seen much smaller selections of them for sale in many countries around the world, so I guess they are either the biggest Majorcan export or one of them.

Let me try to clear-up a myth about Majorca Pearls. To put it bluntly, they are not Pearls or even Cultured Pearls but rather fake Pearls. In fact, they are not even manufactured on Majorca. Here is a description of the process:

"Majorca Pearls is a brand name for a type of fake pearl. They were originally manufactured on the island of Majorca in the Mediterranean, but are now made in Spain. The company uses a glass bead and coats the surface with a paste made from North Atlantic fish scales to make the imitation surface look like a real pearl. The bottom line is that a Majorca Pearl is fake and is not a pearl at all."

Cultured Pearls, unlike Majorca Pearls are made by real Pearl Oysters with a little help from humans who "encourage" the oyster to make a pearl by introducing a foreign substance into the pearl.

The best pearl collections we have seen around the world were in Bejing, China where you can get great sea water pearls, fresh water pearls, or cultured pearls at bargain pricess. If you want good fake pearls than certainly consider Majorca Pearls, but please understand that they are not real pearls.

Hank

WE went on a ship tour to the caves that included a stop at the pearl factory.I had brought with me from dallas Tx an ad from Nieman Marcus that had pictures of Mallorca pearls and the prices. Niemans was Much less than the so called factory prices , in fact more than 50% less. know your prices before you buy.WE showed our ad to the pearl factory manager and he said Niemans pearls were fake mallorca pearls. what a good laugh we all had.

as earlier poster has already highlighted, pearls are cultured, not 'real'.

As Hlitner stated, Mallorica "pearls" are neither cultured nor real pearls. They are ground-up pearl powder glued to beads. They can be pretty, but don't pay a lot. You can get round freshwater pearls, or even duty-free saltwater pearls, for a good price in most ports or online nowadays.

Yes, if you're willing to do some paperwork. Make sure you get the documentation from the merchant. There is a minimum purchase amount, and frankly, if you paid that much for fake pearls, you paid too much.

Can someone give an idea of what amount to not spend on Mallorca pearlbeads. Perhaps prices depend on length, size and colour.....so if one wanted an 18" long strand of 1/4" diameter white Mallorca pearlbeads.....what would be a maximum that one should pay? (in Euros or dollars, it doesn't matter)

I will be going to Mallorca in October and would like to have a pearlbead souvenir. I have true pearls at home, but don't wear them often because of the care it takes to keep them nice. Perhaps the Mallorca type will look just as nice without the worry.

I will also look here in town to see if jewellery stores sell them and for what price.

We go to Barcelona before Palms...does anyone think that Barcelona sells the Mallorca pearlbeads??

Thanks for any information...:D

Joyce

Can someone give an idea of what amount to not spend on Mallorca pearlbeads. Perhaps prices depend on length, size and colour.....so if one wanted an 18" long strand of 1/4" diameter white Mallorca pearlbeads.....what would be a maximum that one should pay? (in Euros or dollars, it doesn't matter)

I will be going to Mallorca in October and would like to have a pearlbead souvenir. I have true pearls at home, but don't wear them often because of the care it takes to keep them nice. Perhaps the Mallorca type will look just as nice without the worry.

This is my personal opinion... I think if you want a classic 18" strand of white pearls, you should wear the true pearls that you already own. Real pearls have a luster that manufactured pearls just don't show. Real pearls are not that hard to care for; in fact, they thrive on natural skin oils. Just don't put them on until after you have applied perfume/hairspray etc., and they should require minimal care.

I think the Mallorca type are fun if you want some really gigantic beads, multiple strands, an offbeat design, or unusual colors such as black, gray, purple, or pink. If you see something pretty that you love, pay whatever you ordinarily would for "fun" costume jewelry, recognizing that the resale/inheritance value is minimal.

We go to Barcelona before Palms...does anyone think that Barcelona sells the Mallorca pearlbeads??

We didn't see them in Barcelona. The selection in Palma was amazing. I would wait until to Palma to shop for them.

Thank you CoralReef, and cruisemom42 for your replies and insights.

I guess I'm more afraid of losing my cultured pearls than anything else. I bought them myself so there's no significant attachment to them except that I like pearls.

You're right, I'll look at the Mallorca pearlbeads as costume jewellery and judge the price by the fun and looks of them! That's a good way to look at it. They would never be resold or given as an inheiritance anyway...more than likely tossed or given to a g/daughter or young niece, etc.

It will be fun looking at them!!

Thanks again!!

Archived