Just back from MARINER 8/16/09. Any questions?

Just got home from the 8/16/09 Mariner of the Seas sailing. Had a great time!

Will try to post a review later in the week and scan cruise compasses. I also have the teens age 15-17 compasses and spa menus, daily specials, excursions, etc. Pretty much tons of papers to sort through. :) Ask away!

I will try to check back a couple of times a day to answer any questions.

Craving A Cruise

Karen

Couple of quick items.

~ Meet and Mingle was Monday at 11am in Ellington's (Crown lounge).

~ Muster Drill- Sunday at 4:15 p.m. NO life vests required!

~ Adventure Ocean Family Welcome Aboard Show -Sunday at 5:30 p.m. in Studio B

~ Formal Nights - Monday & Friday

~ Ice Under the Big Top ~ No tickets neccessary. Monday @ 5pm, Wednesday @ 7pm & 9pm, Friday @ 5 pm last chance.

~ Love & Marriage Game Show - Wednesday at 10:30 p.m

~The Quest Game Show - Thursday at 10:45 p.m. Doors open at 10:15pm. Get there early!

Hope this info helps!

Karen

Planning a cruise next year with Mariner. First cruise outside of Disney and had lots of questions. Will wait for the Compass copy (i am assuming this is the kinda newsletter of daily activities and will ask question(s) shortly.

My husband and I are booked for the Mexican Riviera cruise in September on Mariner of the Seas. I'm really nervous, as this is our first time cruising. Can you give me any tips or ideas about what to expect. What should we pack and what should we leave at home?

I'd really appreciate anything you have to offer. Thanks!

I was on the same sailing as Craving and have the 12 - 14 compasses. Hopefully will have them uploaded by the end of the week, need to find them in the suitcases.

Overall great cruise but now back to reality and laundry:(.

Hello Karen!

• Which evening did they do the pool-side buffet?
  • Was there an evening when the Solarium was turned into an adults-only dance area?
  • How was the weather?
  • Captain Per right? Any idea when Captain Johnny's expected return is?
  • Is Abe the current CD?

Hello Karen, We are taking this cruise in 26 days. I can't wait. I have 2 questions if you would be so kind. Did you park at the pier? If so how much was it? How was the food in the MDR? I guess that is 3 questions, sorry.

Hi Joyful Marsh,

Still working on getting the compasses scanned. Unfortunately, I'm home but my brain is still on vacation. :)

Let me see what I can find....

Hello Karen!

• Which evening did they do the pool-side buffet? Family Outdoor Nightclub & Buffet was Day 4 Wednesday 11:15pm-1:00pm. Sorry, we missed it so I can't comment.
  • Was there an evening when the Solarium was turned into an adults-only dance area? Yes. Day 6 Friday 11:30pm-late. We walked thru there when it was just starting. It looked very quiet. The venue is called "twenty".
  • How was the weather? Hot & humid & hot & humid....did I mention it was humid? Last 2 sea days were not too bad. A little windy on top deck but still plenty of people around the pool. Water temps in ports was perfect. (lukewarm bath temp.)
  • Captain Per right? Any idea when Captain Johnny's expected return is? Yes, Cpt. Per was very nice. Sorry, not sure when Johnny returns.
  • Is Abe the current CD? Yes, but he getting ready to leave on vacation very soon (this week or next I think?) Not sure how long he will be gone.

Hope this info helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Karen

Hi Joeyancho,

Yes we parked at the pier. Parking cost $12 per day. We paid cash. Sorry but I forgot to check if they took credit cards. It was very convenient.

Dh dropped us and the luggage off. We gave it to a porter and tipped him. Walked into the terminal while Dh parked the car. We were on the ship in about 20-25 minutes. :)

MDR was good to very good. We were happy with about 90% of our selections. I had read so many different opinions before boarding, so I was a little concerned. Windjammer was a little disappointing at times. We dined in Portofino & Chops. Highly recommend the filet mignon. So tender my son could cut his filet with a fork! :)

Gosh, I miss being onboard.:(

Bon Voyage,

Karen

Hello Karen, We are taking this cruise in 26 days. I can't wait. I have 2 questions if you would be so kind. Did you park at the pier? If so how much was it? How was the food in the MDR? I guess that is 3 questions, sorry.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! You are going to love the Mariner of the Seas.

Gosh, I'm not sure where to start....When I finally get the daily compass schedules up that we give you a good idea of the types of things to expect onboard. What types of activities do you enjoy doing? That might help direct me in the right direction.

We did the Los Veranos zipline in Puerto Vallarta and it was the highlight of our cruise! You may want to check the boards in the Meet-n-mingle area for your sailing date to see what others are chatting about.

I finally met some of my fellow cruise critic friends onboard the ship and it was wonderful! We had a great time together!! (shout out to "The Critters!" ;)) I would suggest getting to know a few other people online and then meet them at the meet-n-mingle party on the ship.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer. :)

Bon Voyage!

