Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

royalcruz-you are awesome to manage this thread! We are Tampa folks driving over to Ft. Lauderdale the day before our cruise and staying at the Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport North Cruiseport on SW 12th street. (Is this an O.K. one?)

We are looking for a couple of things.

1. Is there a large dive shop (like the Divers Direct up in Palm Beach)?

2. How about an outlet mall?

3. We also would like to find a nice place for lunch (not wild about chain restaurants) where we could park our car so we can see it (all of our luggage would still be in it).

4. Looking for something unique and nice to do for dinner with our two teenage boys (again-don't love chain restaurants).

Suggestions? We'll have a car so getting around won't be much of an issue. Thanks so much!!

Is the area by Publix safe? Perhaps we can walk there from the hotel in the afternoon, have dinner in the area, shop at Publix and take a taxi back.

The area near Publix is the county jail/courthouse area. It's another part of downtown that is like a ghost-town after business hours. but I can't think of any restaurants around there other than the Downtowner Saloon (a bar/restaurant on the river).

royalcruz-you are awesome to manage this thread! We are Tampa folks driving over to Ft. Lauderdale the day before our cruise and staying at the Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport North Cruiseport on SW 12th street. (Is this an O.K. one?)

3. We also would like to find a nice place for lunch (not wild about chain restaurants) where we could park our car so we can see it (all of our luggage would still be in it).

4. Looking for something unique and nice to do for dinner with our two teenage boys (again-don't love chain restaurants).

Suggestions? We'll have a car so getting around won't be much of an issue. Thanks so much!!

The hotel is fine, especially if you have a car...it's a low-middle income area so there isn't anything around that is very exciting, but it isn't high crime.

1) I'm not a dive expert, so do your own search on that one.

2) It is easy to get to Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall from there...it's less than a 30 minute drive using I595 and it's huge and awesome.

3) Lester's Diner is about a mile east of the hotel and has it's own parking lot and big windows. It's open for lunch and 24/7.

4) Head to the beach for dinner. Some good options for your family are Bahia Cabana, H2O, Bubba Gumps, and Coconuts, or one of the restaurants at Beach Place. The thing to do is to park and walk around if it's a nice night.

http://www.diversdirect.com/dive-shop-fort-lauderdale.cfm

looks like they are there too..you'll have a car, this is over on 17th street..

sawgrass mills..HUGE!!!!!

http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=1262

there is a newish STICKY at the top of this board...start there, i am sure royal will pop by later...

ditto

i'm not royalcruz but i've been there enough....funny someone just asked about a dive shop the other day!! :D

not sure if you're pizza fans, but for a casual dinner, anthony's coal fired pizza is pretty darned good...and i am a pizza snob!;)

http://anthonyscoalfiredpizza.com/

(holy cow...they opened one up here in Jersey...THAT is kind of nutty! ) I didn't realize it was a chain out of FLA....it's good though!

i'm not royalcruz but i've been there enough....funny someone just asked about a dive shop the other day!! :D

not sure if you're pizza fans, but for a casual dinner, anthony's coal fired pizza is pretty darned good...and i am a pizza snob!;)

http://anthonyscoalfiredpizza.com/

(holy cow...they opened one up here in Jersey...THAT is kind of nutty! ) I didn't realize it was a chain out of FLA....it's good though!

Anthony's is also famous for great healthy wings...not fried!:) I like the skins extra crispy so I get them well-done.

Royalcruz..I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, I didn't have time to go thru the 90 pages here..lol. Are there ant decent nail salons near the Hilton Marina? Will be there day before our Novemeber cruise on the Carnival Miracle and have a request to get nails done....no, not mine..lol :D

Thank you for all that you bring to this thread..:o

Royalcruz..I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, I didn't have time to go thru the 90 pages here..lol. Are there ant decent nail salons near the Hilton Marina? Will be there day before our Novemeber cruise on the Carnival Miracle and have a request to get nails done....no, not mine..lol :D

Thank you for all that you bring to this thread..:o

I haven't been to any nail salons in that neighborhood, but there are several places along SE 17th St. Harbor Nails is the closest and has a good reputation.... at 1501 SE 17th St. 954-767-1006.

