Hurricane Jimena

Sgt. Jeff

Ouch! Dry, dirty, & hot. Have a great time!

But the arroyos may have some water running down them at Costa Azul and Tule for those ziplines and the one of Cabo Dolphins should be okay...depends on how much rain Boca area gets.

Latest word from Splendor is they are skipping PV and Mazatlan (Ensenada and Catalina) but will be here on Friday as usual. Mariner is 90% sure they will be here on Friday too. Forecast is clear skies and hot like a normal day. What the big questions will be is the rain runoff murking up the water and the swells in the bay.....????

Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Please keep us posted!!

Gracias! It is the people in the tarpaper huts and little shacks on the edges town and along the dry river beds that I worry about. Alot of people have no idea of any storm out there. Grocery store and Walmart crowds still normal this afternoon. Word is starting to get out though. I went by Home Depot to get the plywood for my windows...every gringo in a 20mile radius of Cabo must have been there with same idea! Seriously, the entire parking lot was full of Hummers and various other SUVs. Not wanting to spend the next few hours waiting in line at HD, I drove out by the little Cabo airport. Pulled up at a tiny lumber yard I have passed by before (it really is a yard with a chicken wire fence around with stacks of lumber) and I was the only customer. I asked the owner if he had plywood, si. Asked if he could cut it for me since I was soltera, si. Dah moment #1, I remembered I left my cash at home so he asked for the measurements and said he would start cutting. Got the cash and was back in 20 minutes and the wood was ready for me. Dah moment #2, thinking it would fit in the back of my car. No problemo...they deliver for free! But the best part yet was when I asked him how much 3 sheets of 2ply ($529 pesos each at Home Depot), plus cutting, plus wire to attach to my bars...the total came out to be $500 pesos (less than $40US)! So the guy followed me home and then carried it all upstairs for me! I love Mexico and chivelry. Gave him $100 pesos for some beer since it was a HOT afternoon. And it took me less than 40 minutes.

Boards are up on my bars, have lots of food, supplies and water and I don't care if the storm stops and heads out to sea. After locking myself and my 2 kittens inside my bathroom in Cozumel, hearing parts of my house being blown off and with water rising inside my house almost 4 years ago... I don't care if I have boards up for nothing. Hurricane Wilma went from a cat 1 to a cat 5 in less than a day and was aiming far away from Cozumel and then she changed her mind...we had less than 36 hours to prepare...no one was ready for the 53 hours she sat on top of the island. I don't care if I bought alot of food and supplies, hurricane predicting is not an exact science. At least I tried my best just in case Jimena changes her mind.

I will report more manana on how things are looking around here and what the weather is doing. Regardless of Tuesday and Wednesday here, Friday is supposed to be back to sunny and HOT for the Splendor and Mariner's arrival.

Latest from SCT (the government division of port and marine waters) still has Jimena passing just to the west of us late Tuesday. Currently the winds are 232 KPH. or 145 MPH with gusts at 287 KPH or 179 MPH and they are predicting it to get abit stronger. The eye is 10 nautical miles across. Hurricane winds extend getting tighter to center with 50MPH winds out to 70 miles from eye wall. Seas of 12FT+ extend out 180miles in our quadrant! It has slowed to 6.7MPH and moving NNW with a projected turn to NE. Expected landfall is somewhere between Magdalena Bay and Cabo with sustained winds of 150MPH or higher. They have placed Cabo under a severe alert for high waves, winds, and rain. But still Friday is projected to be clear, sunny and hot!

NOAA has lowered the chance of hurricane-force winds in Cabo San Lucas to 22% and San Jose del Cabo to 16% as of this hour.

Landfall is currently projected to be between Todos Santos and Magdalena Bay, north of Cabo San Lucas. They are projecting that it will weaken a little bit as it approaches land, which is a good thing for those folks, though a category 3 hurricane is certainly something for everyone in that area to be very concerned about.

It is so dark outside...usually by this time the sun is up, birds singing in the jardin. But nothing. Very still and dark so I can't even get a good look at the sky. New forecast sounds better. I wouldn't mind alittle rain though.

Buenos dias todos! The sun finally made it up but its very overcast and kinda dark but temps are nice. Water in marina is very high. The winds are light and the marina water is calm. There has been a slight drizzle for past half hour. People are starting to take precautions...marina gas station/floating store has been taken out, awnings being taken down, boats being secured. More info later...

NOAA has lowered the chance of hurricane-force winds in Cabo San Lucas to 22% and San Jose del Cabo to 16% as of this hour.

Landfall is currently projected to be between Todos Santos and Magdalena Bay, north of Cabo San Lucas. They are projecting that it will weaken a little bit as it approaches land, which is a good thing for those folks, though a category 3 hurricane is certainly something for everyone in that area to be very concerned about.

I sure hope it does weaken!!

This is the part that is not sounding good...

Estimated minimum central pressure is 940 mb...27.76 inches.

Jimena is expected to produce total rain accumulations of 5 to 10

inches over the southern half of the Baja California peninsula and

portions of western Mexico during the next 2 days...with possible

isolated maximum amounts of 15 inches.

A storm surge along with large and dangerous battering waves will

produce significant coastal flooding along the Baja California

peninsula.

