Crown Princess - Does it really vibrate and roll so much?

lovevacadays

Bruce, I tend to disagree, at least since the days of fuel surcharges. I think the stabilizers are used only when necessary, and you can definitely tell when they are in use because you will feel the bite and shudder they cause when activated. I actually think those actions produce more complaints because people tend to take notice of the exceptions.

Another common complaint occurs when the ship is pitching. Obviously stabilizers have absolutely no effect on anything but roll, but people still comment about the lack of stabilization when the ship is bouncing up and down.

Personally, I love the sense of motion, and sleep like a baby when there's some moderate movement.

Your interest probably has peaked by now, but it was probably piqued when you posted.

After 2 or 3 cruises, most people become experts on ship operations - or they speak with a steward who knows less than nothing about the mechanical operations of a ship. In any case, they usually determine - with zero reliable information - how things really work. Usually they are wrong.

Most modern cruise ships today (at least the 29 I have worked on) keep their stabilizers out most of the time. Even in dead calm waters, a light wind can be an issue. Even with no wind, currents can cause problems. Many modern cruise ships have a rather high center of gravity (quite often caused by the numerous swimming pools on upper decks). Once the ship rolls a bit, the kinetic energy of all that moving water in the pools can be quite difficult to control. It is always reassuring to have the "fins" out to prevent that happening. Captains generally don't like using stabilizers, as the drag they produce slows the ship (by 0.5 to 1.0 knots) and consumes additional fuel. Many of the old timers think that stabilizers are like training wheels on a bicycle.

So if the ship rolls just slightly, the front desk receives many telephone calls from passengers who are convinced that: 1. The stabilizers are broken, or 2. The Captain has not put them out.

My questions were addressed to the organ grinder, not the monkey.

I was on Crown in June/July, 27 days B2B in Europe. Yes the Crown does look top heavy, with 19 decks, but I think she handles the seas much the same as most other ships in the Princess fleet.

I did feel crook one dinner time in Bay of Biscay, leaving Cadiz..there was a bit of a roll and I was looking at the horizon through the dining room window, not a good idea the waiters said, so I moved seats and was OK. Just a little tip..avoid looking at the horizon moving up and down.

if your gonna post a youtube, you should also add:

cruise liner in your Youtube link was damaged by a storm near Majorca was sailed to Sardinia after the crew restored power to two of its four engines, the ship’s owners say.A statement from V Ships of Monaco said some passengers had minor injuries and were being treated on board. The Voyager is carrying 776 people. V Ships said none of those injured had life-threatening conditions. The Voyager was hit by the storm about 100 km (60 miles) off Palma, Majorca, at about 0800 GMT The distress call triggered a French-led rescue to reach the Voyager. Two tugs - one Spanish and one French - were despatched to the scene, along with several aircraft. Most of the 480 passengers are Spanish. The ship was sailing from Tunis to Barcelona when the storm struck.

A giant wave smashed a bridge window, knocking out the control systems.

The ship is chartered to the Barcelona cruise firm Iberojet, V Ships said.

The ship, registered in the Bahamas and owned by Horizon Navigation, was built in 2000. One of largest and fastest passenger cruisers Voyager, in cyclone Valentina,

middle Mediterranean

Probably just maintain course, they have a schedule to meet and even though it

looks bad in the video, and more than likely felt pretty bad to those who paid

big bucks for a sedate Med. cruise, they were not in a dangerous situation

unless the engines failed, then it could have got a little hairy.

No Carnival Corporation including Princess Ships are allowed to travel in those conditions, all ships will detour all hurricane storms by no less than 800 miles and all routes have to be authorized if any changes are made when a weather advisory is made within its Hemisphere or its course.

Your interest probably has peaked by now, but it was probably piqued when you posted.

After 2 or 3 cruises, most people become experts on ship operations - or they speak with a steward who knows less than nothing about the mechanical operations of a ship. In any case, they usually determine - with zero reliable information - how things really work. Usually they are wrong.

Most modern cruise ships today (at least the 29 I have worked on) keep their stabilizers out most of the time. Even in dead calm waters, a light wind can be an issue. Even with no wind, currents can cause problems. Many modern cruise ships have a rather high center of gravity (quite often caused by the numerous swimming pools on upper decks). Once the ship rolls a bit, the kinetic energy of all that moving water in the pools can be quite difficult to control. It is always reassuring to have the "fins" out to prevent that happening. Captains generally don't like using stabilizers, as the drag they produce slows the ship (by 0.5 to 1.0 knots) and consumes additional fuel. Many of the old timers think that stabilizers are like training wheels on a bicycle.

So if the ship rolls just slightly, the front desk receives many telephone calls from passengers who are convinced that: 1. The stabilizers are broken, or 2. The Captain has not put them out.

I am no " Stewart" expert but I will respectfully disagree too and agree with Robs post. They are not deployed all the time and do increase fuel consumption immensly. ;)

You’ve peaked my interest here. Are you saying there were times when the stabilizers were not deployed in relatively high seas?

Or was it a case of the ship moving at a slow speed where the stabilizers are less effective?

Thanks.

As Rob posted stabilizers are only effective in certain sea conditions so yes there were times when the seas were rough and the stabilizers were not deployed.

I felt no motion whatsoever the entire 12 days on this cruise, and I was looking for it based on what I've read here on cruise critic. We had very good seas the entire time with some windy conditions here and there. I have been on quite a few cruises and this is probably the smoothest I've experienced. I will tell you however as other have stated, there is a slight vibration in the rear of the ship that I experienced while eating in the Horizon Court on deck 15 - both while the ship was in port and underway. It wasn't constant, but definitely noticeable from time to time. Others in my group commented on it as well. Nothing to make you feel sick, but a slight annoyance while it was happening. Will be glad to answer any questions.

Archived