How Long is Long Enough For You?

sail7seas

I've only done 7 day trips so far. Next week I leave for a 10 day one. But I'll be staying in NY for 4 days before so it will be a total of 2 weeks away from home.

I'm sure I'll miss being home by then. I love to go on a cruise and I love to go home. I miss my two puppies.

I would love to go for a longer cruise but since I travel solo I'm fine with the shorter ones.

Joanne

Depends on the cruise. When we cruise in the Med then 7-10 days is fine. We don't have to travel far to get to the ship and we have visited most of the ports several times.

For the Caribbean, I like about 14-20 days to make the long flight worthwhile. Next year we are doing 20 days plus a 13 day transatlantic. That is more for practicality as we would rather cruise home than fly home.

If we were to go to somewhere like South America or the Far East then I would be prepared to do something longer because of the different ports of call. Even so I don't think I would want to do more than about 6 weeks.

big enuff closet space for my clothes to be nicely dressed for all the time I would be away..ohhhhh, about ummmm, lemme see, ummmmmm ..well, I could repeat some bottoms..so ummmm...gee, would I have to end it? Going about 8 times a year keeps me "cruze fed"..but it is a nice alternative to assisted living!

the longest so far is 7 days. Trying a 19 day next. But I don't think that's long enough. I love being on a Ship. My best cruise would be to never get off. LOL. If the Significant other is ok with 19 next will be longer I'm sure. Did the doc dance today so not long till we set sail. 46 Days and counting.

When we booked the 14 day Panama Canal cruise, I thought I would hate being on the ship for so long. Surprise, it was wonderful but I got TIRED of eating! We are "port" people and I don't know if we could do more than 3 days at sea. Have to say though, I would love to go to New Zealand. Maybe fly there and come back by ship. Gosh, I hate those long flights though. h-m-m-m.:confused:

We did a b2b in Alaska for 14 days and we were very happy. We've done several 10 day cruises and those were great too. We started with a 7 day cruise, but it's just not long enough . On the other hand, we did the 3 day Eurodam cruise out of NYC, and while it flew by, it was wonderful to be on a HAL ship and to be out at sea.

We could easily live on board and never get off. The shortest we want to do anymore is 14 days anything shorter isn't worth the travel time to get there. Longest we've done is 44 days straight. We do a lot of 30 day cruises and that is a good length of time on board but we still don't want to get off when they are over.

So far our longest was a 15-day Med cruise and I definitely was NOT ready to get off that ship! Haven't done a 7-day since our first cruise (Alaska) The only way we'd do another Alaska cruise is if we combined it with a landtour or a b2b. Loved Alaska, and no airfare, but 7 days just isn't long enough.

Our dream right now is to take a cruise somewhere in the range of 30-35 days after we've retired. I think that would be a perfect length of time, but who knows, it may not be long enough either! :p;)

Really fun reading responses.

We almost never are aboard less than 10 days but just booked our first Westerdam and because of timing, can only go for 7 days. I know that will be too short. We're also only on our next Maasdam cruise for 7 days but it is Boston to Boston and that is home for us so no travel. Strange for us to be doing two 7 day cruises within several months of each other.

I feel the odd one out here. We generally do 14-17 nights though have done a couple of 22's and a 24. I think that really is my limit, and in the case of DH he really likes no more than 14. Anything longer than 28 would definitely be out. I say a 28 only in that we would like to do Australia and New Zealand and the airfares make it desirable to do longer but it would be a one-off I feel sure.

However, having said that we love to cruise and our ideal is three 14 night cruises a year. Sometimes financially it is only 2. It is just we like to come back home -no, not to mow the lawn, but to see family and friends.

I had enough of Royal Caribbean after about 2-3 days. :o

We've done 10/12 nights on HAL and are looking forward to 2 weeks on the Westerdam this fall.

We've had fun on Disney's 4/5 night cruises, but they are merely something to "hold us over" until our "real" cruise that year, and we always combine those "shorties" with the parks or something more active. We will be doing 2-weeks on Disney next year as well. :)

We are coming up for over 700 days with Holland. Obviously we love to cruise. The longer ones the better. We have done 4 whole World's and the rest partial Worlds. Our saying is there is only 7 sea days wish there was 8. Holland is our favourite,have sailed with Princess,Radison,Cunard,Celebrity,Silver Seas and always compare with Holland and think Staff,Service,and Value the BEST Alsas

For those who have sailed more than a seven day cruise, is there a limit as to how long you think you want to be aboard?

A World Cruise is not for everyone no matter how much they love cruising. Putting money/price aside, about how long do you think you'd be happy sailing? Would you want off the ship at 14 days do you think? 30 days? 45 days? 100 days?

Or could you sailaway forever? :D

The longest we have been aboard is 15 days and we definitely would have been happy sailing longer. (DH is not retired so he cannot sail any longer than that.)

We would love to make the cruise ship our retirement home. We do the 19-20 day cruises. We like to start and end in the states because of the airline prices. The Panama Canal seems to be the longest cruise that does that. Price wise it is great! Yes to live forever cruising the seas!!

Val:cool:

I have done many ten day and several 14 day and even 2 fifteen day cruises. My longest one was 17 and that was a re-location cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver. At the time I took it, I thought it would kill my desire for cruiseing. In fact, it had the opposite affect on me. It "wet" my appetite for cruising.

We are coming up for over 700 days with Holland. Obviously we love to cruise. The longer ones the better. We have done 4 whole World's and the rest partial Worlds. Our saying is there is only 7 sea days wish there was 8. Holland is our favorite,have sailed with Princess,Radison,Cunard,Celebrity,Silver Seas and always compare with Holland and think Staff,Service,and Value the BEST Alsas

:o I agree with you on Holland. They are wonderful! 4 world cruises??? Do you need someone to carry you drink??? lol Wow that is so wonderful. God had really blessed you to be able to do that. My DH and I would love to do one.

We have the time but not the funds and if you have the funds the time is not right. So happy for you and hope to meet you on board someday!

Valerie

When we booked the 14 day Panama Canal cruise, I thought I would hate being on the ship for so long. Surprise, it was wonderful but I got TIRED of eating! We are "port" people and I don't know if we could do more than 3 days at sea. Have to say though, I would love to go to New Zealand. Maybe fly there and come back by ship. Gosh, I hate those long flights though. h-m-m-m.:confused:

As much as I love to eat, I too get very tired of eating :eek: But with having done so many cruises this past year I learned to pace myself. I have two extremely light meals and one regular meal but do not order everything :DI think after you have cruised a lot you have tried many of the items.

The stewards are so good at trying to get you to order more. They always ask "Are you sure that is all you want?"

RuthC-- just wanted to tell you that no matter what you comment.... you always bring a smile to my face seeing your picture next to your name. You look blissfully happy and your remarks are always cordial, informative, and many times funny

Thank you for the aside. The avatar was taken on a -dam cruise (I forget which one) by my official photographer---RevNeal. So, of course I was smiling!

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Archived