Hurricane Jimena

Sgt. Jeff

We actually had real rain this morning for the first time since last September. Thunder, lightening and wind...the whole works. Lasted about 30 minutes and now back to sunny and hot. Port Captain had port closed until 10am but has reopened. Looks like a duck pond at the moment. Seas are huge though just due south. Any interary changes are made they will be announced this evening with Splendor, Elation and Mariner for next weeks calls here. Fingers crossed it will not develope to the projected Cat 4 as it passes just West of here sometime Tuesday with up to 10" rain. But no worries...my cats have their swim floaties on and ready :) My dog is still working on his paddle stroke though!

We actually had real rain this morning for the first time since last September. Thunder, lightening and wind...the whole works. Lasted about 30 minutes and now back to sunny and hot. Port Captain had port closed until 10am but has reopened. Looks like a duck pond at the moment. Seas are huge though just due south. Any interary changes are made they will be announced this evening with Splendor, Elation and Mariner for next weeks calls here. Fingers crossed it will not develope to the projected Cat 4 as it passes just West of here sometime Tuesday with up to 10" rain. But no worries...my cats have their swim floaties on and ready :) My dog is still working on his paddle stroke though!

Please keep us updated on the conditions there!!! I'm sure the folks that are boarding cruises tomorrow will want to keep up with the hurricane.... I hope this storm doesn't mess up anybodys vacation.

Looks like Tuesday & Wednesday of next week could be the diciest for Cabo. Not so much because of the hurricane itself. It appears it will stay well offshore. The problem will be tendering in Cabo if the sea state gets to high because of the storm.

I wonder how the cruise lines will handle this?? I wonder if they will even risk going south towards the storm?

Spoke to the Elation a few hours ago...they are on the way. Gonna try to come on Monday but head out that night. Seriously doubt port will be open if the winds are as forecasted for 20mph out of south...which will make the bay like a washing machine!

Please keep us updated on the conditions there!!! I'm sure the folks that are boarding cruises tomorrow will want to keep up with the hurricane.... I hope this storm doesn't mess up anybodys vacation.

It was a gorgous day...after the rain shower early this morning. Still winds, flat bay, blue sky and HOT. There were some dark clouds north of San Jose but CSL was clear. Just checked out on my terraza, lots of stars out. But then again, forecast is 50% rain tonight, 40% manana, 50% lunes and 100% martes. I will keep you updated.

We are closely monitoring the progress of Hurricane Jimena which is currently located about 250 miles southwest of Puerta Vallarta, Mexico.

Due to the location of the storm, the Carnival Splendor August 30 cruise from Long Beach will visit Catalina on Monday and Ensenada on Tuesday. We are still evaluating the itinerary options for the Carnival Elation August 29 departure from San Diego. Additional information will be available later today.

We will navigate our ships at a safe distance from the storm at all times. Our number one priority is the safety and comfort of our guests and crew.

It is officially...Jeff...I hope all this storm goes away by the time you travel next week...we will keep the ship nice and clean for ya to pardy!!!!!

I am more concerned about it messing up anybodys property or lives that live there!!!:eek:

Storm surge can still cause flooding even if the hurricane doesn't' make landfall.

For Jeff leaving in 6 days - you should be fine but I will caution you that the ocean will churn up a lot of debris and colder water as well. So it's "possible" that the water around Cabo could be a little colder than normal and the snorkeling "may" be less than perfect as well.

Heard from the Elation about 1 hour ago...they decided not to come manana - that is what I was trying to tell them last night. All here is very calm. The stores are empty and no one seems to know that there is a storm. I am heading to lumber yard to have some plywood cut for my front windows. Gonna try out my new drill and see if I can attach to my bars. This should be fun!

Heard from the Elation about 1 hour ago...they decided not to come manana - that is what I was trying to tell them last night. All here is very calm. The stores are empty and no one seems to know that there is a storm. I am heading to lumber yard to have some plywood cut for my front windows. Gonna try out my new drill and see if I can attach to my bars. This should be fun!

My prayrers are with you and all of the people in Cabo!!

Storm surge can still cause flooding even if the hurricane doesn't' make landfall.

For Jeff leaving in 6 days - you should be fine but I will caution you that the ocean will churn up a lot of debris and colder water as well. So it's "possible" that the water around Cabo could be a little colder than normal and the snorkeling "may" be less than perfect as well.

Thanks!! We actually had only booked the zip line for Cabo....I just hope the folks stay safe!

Well thanks to this hurricane, we canceled our cruise with Carnival today on the Splendor. Got a credit for the cancellation. Did not want to visit Catalina and Ensenada. I hope the hurricane does not cause too much trouble for the people in the area.

If there is a silver lining for us, well were flying out tomorrow to Cancun, and staying at the Dreams Resort. I heard it is nice there, so the wife and I decided to take the kids there and check it out.

NOAA is only putting the chance of hurricane force winds of any level in Cabo as 27%. There is no chance of hurricane force winds in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta.

Most likely (80% chance), Cabo will experience tropical storm force winds and some rain, which is a nice storm but usually not much cause for concern as far as damage is concerned.

Hurricane Jimena is a strong category 4 storm right now, but it is very small (hurricane winds extend out only 25 miles), and looks to be turning to the NW, so if it doesn't hit Cabo almost dead on, which it's current track doesn't appear to be predicting, then it has comparatively little capacity to cause any significant damage.

That is of this hour. Hopefully it stays that way.

Of course, ships will still have to be diverted as a precaution for a couple days, but should resume normal sailings by later this week.

NOAA is only putting the chance of hurricane force winds of any level in Cabo as 27%. There is no chance of hurricane force winds in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta.

Most likely (80% chance), Cabo will experience tropical storm force winds and some rain, which is a nice storm but usually not much cause for concern as far as damage is concerned.

Hurricane Jimena is a strong category 4 storm right now, but it is very small (hurricane winds extend out only 25 miles), and looks to be turning to the NW, so if it doesn't hit Cabo almost dead on, which it's current track doesn't appear to be predicting, then it has comparatively little capacity to cause any significant damage.

That is of this hour. Hopefully it stays that way.

Of course, ships will still have to be diverted as a precaution for a couple days, but should resume normal sailings by later this week.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Please keep us posted!!

Archived