Just found this thread. CC is great. Heard Mariner is reversing the order of ports this week to try and avoid the worst of the storm.

We are boarding the Mariner next Sunday (9/6). Don't care which order the ports are in except we booked a tour with Mazarlan Frank who says we are good to go on Wednesday, but will have to be excorted by one of his friends if we dock on Thursday. This was to be a makeup cruise, as we couldn't dock in Mexico last spring due to Swine Flu. Now this. Oh well.

Hope all you Cabo posters remain safe and dry. When you can, please continue to post updates and good luck.

Things still quiet weatherwise but people scurring out and about preparing. Splendor and Mariner still planning on arrival on Friday and Elation on Saturday...we shall see. Here are a couple of pictures I took a few mins ago. Hope I don't need them for before and after photos...the 1st is looking out towards the bay from corner of the marina, next is the awnings at the pier being taken down, third is the construction site of the new cultural center, 4th is Soloman's Landing and last are the signs being covered around the sidewalk.

IMG_0549.jpg.a0bdce07129e7ca035e0d1875af0ebb0.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg.373ab71fa84adaf945a73bf17627daf2.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg.edd6657c873ab6c3e246441cde8753e4.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg.23e2c908125085be9380f0a16e93d303.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg.25d573aee5bed648f034db9cfd0ffc7d.jpg

Just found this thread. CC is great. Heard Mariner is reversing the order of ports this week to try and avoid the worst of the storm.

We are boarding the Mariner next Sunday (9/6). Don't care which order the ports are in except we booked a tour with Mazarlan Frank who says we are good to go on Wednesday, but will have to be excorted by one of his friends if we dock on Thursday. This was to be a makeup cruise, as we couldn't dock in Mexico last spring due to Swine Flu. Now this. Oh well.

Hope all you Cabo posters remain safe and dry. When you can, please continue to post updates and good luck.

If it's his friend Tomato...you will have a wonderful time! He is a great host and tour guide!

Things still quiet weatherwise but people scurring out and about preparing. Splendor and Mariner still planning on arrival on Friday and Elation on Saturday...we shall see. Here are a couple of pictures I took a few mins ago. Hope I don't need them for before and after photos...the 1st is looking out towards the bay from corner of the marina, next is the awnings at the pier being taken down, third is the construction site of the new cultural center, 4th is Soloman's Landing and last are the signs being covered around the sidewalk.

I really appreciate you keeping us posted on Cabo. We have a very large roll call that leaves on the Splendor this Sunday and I'm gonna pass along this thread to them so they can keep up too!

Thank you for the updates. Leaving on the Elation this Thursday. Hoping everyone makes it through the storm safe and sound.

If it's his friend Tomato...you will have a wonderful time! He is a great host and tour guide!

Thanks. I don't know at this time, what the plan is. I had arranged for a group of 10 to go with Frank for the day and I'm hoping that we will be able to go as planned. Right now, it appears that Jimena will be over by the time we leave on Sunday and Kevin is going in a more northerly direction. While the ship may be bouncing around, the itinerary should not change.

"Wait and see" is the phrase of the day.

I will pop outside weather permitting manana and if we have electricity, I will try to post. The city last year cut off electricity section by section around the city as a precaution. We shall see.... I forgot to get ice so back out I go...it is very calm and quiet out now. Just spitting rain and major overcast.

Oops...correction, I got home about an hour ago and the winds were still. Just opened my front door and it is getting breezy. Winds directly from the south and sky is dark.

Oh great...she is now a category 5 with wind gusts up to 306KPH moving at 17KPH. Winds expected to increase over the next few hours. Still no real rain or heavy winds but she is about 250 miles away. Fingers crossed really hard now.

Oh great...she is now a category 5 with wind gusts up to 306KPH moving at 17KPH. Winds expected to increase over the next few hours. Still no real rain or heavy winds but she is about 250 miles away. Fingers crossed really hard now.

Thanks for the update. May I suggest you not only keep your fingers crossed, as we all are, but somehow grab on to something solid at the same time. We don't want to lose you. :eek:

Gracias for the prayers and well wishes! The weird part is that it is soooo calm here, light wind, no rain. Just helped my neighbor board up one of her windows. I need a massage, dang my back hurts and my knee looks like a melon. Starting to feel my age. The one thing I miss from the states is Aleve. I only have 2 left, should I take them now or ration them?! Plan on getting up early and winds allowing, going down to beach with the neighbor to make some sand bags for her back door since it tends to flood. Think I will keep the Aleves until tomorrow and maybe wash them down with a glass of vino! Hoping next NOAA, SCT or anyones update has better news.

Gracias for the prayers and well wishes! The weird part is that it is soooo calm here, light wind, no rain. Just helped my neighbor board up one of her windows. I need a massage, dang my back hurts and my knee looks like a melon. Starting to feel my age. The one thing I miss from the states is Aleve. I only have 2 left, should I take them now or ration them?! Plan on getting up early and winds allowing, going down to beach with the neighbor to make some sand bags for her back door since it tends to flood. Think I will keep the Aleves until tomorrow and maybe wash them down with a glass of vino! Hoping next NOAA, SCT or anyones update has better news.

Try here for Aleve. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=aleve+online&cts=1251774011348&aq=3&oq=aleve+on&aqi=g4

Archived