Miami Port Disembarking off LOS - What to do before flight home?

dual

Hello all

I am on the LOS Thanksgiving cruise in November 09 and we arrive back in Miami Port early on 29th November (about 7am I understand). My flight back home to the UK from Miami Airport isnt until 5.30pm.

Looking at my booking - its seems its off the ship and straight to the airport - which is a mammoth wait really - I guess we could be at the airport within an hour so check in wouldnt even be open at that time for me to get rid of my bags :(

Can anyone who knows the area suggest what we may be able to do in that time other than hanging around the airport? I'd love to do some shopping - but humping our bags about doesnt appeal to me at all.

I have one night booked in Wyndham Miami Airport Hotel pre cruise - but nothing post cruise - are hotels amenable to offering us use of their facilities for a few hours do you think if I stayed there post cruise?

It would really be just to relax a bit - leave our luggage etc to be able to go out and about.

Alternatively, does the airport have a baggage hold facility? Im assuming in these days of terrorism airports dont want to be holding on to bags pre flight.

I hope Im making sense above and any ideas on what to do and possible shopping areas near the airport would be most useful.

Many thanks :)

Hi

We have been in this situation a couple of times and have made the mistake of going straight to the airport where we sat for hours and hours and hours :(

We have promised ourselves that we will never do this again!

You could book a room at a hotel for day use only so that you could leave your luggage there and have somewhere to freshen up before that lovely overnight flight home ;)

You could look into doing an excursion on that last day but you would have to check what time they would drop you back at the airport as I'm not sure what time it returns...I think it is an everglades tour.

Believe me anything is better than sitting at the airport :D

Cruisequeen

Thanks for your reply - I was only looking just last night at my booking (via Thomas Cook) and realised its a heck of a long time to be at the airport.

Its a group of 16 of us so I know some may just want to rest up but I know I will want to do something - along with maybe a few others.

I really would love to do a bit of shopping and it would kill some time :)

I was just surfing the net and I understand there may be a shopping mall named Dolphin mall nearby somewhere - but hopefully some other posters can offer up some suggestions for shopping.

Hi

Yes you're right there is a mall called The Dolphin, we went there on our 2 day pre-cruise stay...it was ok I have been in better ones I think there is one called Saw Grass Mills (?) but am not exactly sure how far away that one is maybe another CC member could tell you.

They have improved the airport recently but you really don't want to spend more time there than you have to! Every 15 minutes or so there is an announcement to tell you what the time is and after about 8 hours it does get a bit annoying :D The first year we cruised from Miami our flight home wasn't until 20.40 and we were at the airport at 09.30...not fun:(

**just checked and sawgrass mills mall is 30 miles from miami airport**

I'd check the price for a day room, and the price for taking an earlier flight....You will most likely be off the ship by 8:30 am...that's a loooooong time to "hang around".

Whichever option is less expensive, is the one I'd choose!

There is a hotel on the airport concourse, sorry the name escapes me which has a pool deck.

This is the reason we now never fly home the day the ship docks,we book into a bayside hotel, they will take your luggage real early then we have a bit of a shop, leisurely breakfast and a walk around before leaving for the airport and as you said the lovely overnight flight home.

We tend to do our own flights and last time we flew Miami to Boston then a few hours wait, great meal in Boston airport then a much shorter flight across the atlantic to Heathrow and then back to Newcastle.

Hello all

Alternatively, does the airport have a baggage hold facility? Im assuming in these days of terrorism airports dont want to be holding on to bags pre flight.

Many thanks :)

It did a year ago.........have a baggage hold facility.

If you go to the RCCL website you can check out shore excursions for Miami. We did the everglades tour a few years ago with ncl and really liked it. You get to go on an airboat and walk within feet of live crocs!

We do this trip every year so can confirm you will not be able to check in your bags with BA until just before the flight.

With a group of 16 I would have thought you could have arranged a private coach trip for the day, lots of companies on the net. Alternatively RCCL do a Miami sights trip in between getting off the ship and going to the airport.

The best Mall is Aventura which is in the North Beach area (top of Collins Ave, ish !) about 20 miles away. If you did your own trip that would be an excellent shopping stop, provided you have the baggage capacity of course !!

Luv

Cy

:)

You might want to visit the Florida Board - lots of info over there, in fact, this topic will probably be moved over there soon by the administrators.

You might also want to check into renting a car or two and going in different directions. The rental companies have port pickup and airport drop off.

As others have mentioned - check through your travel agency for a day trip for the entire group. On the FLorida page there are hotels mentioned with day rates.

have fun!

there is always the luggage valet option the RC offer from Miami. I'm thinking of doing this and getting a cab to south beach then a cab to airtport as our flight home is 3pm on 20th Nov. too earlier for a RC trip inc airport transfer.

We were on LOS on Aug 1 - 8th this year. We booked Everglades tour thru RCCL. It was very convenient. We disembarked at 7 am and were taken directly to buses. All our luggage fit neatly into the bus storage bins. We were dropped off at the Airport at around 11 am.

Also, the name of the hotel in Concourse E is Miami International Airport Hotel. I belive they offer day rooms. It is not a great hotel by any stretch of imagination but it is extremely convenient.

Archived