Free Category Upgrades

pratzert

Hi.

I was wondering what experiences perople have recently had with any sort of "free" category upgrades O has offered ?

Due to our budget, we will book an "Inside" cabin. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with upgrades.

Or, if not free, what type of savings in price did they offer if any offer at all was made ?

And... I noted in the FAQ's that they allow up to 3 bottles of wine to be brought aboard for consumption in your cabin. That's great. But it seems they don't allow any hard liquor to come aboard for use in your cabin... is that correct ?

Lastly, what amount of "credit" is typical or average for the airfare that is "included". I'm trying to get an idea if we should book our own or not as we might like to arrive a day early and I read that the air transportation they usually arrange has you arrive the day of your departure.

Thanks for your help.

Hi.

I was wondering what experiences perople have recently had with any sort of "free" category upgrades O has offered ?

They do not usually offer FREE upgrades their supply is more limited than on the larger ships

Due to our budget, we will book an "Inside" cabin. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with upgrades.

Depends on the sailing & how many people want inside cabins ...I would book the cabin you will be most happy with then if you get an upgrade offer it is a bonus;)

Or, if not free, what type of savings in price did they offer if any offer at all was made ?

Depends on the availability ...I would book now while the sale is on ;)

They look like some cruises are now fully booked once again

And... I noted in the FAQ's that they allow up to 3 bottles of wine to be brought aboard for consumption in your cabin. That's great. But it seems they don't allow any hard liquor to come aboard for use in your cabin... is that correct ?

You can bring liquor or wine for consumption in your CABIN the 3 bottle limit appears to mean at each port not on embarkation (I could be wrong) it was discussed here before

Lastly, what amount of "credit" is typical or average for the airfare that is "included". I'm trying to get an idea if we should book our own or not as we might like to arrive a day early and I read that the air transportation they usually arrange has you arrive the day of your departure.

Thanks for your help.

Your TA could give you the air credit rate then you can decide what works for you.

We usually like to control what days/flights we choose & usually break even.

Forgot to add if you take a bottle of wine to a dining venue there is a corkage fee $20. (I think)

If you have unfinished wine they will hold it for you for another time just give them your cabin #

Lyn

We were on a May sailing that was not full - we booked a cat. D I think (porthole) - about 60 days before sailing we were offered an upsell to a balcony for I think $300 per person. Later we were offered another upsell to a penthouse (I don't know all the different cabin choices, esp. the high end ones). I think I read one place that the O sailings tend to sell out the high end cabins and the low end cabins first.

Your travel agent should be able to tell you about the air credit or if you booked online, study the invoice carefully - it can be confusing but it's there! And if you want to arrive early to the departure port, you can either book your own or do the O air deviation for $75.

But I'm thinking it may be a good idea to go thru an agent.

shop around (quickly) some agents offer perks

We are not allowed to promote an agent so do some searching on the web

Lyn

We've booked a G guarantee this time around. We've been on deck 8 inside when we were on an R ship and were comfortable enough. With the port intensive cruise next July, I don't think we'll be in our room that much.

We had booked a category D (porthole) and about two months before sailing our TA called with an offer of $100 per person to upgrade to a balcony -- we jumped on it. About a month before we were offered an upgrade to a C (concierge) cabin for $200 each. This was what it retailed for and the champagne, fridge in cabin and whatever else it involved weren't of interest to me, so we declined. It is important to have a TA who does a fair amount of business with O as they can't call every TA with every offer. I was at work when we got the first call and was so happy I got back to her before the balcony upgrades were gone, so the next cruise (July 2010 Baltic Treasures) I will give the TA my OK for what price I would pay for what upgrade if an offer comes up. As was pointed out to me, once in a balcony it's hard to go back, so we're in a balcony, but I can always hope for a deal on a Penthouse :D.

We had booked a category D (porthole) and about two months before sailing our TA called with an offer of $100 per person to upgrade to a balcony -- we jumped on it. About a month before we were offered an upgrade to a C (concierge) cabin for $200 each. This was what it retailed for and the champagne, fridge in cabin and whatever else it involved weren't of interest to me, so we declined. It is important to have a TA who does a fair amount of business with O as they can't call every TA with every offer. I was at work when we got the first call and was so happy I got back to her before the balcony upgrades were gone, so the next cruise (July 2010 Baltic Treasures) I will give the TA my OK for what price I would pay for what upgrade if an offer comes up. As was pointed out to me, once in a balcony it's hard to go back, so we're in a balcony, but I can always hope for a deal on a Penthouse :D.

WOW.. that's encouraging.....

So far, I have been unable to find a TA with a lot of experience with Oceania.

I would prefer to use a local TA but I don't see why I can't use one in ChiTown..... who did you use ?

We had booked a category D (porthole) and about two months before sailing our TA called with an offer of $100 per person to upgrade to a balcony -- we jumped on it. About a month before we were offered an upgrade to a C (concierge) cabin for $200 each.

Just to clarify for new people

C is no balcony (on deck 4 mostly)

A is Concierge (deck 7 )

Archived