Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi I tried reading through all the threads to see if this resort was mentioned I made it through 20 pages and gave up lol!!! I have booked my stay at the Alhambra in November pre/post cruise. It is located on Alhambra street...Have you heard any reviews for this particular property? I am also hoping there is a drug store, good restaurants and things to do close to the hotel? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated..Thanks again!:)

The Alhambra looks very nice from the outside. It gets great reviews on tripadvisor. It is 2 doors down from Casablanca Cafe, a good restaurant overlooking the beach. Coconuts is also great, about 6+ blocks away. CVS drugstore is about 3 blocks south, at Beach Place. A water taxi stop is very closeby. Have fun!

The Alhambra looks very nice from the outside. It gets great reviews on tripadvisor. It is 2 doors down from Casablanca Cafe, a good restaurant overlooking the beach. Coconuts is also great, about 6+ blocks away. CVS drugstore is about 3 blocks south, at Beach Place. A water taxi stop is very closeby. Have fun!

Thanks for the reply and information! I applaud your dedication to this thread! It seems more like a full time job! Your info and comments are surely appreciated I'm sure :)

Very much so. I whisked my wife away for a surprise 10 day cruise in April and your wealth.of information made my stay a home run for sure. Thanks!

We are coming back in January look out!

Don Murphy

Thanks for the reply and information! I applaud your dedication to this thread! It seems more like a full time job! Your info and comments are surely appreciated I'm sure :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You too Lois! I run into you on all the boards so I know you are dedicated to CC!

Hi Sharon, thanks:) I am flying up to NJ one week from tomorrow:D

sailing one week from Sunday to Bermuda:)

Going on CENTURY in February:D....new itinerary out of Port Everglades.

February is still high season:eek:.....do you know the Holiday Inn on Sheridan? One of the lower prices

for hotels I have found....... AAA rate 166.00. Any thoughts about it for me?

Edited by Lois R

Hi,

I am thinking of booking a cruise with departs PE on Friday 29th November, the day after Thanksgiving.

Is everything closed in Fort Lauderdale on Thanksgiving Day? Especially thinking about Galleria Mall, Sawgrass Mills and Total Wines.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am thinking of booking a cruise with departs PE on Friday 29th November, the day after Thanksgiving.

Is everything closed in Fort Lauderdale on Thanksgiving Day? Especially thinking about Galleria Mall, Sawgrass Mills and Total Wines.

Thanks!

The Friday after Thanksgiving--otherwise known as "Black Friday" is one of the biggest shopping days of the year. I would avoid it like the plague.:eek:

Thanks for all your hard work on this thread~

We are arriving on the 23rd of August staying at the Bahia Mar and then cruising the 25th, What is in that area for the evening that you would recommend.? We will need a grocery/liquor store. A good restaurant would be wonderful and can you tell me about the water taxi and how it works?? Bringing two friends that have never been to Fla. and my 19 year old son~

Thanks so much in advance!:p

Very much so. I whisked my wife away for a surprise 10 day cruise in April and your wealth.of information made my stay a home run for sure. Thanks!

We are coming back in January look out!

Don Murphy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cool! Let me know if you need anything.

February is still high season:eek:.....do you know the Holiday Inn on Sheridan? One of the lower prices

Lois, I've never been to Bermuda. It sounds really nice.

I went to the Holiday Inn on Sheridan (the one near I95) about 10 yrs ago for a conference. It was nice and new back then and it still gets good reviews. The only thing nearby is Denny's though. If you just need a safe clean place to stay and relax or if you have a car I think it would be fine.

Hi,

Thanks!

Don't know about Total Wine, but the malls are closed. Last year I think that Sawgrass Mills opened at midnight for Friday.

Thanks for all your hard work on this thread~

We are arriving on the 23rd of August staying at the Bahia Mar and then cruising the 25th, What is in that area for the evening that you would recommend.? We will need a grocery/liquor store. A good restaurant would be wonderful and can you tell me about the water taxi and how it works?? Bringing two friends that have never been to Fla. and my 19 year old son~

Thanks so much in advance!:p

Go to Coconuts and please be willing to wait for a table. Everyone loves it and it's just 3 blocks north, on a marina. It's across the street from Courtyard Hotel. There is a water taxi stop just south of Bahia Mar. You get on, pay, and get an armband. It travels on the intracoastal (beach area) and New River (downtown) and you can HOHO. There is a narrator, and the most interesting part of the route is on the river. I'm not sure what you would see after dark, so go well before the sun goes down. You can find the schedule online. Since you are allowing yourself time to enjoy Fort Lauderdale, you might have enough time to explore downtown and the beach area.

Edited by royalcruz

Lois, I've never been to Bermuda. It sounds really nice.

I went to the Holiday Inn on Sheridan (the one near I95) about 10 yrs ago for a conference. It was nice and new back then and it still gets good reviews. The only thing nearby is Denny's though. If you just need a safe clean place to stay and relax or if you have a car I think it would be fine.

Hi Sharon.....I will keep looking:).....not that I don't eat at Denny's

but I always arrive during the day and want more than 1 choice

for dinner. Prices are higher than normal and some folks on the roll

call posted about a bunch of other stuff happening in the area the

same weekend as this cruise....and yes, I know Feb is high season:eek:

If I have to spend more than usual? I will just work it into the

budget......it is still 7 months away;)

Lois, Hyatt Place on 10th St. which is behind Embassy Suites on 17th is in a great location. I have stayed there before and it is close to everything. Outback Steakhouse is next door and a huge shopping center one block away. They have an airport shuttle.

Valuetrips dot com shows a price of $169 plus tax for Jan. thru Mar. 2013. The 2014 price is supposed to come out in August but the price has been the same for 3 or 4 years.

Lois, LaQuinta Hollywood and Sleep Inn Dania have similar rates to HI. Like nat said, Hyatt Place Convention Center would be even better, on ValueTrips. I'm also pulling up awesome rates at Hilton Marina on hiltonfamilymvp after signing in with my hhonors...just over $200 for February (no shuttles or breakfast there though).

Lois, Hyatt Place on 10th St. which is behind Embassy Suites on 17th is in a great location. I have stayed there before and it is close to everything. Outback Steakhouse is next door and a huge shopping center one block away. They have an airport shuttle.

Valuetrips dot com shows a price of $169 plus tax for Jan. thru Mar. 2013. The 2014 price is supposed to come out in August but the price has been the same for 3 or 4 years.

Hi Nat:) I am looking at that too.....actually I stayed there multiple

times over the years......before it became a Hyatt it was Amerisuites...

I go that far back;) and ironically, I just emailed them and they

replied back that yes, rates will be up for 2014 after August...

So I will wait an look there. Thanks:D

Don't know about Total Wine, but the malls are closed. Last year I think that Sawgrass Mills opened at midnight for Friday.

Thankyou for the info! DW is now not only totally distraught that she would lose a shopping day, but also in a huff that I would even consider depriving her of it :eek:

Soooo, what about New year's Eve/New Year's Day? Would the Malls be open on those days?

thanks!

Colin

Thankyou for the info! DW is now not only totally distraught that she would lose a shopping day, but also in a huff that I would even consider depriving her of it :eek:

Soooo, what about New year's Eve/New Year's Day? Would the Malls be open on those days?

thanks!

Colin

The malls are open NYEve and day but they usually close early, around dinner time.

Thanks Sharon. What do you mean by 'dinner time'. 7pm approx?

Ta!

Colin

Hi Colin,:) normally the malls here in the states are open till about 9pm.

So....Sharon is saying they close earlier.....around 7pm.....that is

considered dinner time for many folks.