Carnival or Princess Cruise for less kids

sjkey20

My husband & I just booked our first cruise on the Carnival Legend for 7 nights in Jan 2010. He's worried there will be lots of kids running around. Not that we don't like kids but are celebrating our 35th anniversary and looking forward to a peaceful time. Did I mess up with Carnival?

My husband & I just booked our first cruise on the Carnival Legend for 7 nights in Jan 2010. He's worried there will be lots of kids running around. Not that we don't like kids but are celebrating our 35th anniversary and looking forward to a peaceful time. Did I mess up with Carnival?

If it is after the first week I suspect you'll find few kids on either. But I'd still expect to see some, more likely on Carnival then Princess. If you really want to avoid the little guys you likely need to go more premium then the mainstream lines.

BTW welcome :D

If you want to avoid kids try HAL or Celebrity. We have been on the Legend were not too impressed with it or with Carnival. Depending on when you cruise will also make a big difference in the number of kids on a ship. Also some cruise lines have better children's programs than others. Unfortunately it ultimately comes down to how the parents watch over their kids and unfortunately our experience on Carnival was that they did a terrible job. But we have also seen this happen on other 7 day cruises when parents want to have a vacation and assume that their little monsters will behave themselves. Unfortunately the crew ability to discipline the children is very limited and many of them just look at you like you are crazy if you try it and some parents will come and yell at you if you do. I saw a guy tell some younger kids they shouldn't be in the jacuzzi where a sign was posted saying that and the kids father showed up and yelled loudly that his kids could go whatever they wanted. When a crew member was contacted and he finally showed up the kids finally got out but I suspect as soon as he left they went back in.

Once again if you want a cruise line with a minimal amount of kids try HAL. There will be more on a 7 day than on longer cruises but still will be many fewer than Carnival or RCCL.

Have a great next cruise.

When you go is more critical than which line you go on. If you are going after the 5th or so of Jan, most kids will be back in school after the holiday break, so most parent's won't pull the kids from school then. If you are going over New Years' week, there will be a lot of kids on just about every line. Same with winter and spring break. Also, if a line has a great deal, like "kids sail free", some parents may be more likely to pull the kids from school for a week. Partiularly if it's a 7 day cruise. Less likely on a 10 day or longer. Last year we did a 12 day on RCI (also popular for kids). It was in January. I don't recall seeing ANY kids on that sailing.

PRINCESS!!!!

Go look at this thread 21 pages and 410 responses from Carnival "fun" loving parents care little about school! They pull their kids out whenever they can for a cruise. Looks like it don't matter when you sail on Carnival there will be lots of kids :eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1046419&page=21

You do NOT want Carnival! Yikes :eek:

Princess is better, but I believe you would be much much happier with Celebrity, Holland America, or Crystal.

I don't think many cruises will be altogether kid free, but you will probably get fewer if you go when schools are typically in session.

But beware there are quite a few schools now that are year round and get breaks when you least expect them.

January is a good time to cruise if you want less kids. Of the mainstream lines you will find more children on Carnival and Royal Carib. Princess and Celebrity have less children and HAL probably the least.

Since you have a choice I definately suggest you go with Princess.

We sail during the "off times" and generally see few children. They're there but generally active in the Kid's Programs. We've been on Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Princess and RCCL.

More important will be what you want out of the cruise itself. The cruise lines we've been on have been, IMHO, more alike than different.

Hope you have a great anniversary cruise.

Charlie

In January this year on the Coral I don't recall even seeing a child aboard. In December '07 on a Christmas/New Years cruise on the Diamond it was wall to wall children...so it varies acording to the time of year and length of cruise but I think I would go with Princess.

PRINCESS!!!!

Go look at this thread 21 pages and 410 responses from Carnival "fun" loving parents care little about school! They pull their kids out whenever they can for a cruise. Looks like it don't matter when you sail on Carnival there will be lots of kids :eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1046419&page=21

My last Princess cruise had a ton of kids- so did my last HAL cruise-fortunately they were well behaved both times for the most part. Sometimes I think it is the "luck of the draw."

In January this year on the Coral I don't recall even seeing a child aboard. In December '07 on a Christmas/New Years cruise on the Diamond it was wall to wall children...so it varies acording to the time of year and length of cruise but I think I would go with Princess.

Isn't that a 10 day for a partial Panama transit, or 14 day if it is a full transit? I think that is the itinerary of that ship.

I would think any cruise over 7 days, outside of Christmas and Thanksgiving, would have less kids.

Archived