too soon to redeem points

mtebor

I have 50K points that I was going to redeem for a NOV 2010 cruise....is it too early to do this now or should I wait. I doubt that I will have enough to make the 75K point total. I plan on using this as a $500 payment towards the cruise. I am not sure when my points expire. I know that you have 5 years to redeem but not sure how old the points actually are. When I had a different points card, they would state when and how many points will expire

I'd like to know the answer to that as well. I have 125,000 points to use on my June 2010 cruise and was wondering if it's too soon to have then applied. Reason, what if they change the rules between now and then! Anybody know??

You should be able to apply them any time. The only problem being if you applied them to a cruise and then decided to cancel the cruise. Im not sure you can switch the points to another cruise.... anyway, that's why I wait. In case I had to cancel.

With the economy today and not knowing what is happening to different banking institutions (Bank of America) included, I would redeem my points NOW for two reasons.

1. You never know when they might change the program.

2. You never know when another bank might purchase Bank of America and then do number one.

We were saving for a free cruise for two but went ahead and redeemed the points for $500 off our cruise due to this very thing. We did not want to loose our points.

Tim

I've already cashed in 50K for my Sept, 2010 cruise. I wanted to be sure they were applied - and that nothing changed in the plan that would negatively impact my point total/value. (I know that they are supposed to give you warning for any program changes...but... ;))

When I asked, I was told that if for some reason I would have to cancel the cruise, the points could NOT be redeposited but I could transfer the discount to another voyage. The caveat being that I'd have to have another booking already in place to transfer it to. HOWEVER, be sure to ask the question for yourself - and note the name of the person who gives you the answer so you can refer to them if need be. (We all know that you often get different answers from different reps!)

Have a fabulous cruise!

I think the certificates expire in 6 month after you cash them in.
The certificates do expire 6 months from issue meaning they must be applied to a cruise within that time, not that the cruise must be within that time.

You can apply them as soon as you have a booking/registration number for your cruise.

Something to keep in mind is that if you use your RCCL visa card to book, you get double points. That might get you closer to the 75,000 points, depending if you want to book excursions in advance etc.

I was told by C and A that if you need to cancel the original cruise that in order to keep the credit you will have to keep the same booking number and just change that cruise into a different cruise. If you cancel that booking the points will be lost. At least that is the story that I got. I believe according the the small print in the B of A paperwork that they are "supposed" to give 7 months notice if canceling the program. SURE!!!!:eek:

Archived