Mexican Riviera - 10night vs 7night - Need Advice

djneph

Hey Everyone,

I am sure some of you have done either of these routes. I am trying to decide between Mariner or Radiance for spring break 3/2010. The Radiance is my favorite class and it is doing the 10night, but ofcousre 10 night means more money. They do the exact same ports of call except the Radiance also calls in Acapulco and Ixtapa (Zihuatanejo).

Whatd o you guys think of these two extra ports, are they worth it? Are these large cities where you can just walk around on your own when you get off the ship (help in saving excursion money) or do the ships dock far from the city. Any thoughts for those of you that have been on either sailing 7-night or 10night would be appreciated.

-what was your fav port of call, what did you like.

-which port of call did you did not like..

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Everyone,

I am sure some of you have done either of these routes. I am trying to decide between Mariner or Radiance for spring break 3/2010. The Radiance is my favorite class and it is doing the 10night, but ofcousre 10 night means more money. They do the exact same ports of call except the Radiance also calls in Acapulco and Ixtapa (Zihuatanejo).

Whatd o you guys think of these two extra ports, are they worth it? Are these large cities where you can just walk around on your own when you get off the ship (help in saving excursion money) or do the ships dock far from the city. Any thoughts for those of you that have been on either sailing 7-night or 10night would be appreciated.

-what was your fav port of call, what did you like.

-which port of call did you did not like..

Thanks,

Steve

Well what is the price different for you? if not more and you can get time off go with the 10 days.

Are they ports that interest you? Have you researched them to see?

If they are, then go! If not, and you still want the extra days, staying on the ship and using what you've paid for is a great option.

If you don't want to spend the extra money for ports that you won't utilize...take the shorter, less expensive trip.

But do a bit of research on the places you'll visit, so you'll KNOW!

Radiance 10days by all means. Acapulco is a large city and if you dock there you are within walking distance of the center of the old town. However, depending on how many other ships are in port that day, you may tender (the dock can take 2ships). The newer part of the city spreads along miles of beach and hotels almost out to the airport. Zijuatenejo (Ixtapa) is definitely a tender port; ships anchor in the bay and tenders go to the center of a relatively small town but there are beaches and restaurants spread along the beach front. we have done both Radiance and Mariner and much prefer the Radiance class; as a matter of fact we are doing an 11day cruise to Acapulco on Radiance on Nov30 this year ( just getting ready to make the final payment):)

Radiance 10days by all means. Acapulco is a large city and if you dock there you are within walking distance of the center of the old town. However, depending on how many other ships are in port that day, you may tender (the dock can take 2ships). The newer part of the city spreads along miles of beach and hotels almost out to the airport. Zijuatenejo (Ixtapa) is definitely a tender port; ships anchor in the bay and tenders go to the center of a relatively small town but there are beaches and restaurants spread along the beach front. we have done both Radiance and Mariner and much prefer the Radiance class; as a matter of fact we are doing an 11day cruise to Acapulco on Radiance on Nov30 this year ( just getting ready to make the final payment):)

Thanks for the post. It was very helpful. I had research the two extra ports and they seem very nice. Just wanted some first hand account info. I think we will do the Radiance.

We were originally booked on Mariner for the MexRiv 7-night itinerary out of LA for Feb. '10. Then RCI opened up bookings for the Radiance MexRiv 10-nt itinerary out of San Diego and we changed our booking to the Radiance immediately. Why? Love the Radiance-class ships, love San Diego and the easy proximity of the cruise port from the airport and the city, love a 10-nt cruise versus a 7-nt cruise. Is it worth the extra $$$ to do the Radiance? For us it's an absolute YES. If you can swing the difference in price, I do not think you would be disappointed. Happy sailing whatever you decide.

Karen

Archived