Karen

My husband and I are booked for the Mexican Riviera cruise in September on Mariner of the Seas. I'm really nervous, as this is our first time cruising. Can you give me any tips or ideas about what to expect. What should we pack and what should we leave at home?

Hi! Now is the ice show the same each time or is it different? I can't wait to see your review. I am in countdown mode for my cruise. Thanks in advance for you help!

We were on the Mariner in June the Ice show is the same each time. If you have small kids look for the staff when you walk in they need 4 kids for each show to be towed around in circus wagons to wave a the crowd. The give each kid a clown hat and wig and put them in the wagons and the skaters tow them around the rink while they wave. My 5 year old felt like the star of the show when she did this.

Hi Cindy,

Yes, it is the same show. We only attended it once, at 5:00pm on Monday and we were finished in plenty of time for our 6:00pm dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi! Now is the ice show the same each time or is it different? I can't wait to see your review. I am in countdown mode for my cruise. Thanks in advance for you help!

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! You are going to love the Mariner of the Seas.

Gosh, I'm not sure where to start....When I finally get the daily compass schedules up that we give you a good idea of the types of things to expect onboard. What types of activities do you enjoy doing? That might help direct me in the right direction.

We did the Los Veranos zipline in Puerto Vallarta and it was the highlight of our cruise! You may want to check the boards in the Meet-n-mingle area for your sailing date to see what others are chatting about.

I finally met some of my fellow cruise critic friends onboard the ship and it was wonderful! We had a great time together!! (shout out to "The Critters!" ;)) I would suggest getting to know a few other people online and then meet them at the meet-n-mingle party on the ship.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer. :)

Bon Voyage!

Karen

Hi Karen - Can you tell me about your Los Veranos experience, I'm booked in October. What time did you book, how long was the whole excursion, and any tips? Thanks in advance for the Compass scan...I know it's alot of work!

On a previous cruise I booked a zip lining tour off the internet. It was called Rio Cuale or something like that. It was much cheaper than the ship offering. It was a blast. One of the lines was 600 feet about the canopy. There were 13 lines in all. Can't wait to take my new bride on that one on our sept 20th cruise.

They do take credit cards at the parking lot, by the way. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I suggest that you go to the Royal Caribbean Roll Calls section and find the Roll Call for your specific cruise. You can chat with the other people booked with you and get lots of helpful hints. Also, register for the RCI-sponsored Meet & Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do They will have a get-together, probably Monday (first sea day) at 11:45 in Ellington's Bar. The CD or other staff will be there to say a few words and have a raffle.

Hi Cindy,

Yes, it is the same show. We only attended it once, at 5:00pm on Monday and we were finished in plenty of time for our 6:00pm dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so very much!! I can not wait!! I have already pulled my suitcase out and am starting to wash stuff that I use just for the cruise and putting it in the suitcase.

We had a fantastic time at Los Veranos! I'm in the process of writing a detailed review of our excursion and will post it over on the "Mexican Riviera" board for others to see.

We went with our 2 teens and some new friends we had met here on the boards~ Hi Akcruz!!:)~ It was a lot of fun and we would not hesitate to book it again!

Here is the quick answer to your questions: We booked the 10:45am tour (PV time) leaving from the Canopy office. We left the ship at 9:15am (PV time). Returned to the ship at 3:00pm, so overall it was about 6 hours roundtrip. Look for the detailed review, as I give more details and tips.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Karen - Can you tell me about your Los Veranos experience, I'm booked in October. What time did you book, how long was the whole excursion, and any tips? Thanks in advance for the Compass scan...I know it's alot of work!

I don't see anything specifically listed as a "Gotta Dance class". They did offer several classes in the spa for a fee.

Monday: New Body Cycling ($12 fee) 8:30am; Pathway to Yoga ($12) 9:45am; Pathway to Pilates ($12) 4:00pm.

Tuesday: Cycling 8:30am

Friday: Pilates 8:30am;Yoga 9:45am; Cycling 4:00pm

Saturday: Pilates 8:30am; Yoga 9:45am; Cycling 4:00pm.

I did notice a couple of dance classes listed, but could not get dh to attend any of them, so I can't comment.

Line dance class 2:00pm, 70's Line dancing, poolside

Ballroom Dance class 2pm, Learn to Salsa 3:30pm, Learn to Swing 3:30pm, in Dragon's Lair.

This may be more in line with what you were asking about. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Craving A Cruise (desperately!)

I read in a magazine that RC offers these exercise classes while on board. If they do, is there a charge for them? Thanks.

We had a fantastic time at Los Veranos! I'm in the process of writing a detailed review of our excursion and will post it over on the "Mexican Riviera" board for others to see.

We went with our 2 teens and some new friends we had met here on the boards~ Hi Akcruz!!:)~ It was a lot of fun and we would not hesitate to book it again!

Here is the quick answer to your questions: We booked the 10:45am tour (PV time) leaving from the Canopy office. We left the ship at 9:15am (PV time). Returned to the ship at 3:00pm, so overall it was about 6 hours roundtrip. Look for the detailed review, as I give more details and tips.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Karen

Archived