Questions about docking in Hamilton, Bermuda

iggycat

Hi, all. We're booking one of the new Holland America cruises to Bermuda in 2010. I have two questions. First, after scanning a few on-line articles, it looks to me like the Veendam will be docking right next to downtown Hamilton on all of the cruises (even the early ones in Spring 2010). Does that sound right? I know there has been some discussion of the dock being under repair and some ships being too large to dock downtown, so I'm excited that HA can dock in town.

Second, this will sound extremely obsessive, but hey, we cruisers like to plan things well, right?! We will book a cabin with a balcony, and I'm guessing that one side of the ship will have beautiful views off the entire town, and one will just look out into the ocean, while in port. Not that I would begrudge a view of the sea, but I would prefer to have a view of the town and island for the limited time we are there. Does anyone have a guess, based on past experiences or knowledge of how ships arrive at the dock, what side of the ship will be facing the town when in port? Thanks very much.

I can't answer your first question, about the dock in Hamilton and whether or not your ship will be using it. I hope you will get to dock right in downtown, because it is pretty great. Having done it, I can tell you that both sides of the ship will get a view and frankly the side facing away from Front St. may be better because it comes without the noise. See the map below for an idea of both views.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/world_cities/hamilton.jpg

Neither will have a boring view out to sea! Debbie

Yes, the Veendam will be docking in both St Georges and downtown Hamilton on each cruise.

In Hamilton, the ships often, but not always, dock with the starboard side in. The view of town is just Front Street (and all it's traffic) as town goes up a hill but you are too close to see it. The view across the harbour from the port side of the ship to the Paget shore is very pretty.

Be aware that you are so close to Front Street that you will have no privacy if your balcony faces that way - I often walk along Front Street and can see everything that is happening on the balconies.

It is most likely Veendam will dock starboard side to the dock in Hamilton.

This was discussed recently on HAL Board. Captain Stephen Card, a former harbormaster for Hamilton, shared that info. Excellent source IMO :)

Archived