HAL Cancellation Insurance

taxmantoo

Announced yesterday - Good news

New Holland America Line's Cancellation Protection Plan Allows Guests to Cancel for Any Reason

I don't understand ... what's new or different? Sounds the same as it has long been to me. Maybe the price has changed? :confused::confused:

Hi Taxmantoo, do you or anyone else know if this is a policy from Berkley Care ? They have the policies on HAL & Princess. I wonder if HAL is using this Berkley or have started to use another company.

Thanks, MaryAnn

Do you need to purchase this insurance at the time you book or can you purchase it at the time of making final payment??

You must purchase at time of booking and, like virtually all travel insurance, the premium is absolutely and totally non-refundable ever for any reason.

I spoke to the Berkley Care people today , they answer as HAL, etc. The # is 1-800-453-4047.

The main points were, to me, if your problem is of a medical nature - they wil reimburse you. If no medical, you will not be reimbursed. That means, traffic accident, theft, etc.causes you to miss the ship. Supposedly, if a HAL tour is late - the ship waits (luckily, have not tested this :p) then we would all be covered)

Call them, get an email of the policy, but find out for your own circumstances, what is covered or not.

I bought this policy and for my Princess cruise (same Berkley). Last night, I called a popular insure mytrip company - to get a policy that pays for everything/everytime (which I thought I had) would be 3x as much !!!

So, let us know what is what, my main problem is not being told the exclusions before booking (and paying for the policy).

MaryAnn

I spoke to the Berkley Care people today , they answer as HAL, etc. The # is 1-800-453-4047.

The main points were, to me, if your problem is of a medical nature - they wil reimburse you. If no medical, you will not be reimbursed. That means, traffic accident, theft, etc.causes you to miss the ship. Supposedly, if a HAL tour is late - the ship waits (luckily, have not tested this :p) then we would all be covered)

Call them, get an email of the policy, but find out for your own circumstances, what is covered or not.

I bought this policy and for my Princess cruise (same Berkley). Last night, I called a popular insure mytrip company - to get a policy that pays for everything/everytime (which I thought I had) would be 3x as much !!!

So, let us know what is what, my main problem is not being told the exclusions before booking (and paying for the policy).

MaryAnn

MaryAnn,

Up to 24 hours prior to departure HAL will reimburse at 90% cash back on your credit card (including air purchased through them!). It is 95% at 31 days. After that period the "insurance" portion kicks in from Berkeley and reimbursement is for a covered reason. Great product.

This product has to be paid in full at deposit and pre-existing conditions are waived. Up until 24 hours prior it is a protection plan by HAL and than at 24 hours the insurance coverage starts. Hope that helps.

Alot of people know about the insurance before you sale and have to cancel.

Alot of don't know about the insurance after you sail.

Buying the insurance at time of booking gives you no chance to read the policy to see the exclusions and TAs don't know all about every question you ask.

I know about the 'before you sail' portion of the policy, when I started asking questions about 'while I was on the ship and in ports' is when I found out more exclusions, etc.

MaryAnn

We used Berkley Insurance for a Princess cruise last year. We always take out cruise insurance and never had reason to use it. Shortly before this cruise, a close relative became very ill and we had to cancel the cruise. Berkley was wonderful to deal with. They were very kind and professional in their conversations with us. We were reimbursed 100 per cent. The process of filing the claim was straight forward and smooth.

" like virtually all travel insurance, the premium is absolutely and totally non-refundable ever for any reason"

Though we have never been issued a refund per se by a travel insurer, we had a very favorable experience earlier this year with Travel Guard. We had insured a transatlantic cruise ending in Amsterdam when we made our deposit. Before final payment was due, we changed our minds about the cruise, and just decided to fly to Amsterdam and spend a week or so instead. Travel Guard allowed us to roll over a portion of the amount we paid to insure the cruise to cover our new trip (it was considerably cheaper), and then issued us a voucher good for the difference that we have two years to use. We have already applied it towards a cruise we have booked for December. So we didn't lose any money-just as good as a refund we thought.

" like virtually all travel insurance, the premium is absolutely and totally non-refundable ever for any reason"

Though we have never been issued a refund per se by a travel insurer, we had a very favorable experience earlier this year with Travel Guard. We had insured a transatlantic cruise ending in Amsterdam when we made our deposit. Before final payment was due, we changed our minds about the cruise, and just decided to fly to Amsterdam and spend a week or so instead. Travel Guard allowed us to roll over a portion of the amount we paid to insure the cruise to cover our new trip (it was considerably cheaper), and then issued us a voucher good for the difference that we have two years to use. We have already applied it towards a cruise we have booked for December. So we didn't lose any money-just as good as a refund we thought.

Yes, I understand that some or many insurers may permit you to transfer the coverage to a different trip and issue vouchers if the new trip is cheaper than the first. We use Travel Guard as well, and that was explained to me by a tele-rep there.

But ... had you cancelled without rolling the insurance to a new trip and, perhaps, with no intention or ability to travel in the next couple of years ... that premium truly is non-refundable.

Semantic, huh?

You must purchase at time of booking and, like virtually all travel insurance, the premium is absolutely and totally non-refundable ever for any reason.

Your statement could be amended to read "virtually all insurance..." and the meaning wouldn't change at all.

:confused: I don't understand why folks think that travel insurance should be refundable. No other insurance premium is.

We buy term life insurance for x-number of years. If we cancel it or don't file a claim, do we expect a refund? No. We buy car insurance & if we cancel it, or transfer to a difference carrier or sell the car, do we expect a refund? No. We buy health insurance & if we're blessed w/excellent health & don't ever file a claim, do we request a premium refund? No.

So why do we think that if we buy a product that if we cancel, we're due a refund? That risk is explained, in writing, at the time of purchase. If your cruise must unfortunately be cancelled & nothing else is booked at that time, try requesting a voucher for future use. You've purchased travel insurance - doesn't necessarily have to be applied to a cruise.

My personal opinion - at the time of booking we're only on the hook for the deposit, which might be as little as $200, so why pay for the insurance then? Don't know how much the total cost of the adventure might be so how can I possibly know how much coverage to buy? At insuremytrip.com & squaremouth.com (2 comparison sites) I can take my time looking around. Some policies require purchase w/in 14-21 days of booking. Some allow purchase up to final payment & still cover pre-existing conditions (read those definitions very carefully!). That's the one I buy. :)

Happy shopping, happy cruising - just be sure to read & understand before signing on the dotted line. ;)

We buy car insurance & if we cancel it, or transfer to a difference carrier or sell the car, do we expect a refund? No.
YES ... prorated for the unused part of the policy term. Also house insurance. At least in FL ... maybe not that way in all states. :)

We buy health insurance & if we're blessed w/excellent health & don't ever file a claim, do we request a premium refund? No.
I believe that if you pay an annual lump premium and cancel during the year you will get a partial refund. However, I believe most people pay monthly, so the most you could ever get back on a cancellation would be a couple of weeks' worth.

• 3 months later...

So if I purchase the Platinum CPP insurance at $159 a passenger, and decide 3 days before the cruise that I can't go on it, I get a 90% refund? Spo I basically lost 10% and the travel insurance fee?

Can someone confirm/deny that?

Thanks!

We used Berkley Insurance for a Princess cruise last year. We always take out cruise insurance and never had reason to use it. Shortly before this cruise, a close relative became very ill and we had to cancel the cruise. Berkley was wonderful to deal with. They were very kind and professional in their conversations with us. We were reimbursed 100 per cent. The process of filing the claim was straight forward and smooth.

Great information. Thanks.:)

Archived