Travel Agent question

sassy5683

I know for whatever reasons we cannot mention travel agents names. I'm not sure if that also means if we are asking specific questions about a TA or not but I will try to just make general questions so I don't break any rules....

I am looking at two different TA's both offer $25 OBC with the choices we are making. They say there are no booking fees. I need to know if there will be any other fees that they are not teling me about before I give them a credit card number. I don't want to find out that there really is a fee they just don't call it a booking fee.

what key words should I use to make sure there are no fees?

Should I just forget the TA all together and just go through Carnival? They are giving me the exact same deal as carnival just with a $25 OBC.

Thanks for your help!

Ask if there are cancellation fees, change fees ANY other fees...can you get a hold of them easily?? Will the payment be charged to the Cruise Line or to XYZ Agency...(that is bad.....you want it charged to the Cruise line)

Frankly since it is the same deal, book direct with Carnival.....that way YOU control the reservation adn you aren't stuck worrying that you'll get the short end of the stick. A $25 OBC, IMO is not worth not having control! (heck, my TA who i generally love, goofed up on $50 OBC-granted, we had plenty since we were on Explorer after the prop eas damaged, and missed a port...long story short, we got substantial OBC...but i digress. Even for another $50 i will not transfer it to her....she also didn't want to argue a point for me that was in writing..I wound up winning the battle myself...:rolleyes::p )

I know for whatever reasons we cannot mention travel agents names. I'm not sure if that also means if we are asking specific questions about a TA or not but I will try to just make general questions so I don't break any rules....

I am looking at two different TA's both offer $25 OBC with the choices we are making. They say there are no booking fees. I need to know if there will be any other fees that they are not teling me about before I give them a credit card number. I don't want to find out that there really is a fee they just don't call it a booking fee.

Should I just forget the TA all together and just go through Carnival? They are giving me the exact same deal as carnival just with a $25 OBC.

Thanks for your help!

The point of a travel agent is to either save money, or help with a booking if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Will you be asking your TA for assistance with a flight? Sometimes they'll book a cruise for free (they get compensated by the cruise line), but there will be additional fees for booking flights, so if you intend to use a TA for that, you need to continue to ask questions.

Otherwise, if you're getting exactly the same deal with Carnival that you're getting through the agents, the $25 OBC isn't worth dealing through an agent. By booking directly with Carnival, you have more control over your booking, can make changes more easily, and they'll deal directly with you rather than having to go through the agent.

Thanks for your help!

If you are working with an online agency, carefully review and read ALL information, disclaimers, agency information, etc. They MUST disclose, in writing, any fees of any kind they have. You can also ask them to email you a copy of their terms and conditions....they must provide it for you.

Don't give them any money until you've seen, in writing, their terms.

If the difference is only $25, I'd book directly with the cruise line. You'd have easier access to your booking and it's much simpler to get things changed/questions answered. If you go through the TA, they own your booking and calling the cruise line directly for anything will get you the standard " We can't help you, you need to go through your TA".

I'll TRY to clarify what some are saying.

Booking with a TA is like having a union at work or a sports agent. The union or the sports agent is now your contractually obligated representitive.

You cannot go to your boss and negotiate a raise. The union has to do that.

Same with a TA, you cannot go to the cruiseline and ask for an upgrade, or a price adjustment. Your TA must do that. The cruiseline will only speak with your contracted agent.

If you are comfortable with making your own travel plans, then go directly thru the cruiseline.

If you are uncomfortable with the process, may need some hand holding, or would just feel more secure, then go with a TA.

On their own, each has a value to provide.

Thanks for your help!

Have them email or fax you a copy of their terms and conditions......

Ask about cancellation fees they may charge...and any fees in connection with changes, requests for lower rates if the price falls, etc.

Unless their policy is in writing, they cannot charge you anything above the price of the cruise and port taxes, govt fees. There's no reason for them NOT to send you a copy of their "rules".

If they can't or won't do this....don't book with them.

If it's a new TA and the only incentive is $25 OCB I'd probably book direct with Carnival.

Not all TAs are good. Some don't get back to you once they've got your booking as I learned. We now use our warehouse club TA and have had good experiences on about 5 cruises and some still to come.

And, yes, ask for all fees if you cancel, change, etc. and you want the TA fee and Carnival's too. They can add up. That said, some TAs do not charge a booking or cancellation fee. You have to ask and research though.

ENJOY

Archived