I haven't been to any nail salons in that neighborhood, but there are several places along SE 17th St. Harbor Nails is the closest and has a good reputation.... at 1501 SE 17th St. 954-767-1006.

Thank you...you are awesome!! :p

How is the Embassy Suites hotel as far as location, area restaurants, things to do? Thanks for your help :D

Great location, close to the port, big rooms, wonderful breakfast, several dining and shopping options within walking distance, and you can't beat the free happy hour! :D

We will be flying in the day b/f our cruise and staying at the Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale airport-North on SE 10th St. on Nov. 1st (just booked on hotwire for $54 for the night) Do you know anything about this hotel? Are there any restaurants within walking distance or any shopping for last minute items close by?

Thanks for all your posts. You are a wealth of information. :)

We will be flying in the day b/f our cruise and staying at the Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale airport-North on SE 10th St. on Nov. 1st (just booked on hotwire for $54 for the night) Do you know anything about this hotel? Are there any restaurants within walking distance or any shopping for last minute items close by?

We've stayed there and it was very nice--bedrooms are like a small suite. There is a shopping mall just across a street and parking lot that had eating places, a supermarket and more.

We liked it but haven't been able to get it for a reasonable price, like yours, for a while, so haven't been there for a couple of years.

You will have everything you need within walking distance. Congrats on a great rate and enjoy your stay!

What star level and ammenities was this hotel? I've looked for it, but I have a feeling it's sold out for the night I need.

I booked it on Hotwire this morning it was a 3 star in the downtown area with airport shuttle, breakfast, pool, fitness center, buisness center, smoke free and internet.

Thank everyone for you responses... getting soooooooooooooooooo excited for our cruise next week.

Wow, so many helpful people here!

Can anyone recommend an affordable convenient hotel with free parking?

We will be driving into Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise, so we just need a place to sleep for 1 night and somewhere to park our car.

anyone know any restaurants having thanksgiving dinner specials( nothing fancy). our cruise ends on the 25th will be staying around westin beach area.

I haven't seen anything advertised yet. There probably won't be much in the restaurants near the Westin. Shooters and Marriott Harbor Beach usually have a buffet dinner for the holidays.

We are arriving from Los Angeles at 6:00 a.m. , the day of our cruise (11/19/11 Crown Princess). We have a party of 14 people. Can you suggest where we might spend four or five hours before we head to the ship? How about a good place for breakfast and a place to store luggage? We also have a few hard core runners who would like to take a nice long run on the beach, so it would be great if the breakfast place was near the beach.

On the day we depart the ship, our flight does not leave until 6:00 p.m., so suggestions for filling that approximate eight hours with something to do are welcome.

Thanks, Sixsigma

We are arriving from Los Angeles at 6:00 a.m. , the day of our cruise (11/19/11 Crown Princess). We have a party of 14 people. Can you suggest where we might spend four or five hours before we head to the ship? How about a good place for breakfast and a place to store luggage? We also have a few hard core runners who would like to take a nice long run on the beach, so it would be great if the breakfast place was near the beach.

On the day we depart the ship, our flight does not leave until 6:00 p.m., so suggestions for filling that approximate eight hours with something to do are welcome.

Thanks, Sixsigma

Most of the beach hotels have breakfast , but that is a LOT of luggage to store. The Harbor Beach Marriott is right on the beach and very close to the port. Maybe they could hold your luggage while you eat breakfast. The closest popular breakfast place to the airport and port is Lester's Diner. When you disembark you might be able to send your luggage from the port to the airport (most airlines and cruiselines do this now). Some areas of interest to tourists are the beach area, boat rentals, parasailing, Las Olas Blvd, the Jungle Queen and Carrie B river cruises, Water Taxi, Galleria Mall, Sawgrass Mills Mall (further), and Everglades tours (further).