Fish scales for luggage

Momma Mojito

I bought a 50lb portable fishing scale yesterday for $5.00 at Walmart. Has anyone used one like this or do you use a luggage. I don't want to be at the airport and have to rearrange my luggage. This happened to me a couple of years ago and it's such a pain.

I have a luggage scale I got a couple of years ago and it worked fine until our last trip when it finally broke. It was pretty accurate.

All I can suggest is trying to weigh your luggage with your fish scale and then try again using another scale and see what the difference is.

Another option is to find something that you know weighs a set weight and see if your fish scale weighs it the same. A 25 pound bag of dog food or a 20 pound container of cat litter.

Have a great next cruise.

I have a luggage scale I got a couple of years ago and it worked fine until our last trip when it finally broke. It was pretty accurate.

All I can suggest is trying to weigh your luggage with your fish scale and then try again using another scale and see what the difference is.

Another option is to find something that you know weighs a set weight and see if your fish scale weighs it the same. A 25 pound bag of dog food or a 20 pound container of cat litter.

Have a great next cruise.

Thanks, Gee this might be my opportunity to get the dog I have always wanted. If I buy the doy food I can tell DHnow we need a dog to feed!!! Do you think it will work?

I bought a luggage scale a couple of years ago when we were only allowed to have 13 pounds carry-on with Aer Lingus. It has helped out on several occasions so we did not need to pay the extra fees. I usually balance items between carry on and checked baggage. I also have had friends use the scale when they were flying internationally. It was well worth my initial investment, even though everyone thought I was crazy!

Pearl

Got them at Radio Shack for under $9.00, use them all the time, never go over 45 lbs to leave room for gifts.

The one I bought ( fish scale) at WM has to be hung up and then you put you fish...luggage on it. Is this how the yours works? Thanks

I weigh my packed bag(s) on my bathroom scales.

First I weigh myself.

Then I get on the scales with my empty bag, so I will know how many pounds I have available for packing.

Finally, after my bag is packed with everything I planned to take, I get back on the scales while holding my suitcase.

Every time I have done it this way, I have been within 2#s of what the airline scales say my bag weighs.

I always leave at least 5#s leeway, so I won't have to worry about bringing souvenirs home.

I bought the cheapo one at Walmart and it broke after first use. I just bought one at Bed, Bath and Beyond which is quite strong and has LED readout. Cute. Will use it first time next month.

As the OP said, weighing oneself on home scale is fine when you depart. But what do you do for your return flight?

I bought one at a mall store that sells things you only use when you need them. Mine is a TravleOn brand It is called: Stop and Lock Luggage scale with a tape measure. The tape is handy to measure bag sizes.

It cost 9.95. I has a handle on top a hook on the bottom. It sets to zero. You then turn your bag to the side and use the hook on the side handle. You lift the bag till it is off the ground. This way you do not have to lift the packed suitcase as high in the air.

It then sets the weight. you can set the bag down, and the weight stay shown on a large analog dial.

I find it accurate to withen 2# over the 75 lb capacity.

Thanks to all for sharing - I was one of those who weigh on the scale at home & then this last cruise for the trip home had to rearrange at the airport. So, I'll check out the fish, er, luggage scale next time I'm at WalMart.

The one I bought ( fish scale) at WM has to be hung up and then you put you fish...luggage on it. Is this how the yours works? Thanks

It has a handle that fits your and and a large hook at the other end, the scale is round and only goes up to fifty pounds

I weigh my packed bag(s) on my bathroom scales.

First I weigh myself.

Then I get on the scales with my empty bag, so I will know how many pounds I have available for packing.

Finally, after my bag is packed with everything I planned to take, I get back on the scales while holding my suitcase.

Every time I have done it this way, I have been within 2#s of what the airline scales say my bag weighs.

I always leave at least 5#s leeway, so I won't have to worry about bringing souvenirs home.

On return trip I can balence my bags so I am not over, no scales on ship.

Comes in real handy that way.

We have one from Magellan's, but ours is not digital and doesn't beep.....guess they have a new one, since we bought ours several years ago. We use it on every flight, and it's been very accurate. I also had to rearrange things once in San Juan's airport after a cruise before we purchased the scale.

Also, thanks to Gay Cruiser for the idea of lifting the luggage from the side; we have been lifting from the top.

I put the link to Magellans on post #2 above.

We have the least expensive one and it works great!

You put it on zero and put the hook through the bag handle. Then lift the bag just off the ground.

The scale goes to the weight and locks in place so you can put the bag down and then read the weight.

Archived