How Long is La Romblas?

JerseyBird

To experience La Ramblas, are you supposed to walk from Monument a Colon (Columbus) all the way up? How long is going to be? I am trying to have a feeling to allocate a hour, or two hours for it (It's the max I have).

Are you supposed to walk up to Place De Catalunya? How much time?

Thanks!

Google Maps shows the distance from the Columbus Monument to Plaza de Cataluna to be .8 miles and a walking time of 15 minutes. I believe the .8 mile might be accurate, but I would estimate an average walking pace to be more like 20-25 minutes with traffic lights and people. I would then double that to allow for stopping to watch people and street performers and the like. So it's doable in an hour. But you could easily spend a little more time if you choose to linger and watch things.

Clearly there are no "rules" as to how to enjoy La Rambla. Its totally up to you. But, if you only spend an hour you won't have nearly as much fun as you would if you took more time. You need to enjoy the market, the Gothic District, the street performers, the flower and bird vendors, the sangria, the tapas, etc.

HI BigGuy25. You are right. Las Ramblas blew us away. So much to see and do that one hour won't suffice. My suggestion, find more time to enjoy it if you can. If not, at least go and see the Cathedral. If is worth it.

Google Maps shows the distance from the Columbus Monument to Plaza de Cataluna to be .8 miles and a walking time of 15 minutes. I believe the .8 mile might be accurate, but I would estimate an average walking pace to be more like 20-25 minutes with traffic lights and people. I would then double that to allow for stopping to watch people and street performers and the like. So it's doable in an hour. But you could easily spend a little more time if you choose to linger and watch things.

The actual length isn't long very walkable. The most enjoyable IMHO area is up from the market to Cataluna.

If you like to stop, shop, gawk and grab a bite to eat you can easily spend 2-3 hours. If you only want to see it quickly, take a few pictures of the mimes that is it maybe 1/2 or less of that, say 45' or less.

Enjoy

In my opinion, one of the great areas to wonder through is the Gothic Quarter which is just to the east side of Ramblas - along the mid section of the stretch you're talking about. There are lots of interesting narrow streets in the Gothic Quarter, and the Cathedral is a few blocks off Ramblas there.

If you're exploring on your own the best tourist map I've ever seen of Barcelona is the Mapeasy's Guide Map to Barcelona - available online or at many bookstores here in the states. Great for other cities too.

Google Maps has a cool street view of most of the streets in Barcelona you can reach from their web site. This link "should" get you to the street view of the foot of Ramblas, so Click here for a preview to your walk up Ramblas. Click on the arrows your mouse will uncover going straight up the street and click and drag your mouse to look around.

In my opinion, one of the great areas to wonder through is the Gothic Quarter which is just to the east side of Ramblas - along the mid section of the stretch you're talking about. There are lots of interesting narrow streets in the Gothic Quarter, and the Cathedral is a few blocks off Ramblas there.

If you're exploring on your own the best tourist map I've ever seen of Barcelona is the Mapeasy's Guide Map to Barcelona - available online or at many bookstores here in the states. Great for other cities too.

Google Maps has a cool street view of most of the streets in Barcelona you can reach from their web site. This link "should" get you to the street view of the foot of Ramblas, so Click here for a preview to your walk up Ramblas. Click on the arrows your mouse will uncover going straight up the street and click and drag your mouse to look around.

The trouble with the Google street maps of Las Ramblas is that it takes you up the vehicle part not the pedestrianised section which is the most interesting. Also, it does not cover a lot of the smaller streets in the Gothic Quarter.

Archived